Favorite Classic Rock Bands?

whiteCB

Master
Although I'm in my early 20s the majority of music I listen to is in fact the rock n roll made before I was born. Also I would like to note that pretty much all of my friends listen to your guys' music. Also most of my generation(not those Abercrombie & Fitch/wigger tools) know that today's music pales in comparison to the music of old. So with that said here's my top 5:

1. Led Zeppelin- I know sounds cliche but I listen to their stuff you never hear on the radio.
2. Jimi Hendrix- this guy is the best guitar player ever in my opinion. Electic Ladyland is a GREAT album
3. Pink Floyd- I like listening to their stuff not played on the radio all the time
4. AC/DC- Bon Scott years are the band's best work
5. Allman Brothers Band

On the bubble: ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Van Halen(not Van Hagar), The WHO, RUSHEdited by: whiteCB

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I couldn't begin to rank my favorites, but I can list them. I'm almost 30, but I have always listened to old music, although not all would be "classic rock" or even rock.

Elvis, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Who, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Steppenwolf, The Animals, The Rolling Stones, The Allman Brothers Band, Johnny Cash, The Eagles, The Yardbirds.

Solomon Kane

Mentor
1. The Rolling Stones
2. Rory Gallagher
3. The Allman Brothers Band
4. Led Zeppelin
5. Genesis
6. Yes
7. Jethro Tull
8. Creedence Clearwater Revival
9. Focus
10. Cream/Eric Clapton
11. The Grateful Dead

Bronk

Mentor
ZZ Top, particularly from the 1970s is top notch blues-based rock n roll. You should also try to get hold of some 13th Floor Elevators.

The Smithereens, The Clash, The Kinks, The Guess Who, The Rascals, Steve Miller Band, Paul Collins Beat, Bob Seger, The Plimsouls.

Angelcynn

Guru
WhiteCB, I'm only 20 yet the vast majority of my fave music is old stuff. It's what I was brought up listening to and I've just never really liked much of the new music. Editors are the only modern band at the moment that I listen to at the moment. They are very talented all round band and they sound amazing live which is a sign of a great band. If you want check out this recent amazing live performance which included a quartet which worked so well. At the bottom even.

[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/electricproms/2007/player/livesets/cons ole.shtml?c=editors[/URL

Anyways heres some of my alltime favourites, The Kinks, The Buzzcocks, The Jam, Madness, The Police (older stuff), Jimi Hendrix (been to his grave in Renton,Seattle), Steve Miller Band (my American friend got me into them), Iron Maiden, Depeche Mode.

Cream
The Who
The Stones
The Police
Jimi
The Boss

Iron

Guru
Guns n Roses
Megadeth
Dire straits
Motorhead
Aerosmith
Billy Joel
Elvis
Beatles

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Moody Blues, Deep Purple, Neil Young, The Doors, Chicago, Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Foreigner, Van Morrison, Yes, Dire Straits, The Clash, Guns n Roses, Rush, AC/DC, Billy Joel, Lynard Skynard, Parliament Funkadelic (although considered Funk) James Brown (although he is more Soul) Stevie Wonder (although he could also be considered Jazz) Lots more that I can't think of!
Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Hockaday

Guru
Classic Rock to me is post British invasion pre New Wave and Punk.

Led Zeppelin
The Doors
Moody Blues
Rolling Stones
Springsteen
Bob Dylan
Cat Stevens
Grand Funk Railroad
Janis Joplin
The Monkees
Neil Young
et al

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Nice choices all. Anyone listen to Robin Trower? He was a kind of Hendrix type guitarist that made some pretty good music back in the day.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
jaxvid, I've heard some of his stuff, being a guitar player myself, but I don't own any of it. There are tons of individuals and groups I could list that I listen to, including many that have been listed by others. Try some Mississippi John Hurt for a change.
smiley4.gif

whiteCB

Master
jaxvid said:
Nice choices all. Anyone listen to Robin Trower? He was a kind of Hendrix type guitarist that made some pretty good music back in the day.

Oh yeah Bridge of Sighs is awesome!!! Also anyone like Emerson Lake and Palmer? Great mood music for driving down the road on a trip or something.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
ELP's From The Beginning is one of my favorite songs. It is almost mesmerizing to me.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Yess! You can't go wrong with Robin Trower's Bridge of Sighs.

Lance Alworth

Mentor
hard rock/metal bands:
Michael Schenker Group
Motley Crue
Vinnie Vincent
Yngwie Malmsteen
Stryper
Deep Purple
Helloween
Savatage

non-hard rock/metal:
Depeche Mode
Marillion
Bauhaus
Siouxsie and the Banshees
The Smiths/Morrissey
Nitzer Ebb
Gary Numan
The Cure
Sonic Youth
REM (pre Green)

Menelik

Mentor
Rainbow, Deep Purple, Frampton, Molly Hatchett, The Who, Cream, anything by Skynrd, BOC, and of course Zep.

Hockaday

Guru
whiteCB said:
jaxvid said:

Oh yeah Bridge of Sighs is awesome!!! Also anyone like Emerson Lake and Palmer? Great mood music for

Good old ELP. Saw them in Frankfurt with a couple army buddies in the 70's. We didn't have any smoke, so my buddy yelled out any body got some dope? A voice said Yeah, over here! Some GI had a blanket spread out with a nice selection of chunks to choose from. We bought a twenty cent piece of bubble gum black packed the ol' peace pipe. ELP never sounded so good as they did that night.

Edited by: Hockaday

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
More of a English new wave/post-punk guy myself:

Echo & the Bunnymen (and Ian McCulloch's solo albums)
Depeche Mode
Gary Numan & Tubeway Army
The Sundays
Cure (just the early albums)
Ivy
Stone Roses
Ian Brown
The Verve
Siouxsie
Style Council
Suede
Cast

whiteCB

Master
Hockaday said:
whiteCB said:
jaxvid said:

Oh yeah Bridge of Sighs is awesome!!! Also anyone like Emerson Lake and Palmer? Great mood music for

Good old ELP. Saw them in Frankfurt with a couple army buddies in the 70's. We didn't have any smoke, so my buddy yelled out any body got some dope? A voice said Yeah, over here! Some GI had a blanket spread out with a nice selection of chunks to choose from. We bought a twenty cent piece of bubble gum black packed the ol' peace pipe. ELP never sounded so good as they did that night.

My how the times have changed. My older buddy I worked with was telling me how at concerts in the 70s there was so much weed smoking going on that there would be a cloud of smoke in the air at all times. Nowadays if you yell out "anybody got some dope?" some a-hole(unless its a hippie festival, which I hate) will snitch on you. Yeah it sucks today you Army guys would have to take a piss test and that puts a damper on smokin the reefer.
smiley19.gif
I bet ELP put on one hell of a show. I always bring a blunt or couple joints with me when going to concerts. Its a must. Kind of like drinking during a football game.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I enjoy various musical genres (from Southern Gospel, Bluegrass, Traditional Country, Classic Rock, Southern Rock and old school Metal). Classic Rock I'd have to say my favorites are Ted Nugent, KISS, Blackfoot, Skynard, Joe Walsh (from the James Gang & solo), Stevie Ray Vaughan and old ZZ Top. In the Metal arena, my favs are Pantera, Iron Maiden, Dio, Judas Priest and AC/DC. However...being a family man these days, I usually listen to my kid's CDs (when they're in the truck), talk radio if I'm solo or Classic Rock radio if it's just my wife and I. I'll occasionally bust out some old metal or classic or southern rock...usually en-route to the gym.
smiley2.gif
smiley1.gif

Hockaday

Guru
Actually, White CB, they piss tested then, but at that time couldn't detect cannabis, only the "hard" drugs.

Gotta mention Uriah Heep and Deep Purple. Saw them in Nuremberg with my girlfriend and some buddies, and they were fantastic. Brought some fortified cigarettes with us. Not that I need to smoke anything to enjoy music, but like you say, it's like beer at a ball game. Only you don't spend your time going back and forth to the bathroom.

Skipperron

Guru
The Beatles, the Kinks, Paul Revere & the Raiders (the true beginning of garage band/grunge rock), Richard Thompson, Roy Orbison, Old Fleetwood Mac, The Cars, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Zombies, The Searchers, The Amboy Dukes and of course later on Ted Nugent, The Small Faces, The Stones and more many many more.

whiteCB

Master
Alright I need some help here. I was listening to the radio the other day when some sweet Pink Floyd tune came on. The DJ didn't give the name of the song. I'm pretty certain its 80s Floyd because I have all their albums from the 70s and its not on any of them. The lyrics went like this "There's No Way Out..." and it was a good song. I would like to download it but have no idea what the song is called.