FIBA Americas

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i guess i'm the only basketball junkie who has been watching these games...

needless to say, the USA is destroying the weak competition in Group B. Brazil is the next best team in their group, and they don't have a cohesive team. Tiago Splitter (white), their most gifted big man and probably most talented player, gets frozen out a lot. mostly by the constant chucking of Leandro Barbosa (black). Splitter looked good against the USA, though. he was the only Brazilian to do so.

meanwhile, all-white Argentina is undefeated through 4 games. even without 4 of their normal starters.

without Manu Ginobili, Andres Nocioni, Pepe Sanchez, or Fabricio Oberto andonly one player on their roster with NBA experience (combo-guard Carlos Delfino of the Toronto Raptors), they have navigated Group A with nary a loss. even yesterday's overtime win against Panama showed their mentaltoughness.

with their best available player, Delfino, on the bench nearly the wholegame with foul trouble, Luis Scola (who signed with the Houston Rockets in July) and company found a way to stay close despite going ice cold from the floor. when Delfino re-entered the game he took over, and the Agentines overcame a 7-point deficit with just over a minute left to play to force overtime.

they went on to blow out the weakPanama team in the overtime period. it was an example of a jump-shooting team going stone cold but still finding a way to win.

if you've not watched the Argentinian National Team play, you should check them out. they play an exciting, unselfish style of hoops. the FIBA America games are being aired on Fox Sports and ESPN2.

also, here is the link to the FIBA America site. http://www.fibaamericas.com/torneos1_us.asp?t=JMXULHQIUS

white tornado

Mentor
Ive been watching the games the U.S. looks amazing. Brazil looks pretty good with Barbosa and Splitter. I havent seen Argintina play yet but Im sure they will make the finals. The rest of the teams realy suck though.

G

It's an olympic qualifier tournament. The US has to finish 1 or 2 to make the games. The other good teams are already in, so they don't have to bother with this tournament and do not have their best players.Edited by: nevada

Here's an entry about Splitter's hometown -- looks like he could be of
German heritage:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blumenau

The province he's from, Santa Catarina, is 88 percent white.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
you must have caught Brazil on a night when Barbosa was knocking down his shot. they look FAR different when he isn't. why? because he shoots just as much and it really disrupts their flow.

they don't run nearly enough plays or give enough looks to Splitter, in my opinion. he's a good player.

and the USA is looking good, but they've not played anyone yet. Brazil is the best other team in their Group, and Brazil sucks. even Canada played without Steve Nash, and that is like the Colts playing without Peyton Manning.

white tornado

Mentor
I agree that Brasil is not nearley as good when barbosa is off. Barbosa is still the best player on the team. Saw the game yesterday Splitter played alot but I agree they need run more plays for him. Nash if he played would have to score 40 a game (witch he could do easaly) for canida not to suck.

I hope the usa wins out and the dream team hipe comes back for the olimpics next year.

Wolverine

white tornado said:
I hope the usa wins out and the dream team hipe comes back for the olimpics next year.

Agreed. We haven't sent our best players to the Olympics since '96. The 2000 Vince Carter gold medal team wasnice, but this is the first time we sentthe best of the best since the mid 90's. The novelty of playing in the Olympics wore off after the firstfew times, and the other countries were beating our lower tier players.It's nice to see the Kobe finally get some patriotism.

Even though Dwight Howard is a monster, he and Amare aren't emough. I'dlike to see Kevin Garnett and/or Tim Duncan in there instead of Tyson Chandler.We're still a little undersized especially when Carmelo's forced top playing power forward. We also need a healthy Dwyane Wade in there instead of Chauncey Billups.

PitBull

Guru
Gosh, could you gush a little bit more over the all-black "Team USA"?

I won't be rooting for "Team USA" because they are all-black. Race is my
team. I will root for the euros, thanks.

Wolverine

I'll root/"gush"/cheer/follow/support the red white and blue any day of the week over foreigners whether it's the all-black basketball team or the all-white swim team. As long as we wipe up the court/track/pool with our competition,I frankly couldn't care less what racethey are.

Wolverine said:
white tornado said:

Agreed. We haven't sent our best players to the Olympics since '96. The 2000 Vince Carter gold medal team was nice, but this is the first time we sent the best of the best since the mid 90's. The novelty of playing in the Olympics wore off after the first few times, and the other countries were beating our lower tier players. It's nice to see the Kobe finally get some patriotism.

Even though Dwight Howard is a monster, he and Amare aren't emough. I'd like to see Kevin Garnett and/or Tim Duncan in there instead of Tyson Chandler. We're still a little undersized especially when Carmelo's forced top playing power forward. We also need a healthy Dwyane Wade in there instead of Chauncey Billups.
Tim Duncan isn't American.

Team USA doesn't always take their biggest stars, they like to choose a few role players who don't need to shoot 20 times a game. Too many stars = a selfish, disfunctional team. Especially if they're black.

Wolverine

TorontoArgos said:
Tim Duncan isn't American.

Team USA doesn't always take their biggest stars, they like to choose a few role players who don't need to shoot 20 times a game. Too many stars = a selfish, disfunctional team. Especially if they're black.

I'm not sure if you were trying to be funny or not, butTim Duncanplayed for Team USA in2004, no? He hails from the U.S.VirginIslands.They didn't field an international team until 2004, so he's been playing for the US since he was 18. HakeemOlajuwon played for Dream Team IIdespite his beingnon-American. International rules also allow you to play for the country of whom you retain citizenship.Track stars also emigrate toother countries all the time to compete.

As far asDreamTeams I and II, they werethe biggest stars in the league.What Barcelona participant was a"role player" on his NBA team?

Dream Team I - 1992

Charles Barkley
Larry Bird
Clyde Drexler
Patrick Ewing
Earvin Johnson
Michael Jordan
Karl Malone
Chris Mullin
Scottie Pippen
John Stockton
David Robinson

Who was the "role player" in Atlanta?

Dream Team II - 1996

Charles Barkley
Anfernee Hardaway
Grant Hill
Hakeem Olajuwon
Karl Malone
Reggie Miller
Shaquille O'Neal
Gary Payton
Scottie Pippen
Mitch Richmond
David Robinson
John Stockton

They were all the best of the best. By the time Sydney rolled around in 2000, NBA superstarswere 8 years into international play, and were boredwith cleaning the other countries' clocks. They started using every excuse in thebook to not go.Shaq didn't play, even though he was the league MVP. Karl Malone, Kobe Bryant, Grant Hill, Allen Iverson,Chris Webber, and David Robinson allalso stayed home despite being second and third team All-NBA.We were forced to send second tier players yet still won.

Dream Team III - 2000

Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Ray Allen
Vin Baker
Vince Carter
Kevin Garnett
Tim Hardaway
Allan Houston
Jason Kidd
Antonio McDyess
Alonzo Mourning
Gary Payton
Steve Smith

The terrorist attacks allowed the stars to opt out of Greece in '04without looking unpatriotic. We put together a bizarre mish mosh of spare parts including freshly drafted Emeka Okafor, Carlos Boozer, Richard Jefferson, Lamar Odom, and Stephon Marbury! Then we tossed in 3untested rookies LeBron James,Carmelo Anthony, and Dwyane Wade.I was shocked we even won the bronze with that motley crew. Shaq O'Neal, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Tracey McGrady,Vince Carter, Chris Webber,Jason Kidd, Jermaine O'Neal, and Gilbert Arenas all stayed home.

Beijing willbe thefirst Olympic games since1996 we sent a legitimate Dream Team-type squad.Edited by: Wolverine

guest301

Hall of Famer
Wolverine said:
I'll root/"gush"/cheer/follow/support the red white and blue any day of the week over foreigners whether it's the all-black basketball team or the all-white swim team.  As long as we wipe up the court/track/pool with our competition, I frankly couldn't care less what race they are.

I usually root for my country too in most situations regardless of color but with the caste system slowly but surely bringing down the white athlete and casting us aside, I have no problem rooting against the latest Dream team. Maybe if they had more than just a lone white guy on the team (Mike Miller) and had maybe JJ Reddick, Hinrich and Morrison on the team, I would feel differently. But when all white Argentina, Lithuania, Greece and Italy beat our dream team(which they all have done in recent years) I get a big kick out of that. I also think that sends a loud message to those who believe in the absolute inferiority of the white athlete, it makes them do a little rethinking about that. So if my country has to lose a basketball game to accomplish that ..so be it. I am still a patriot, I support and pray for the troops and not necessarily our athletes.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Wolverine said:
I'll root/"gush"/cheer/follow/support the red white and blue any day of the week over foreigners whether it's the all-black basketball team or the all-white swim team.  As long as we wipe up the court/track/pool with our competition, I frankly couldn't care less what race they are.

You're in the minority here and with good reason. Just because they paste a red, white and blue sticker on something doesn't make it "American". This is a site for celebrating white athletes, not American ones. Most people here are true to that and I really don't see why anyone who feels differently would be here? Should we cheer black boxers who are American but insult white people? That would be stupid. here is an excerpt from a JB Cash article during the last international basketball tournament that sums it up nicely.

Some people have told me that they are uncomfortable rooting against the US team but found themselves doing it anyway during this game. They say they felt like traitors. But I don't know why? It's just a game. The outcome is not of vital national interest. Furthermore one should not feel uncomfortable rooting for those of one's own race against another race anyway. It's natural and normal. Certainly few criticize black people for doing it. When blacks rush to support an OJ Simpson, or a Michael Jackson, or any number of criminals that they riot in support of, virtually nobody thinks anything about it. So why shouldn't it be perfectly acceptable for white people to cheer for other whites?

If your son or daughter was playing for another country would you root for them? Isn't race just extended family? For instance I have some Italian ancestors. It's possible that someone on the basketball team is a distant relative. At any rate they are all European, just as are all of my ancestors. Additionally I know of no good reason to feel any kinship towards the players on the US team. Other then being forced to finance them through my tax dollars given to the Olympic committee I have nothing in common with them.

In point of fact I don't even like them. They are all urban blacks that support and represent a culture I abhor. I know the culture they come from. They despise the things I value. Our country's heroes, like George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison, are considered evil slave owners by their culture. Their culture is violent and unpleasant. It has destroyed the once beautiful cities of America. It is unsafe to travel in the inner cities, the place that produces an Allan Iverson or Lebron James. I have traveled all over Italy and never experienced the fear I feel in our large cities. In fact you can go all over Europe and not find a frightening ghetto similar to the ones that exist in the US. Actually I should clarify that. There are now areas in Europe that are unsafe. The reason? African immigrants.

I also see no reason to cheer for US blacks in other Olympic events such as track and field. If they compete against a white athlete from another country I will root against them. I doubt that the athletes would mind. They have no qualms against living, training, and earning a living in the US then competing as a member of the Jamaican or Bahamian Olympic team. It is my experience that most black people don't even seem to like the United States. They speak about the USA like it is a foreign government that kidnapped them and brought them here. I'm sure they only compete for the US because of the money they will get in endorsements and sponsorship. If their "patriotism" can be so shallow, them my "patriotism" can be based on those I consider members of my culture, my race, and my family.

Wolverine

guest301 said:
Wolverine said:
I'll root/"gush"/cheer/follow/support the red white and blue any day of the week over foreigners whether it's the all-black basketball team or the all-white swim team. As long as we wipe up the court/track/pool with our competition,I frankly couldn't care less what racethey are.

I usually root for my country too in most situations regardless of color but with the caste system slowly but surely bringing down the white athlete and casting us aside, I have no problem rooting against the latest Dream team. Maybe if they had more than just a lone white guy on the team (Mike Miller) and had maybe JJ Reddick, Hinrich and Morrison on the team, I would feel differently. But when all white Argentina, Lithuania, Greece and Italy beat our dream team(which they all have done in recent years) I get a big kick out of that. I also think that sends a loud message to those who believe in the absolute inferiority of the white athlete, it makes them do a little rethinking about that. So if my country has to lose a basketball game to accomplish that ..so be it. I am still a patriot, I support and pray for the troops and not necessarily our athletes.

Those countries didn't beat our Dream Teams.. their absolute best players beat our junior varsity. Our true Dream Teamersas I detailed in the last post, didn't feel the competition was worthy of ruining their summers. It's gonna be like when we play Argentina in a few days. Their best players are gonna sit it out, and we're gonna crush them. Puerto Rico beat our junior varsity in 2004by 19 points last time we played them, while our varsityjust disemboweled them by 39.

This is what Chris Mannix of SI said:

"1. The U.S. really has no competition

For those of you waiting on Argentina, don't bother. Even the defending gold medalists don't stand a chance. Besides not having their full complement present in Las Vegas and despite a terrific effort by Houston's Luis Scola (the Rockets might have found a gem in that one), the U.S. is simply too deep, too talented and playing too much like a cohesive unit to be beaten. Really the only way the U.S. could fall is if the aliens from Space Jam orbed in and took their skills ... OK, that was lame."

If the other countries can touch this squad, I'll be impressed.

PitBull

Guru
Here's what Pitbull of Castefootball writes:

A very similar version of the "varsity" squad got its ass beat by the tiny
nation of Greece last year. Don't be too shocked to see "Team Africa" get
beat in 2008, despite the media hype.

Also, this is a pro-white site, not a black sack-hugging paradise. Straighten
your hat and pull up your pants. I don't want to hear it anymore.

Wolverine

Here's what Wolverine from Castefootball writes:

blah blah blah pro-black crap, blah blah, insult of white people, blah blah, blah Edited by: jaxvid

Wolverine

Oh yeah..Joe Johnson, Kirk Hinrich, Shane Battier, Elton Brand, Chris Paul,Antawn Jamison, and Brad Miller. Forget varsity, we're talking Springfield, Mass with that juggernaut of a team.

Are those guys even all-stars?

PitBull

Guru
Lebron James is black. The problem isn't that he was born in the inner city,
its that he's black. Read the posting guidelines. Your other commentary
means nothing to me because you mean nothing to me. You're the same
black troll who's been posting here under various names for a while. It sure
hurts to see the blacks lose in B-ball, don't it?

Good luck posting here under a new pseudonym after Don sacks you. Hasta
la vista baby!

Wolverine

My name is Wolverine, I am a black man that has come to your site to say bad things about white athletes. Instead of trying to open an honest dialouge or staying off the site because I'm not wanted I have decided to be a typical black prick and disguise my intentions until I cannot control myself and my savage instincts force me to leash out with a barrage of childish insults. Sorry but that's the way I am, at least I'm not out committing a crime like so many other brutha's.Edited by: jaxvid

G

The 04 US team had two NBA MVPs. Tim Duncan and Allen Iverson. Tim Duncan is the best basketball player in the world, and easily crushed Lebron James this year to win his fourth NBA title.

Yet him and other very good NBA players, who are paid millions of dollars a year, were not among the best players available?

Bart

Hall of Famer
Wolverine said:
Instead of trying to open an honest dialouge or staying off the site because I'm not wanted I have decided to be a typical black prick and disguise my intentions until I cannot control myself and my savage instincts force me to leash out with a barrage of childish insults. Sorry but that's the way I am,

We are well aware of typical black behavior. And yes, we know that's the way you are.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
geez what a prick

im sure there are plenty of pro black sites out there what would make him want to come here?

guest301

Hall of Famer
Wolverine said:
Oh yeah.. Joe Johnson, Kirk Hinrich, Shane Battier, Elton Brand, Chris Paul, Antawn Jamison, and Brad Miller.  Forget varsity, we're talking Springfield, Mass with that juggernaut of a team. 

Are those guys even all-stars?

Five of those players have been in several All-Star games and in Hinrich's case, he will very soon play in one and Battier is exactly the kind of intangible glue player that would more than fit in with any team. That's a pretty good team that got repeatedly beat by the Italians, Greeks, etc... You are doing a very poor job of making your case here. If the USA beats Argentina tonight..big deal. No Ginobli, Nocioni, Hermann and Oberto.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Wolverine said:
TorontoArgos said:
Tim Duncan isn't American. Team USA doesn't always take their biggest stars, they like to choose a few role players who don't need to shoot 20 times a game. Too many stars = a selfish, disfunctional team. Especially if they're black.

I'm not sure if you were trying to be funny or not, but Tim Duncan played for Team USA in 2004, no? He hails from the U.S. Virgin Islands. They didn't field an international team until 2004, so he's been playing for the US since he was 18. Hakeem Olajuwon played for Dream Team II despite his being non-American. International rules also allow you to play for the country of whom you retain citizenship. Track stars also emigrate to other countries all the time to compete.

As far as Dream Teams I and II, they were the biggest stars in the league. What Barcelona participant was a "role player" on his NBA team?

Dream Team I - 1992

Charles BarkleyLarry BirdClyde DrexlerPatrick EwingEarvin JohnsonMichael JordanKarl MaloneChris MullinScottie PippenJohn StocktonDavid Robinson

Who was the "role player" in Atlanta?

Dream Team II - 1996

Charles BarkleyAnfernee HardawayGrant HillHakeem OlajuwonKarl MaloneReggie MillerShaquille O'NealGary PaytonScottie PippenMitch RichmondDavid RobinsonJohn Stockton

They were all the best of the best. By the time Sydney rolled around in 2000, NBA superstars were 8 years into international play, and were bored with cleaning the other countries' clocks. They started using every excuse in the book to not go. Shaq didn't play, even though he was the league MVP. Karl Malone, Kobe Bryant, Grant Hill, Allen Iverson, Chris Webber, and David Robinson all also stayed home despite being second and third team All-NBA. We were forced to send second tier players yet still won.

Dream Team III - 2000

Shareef Abdur-RahimRay AllenVin BakerVince CarterKevin GarnettTim HardawayAllan HoustonJason KiddAntonio McDyessAlonzo MourningGary PaytonSteve Smith

The terrorist attacks allowed the stars to opt out of Greece in '04 without looking unpatriotic. We put together a bizarre mish mosh of spare parts including freshly drafted Emeka Okafor, Carlos Boozer, Richard Jefferson, Lamar Odom, and Stephon Marbury! Then we tossed in 3 untested rookies LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, and Dwyane Wade. I was shocked we even won the bronze with that motley crew.Shaq O'Neal, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Tracey McGrady, Vince Carter, Chris Webber, Jason Kidd, Jermaine O'Neal, and Gilbert Arenas all stayed home.

Beijing will be the first Olympic games since 1996 we sent a legitimate Dream Team-type squad.

ToughJ.Riggins says: First of all dream team 3 had lots of good players. Come on Ray Allen, Vince Carter and Kevin Garnett (an awesome inside threat suited for international play) and Jason Kidd as the court general. And as far as the 4th team Dwayne Wade showed he was quite good leading Miami to victory only two years later in 2006. And Lebron has always been mature beyond his years. And Carlos Boozer is a very underrated player.

The bottom line is a country with 300 million people should be able to beat smaller Euro countries. Euro countries are also higher on soccer anyway. And your comment about Shaq being badly missed is ridiculous. He would foul out of every international game because he uses his shoulder as a weapon to back down smaller skinnier finesse players.

Shaq is the most overrated player of all time. I am not saying he sucks, but that he gets away with so much. Shaq would foul out of NBA games after about 25 minutes if called correctly. I will say that Shaq learned to become a good passing big man and is good on defense, but gets away with multiple infractions every game. Look up Shaq in a thesaurus and you will find his synonym is offensive foul.

The argument that European teams play together longer has also become untrue b/c they have their own professional leagues also and all the best players from good international teams now play in the NBA. I will agree with one thing in your post Wolverine. I believe the Americans will win this Olympics b/c Lebron and Wade have matured into two "amazing" unselfish players and Garnett is great in international play b/c he is a finesse player. However, it will be very close and I will be rooting against the U.S because I am more loyal to Canada and the caste system in America makes me sick.

The U.S team may still lose b/c guys like Kobe have difficulty not always having the offense run through them. Teams need a couple role players to get playing time. I do think that the U.S can win this time b/c Lebron and Wade know how to adjust to playing with other stars IMO. However I would certainly not be surprised if Argentina or Spain won either.