Farewell to the Voice of the Dawgs!

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Hats off & a fond farewell to legendary voice of the UGA Dawgs Larry Munson!

UGA's legendary Munson announces retirement

Voice of the Bulldogs, who turns 86 next week, called games for 42 years

By CHIP TOWERS

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Monday, September 22, 2008

Athens â€â€￾ In the final analysis, Larry Munson just didn't think he could hunker down one more time.

Georgia's legendary play-by-play radio announcer, who will turn 86 this weekend, decided to hang up his microphone on Monday after 43 seasons of calling the Bulldogs' football games.

Are you less inclined to listen to Georgia football games on radio without Larry Munson in booth?

"I can't express enough my deep feelings toward the Georgia football fans," Munson said in the statement. "They have been so friendly especially during this most recent period of time. I feel I owe them so much more than I can give. I'll remember all the great times with the Dogs and have the fondest wishes and good luck toward them all."

Munson's longtime partner Scott Howard, who has been calling the road games in Munson's absence, will take over at the main mic for the rest of the season. Former Georgia quarterback Eric Zeier assumes Howard's color commentary duties.

Athletics director Damon Evans could not say whether Howard and/or Zeier will take over permanently.

"We'll evaluate that after the season," Evans said. "I want this to be about Larry's retirement. For now, Eric and Scott are our crew. Nothing's set in stone, but I will say those two have done a very good job."

Howard officially took over for Munson as moderator of the Mark Richt Call-in Show Monday night on the Bulldog Radio Network. Just before going on air, Howard was asked what it feels like following a legend.

"I've heard that a lot and I don't look at it that way," Howard said. "I'm not trying to replace him; I'm just succeeding him for now. I'm the next guy over. I'm not Larry. He's a Hall of Fame broadcaster. I've just got to be myself."

Attempts to contact Munson Monday were unsuccessful. A woman who answered the door at his West Athens home said she worked for an agency and that, "Larry is not taking visitors." She directed all questions to his son, Michael.

"[Munson] made the decision over the weekend after consultation with his family, doctor and close friends," said Michael Munson,

Larry's oldest son, who lives in Nashville, Tenn., said "The Munson family would like to thank Cox Radio, the University of Georgia and the Georgia people who have been so supportive of Larry throughout his long career and especially the last several months following his surgery in April."

Munson suffers from acute arthritis and back problems. He had a fall last spring that resulted in a subdural hematoma. He had successful brain surgery last April and recovered at a rehabilitation facility over the summer.

Evans wanted to make it clear that the decision to retire was Munson's and Munson's only.

"I've followed this situation closely and I always just wanted to be respectful of Larry's wishes," Evans said. "Everybody should know it was his decision. I'm thankful he could go out the way he wanted to."

The news of Munson's retirement reverberated through Georgia's athletics complex Monday night where the Bulldogs were holding a late practice in preparation for Saturday's game against Alabama.

"What do you say when a legend steps down?" Georgia coach Mark Richt said. "I'm grateful for the opportunity I've had to be associated with him. It's been an honor to work with one of the legendary college football broadcasters of all time. I hope he enjoys his full retirement and wish him the very best in all the things he decides to do."

"I had not heard that," said senior fullback Brannan Southerland, who said he grew up in Atlanta listening to Munson. "I wish he'd be calling our games but he's had an incredible career. He's somebody that'll never be replaced here at Georgia. He's something special."

Michael Munson said his father, who spent 60 years in broadcasting, hopes to do some other things with his time. Larry Munson is an avid fisherman, a movie buff of the first order and enjoys listening to jazz music. As a young man he played piano in a backup band for Frank Sinatra.

Munson is beloved by the Bulldog nation for his unabashed partisanship and for his dramatic on-air delivery. His calls on the biggest plays in Georgia football history are as famous as the plays himself.

"He's the greatest college football announcer I ever heard," said Michael Cross, a New York native who has undergraduate and masters degrees from UGA graduate and teaches in Walton County. "His unique styling and phrasing, no one does it like him. Half the time he doesn't even tell you it's a touchdown. You just know it."

For example:

- After Georgia scored the winning touchdown in the final seconds against Tennessee in 2001, he said: "We just crushed their face with a hobnail boot. We broke their nose."

- When Herschel Walker scored his first touchdown as a freshman against Tennessee in 1980. "He's running over people. He just ran right through two men ... My God, a freshman."

- When Georgia clinched a Sugar Bowl berth with a win over Auburn in 1982, he cried, "Oh look at the Sugar falling out of the sky! Look at the Sugar falling out of the sky!

- When Buck Belue connected with Lindsay Scott on a 93-yard game-winning pass against Florida in 1980, he pleaded with Scott to get to the end zone: "Lindsay Scott, Lindsay Scott, run Lindsay, run Lindsay." After Scott crossed the goal line he confessed, "I just broke right through a metal steel chair."

Munson was born born Sept. 28, 1921, in Minneapolis. He is an alumnus of Moorehead (Minn.) State Teachers College. After serving in World War II, he used his military discharge pay to enroll in broadcaster's school.

After working in radio in Wyoming, Oklahoma, and Tennessee, Munson came to Atlanta to call Braves games. It was from there he was hired in 1966 by former Georgia AD Joel Eaves to call Georgia football games.

"We fully support Larry's wishes and can't thank him enough for the thrilling play-by-play he's given the Bulldog Nation and WSB through the years," said Cox Radio Inc. Chief Operating Officer Marc Morgan.

Reference article...Edited by: DixieDestroyer

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
He is an original, no doubt. I rue the day when all we have are these dime a dozen sterile announcers that are as flat as the area around Bonneville, Utah. I really enjoyed hearing Munson the few times I had a chance to. I also like Jim Hawthorne at LSU. These guys out here at BYU are boring to listen to, but somehow they are "legends." My my, how certain terms now have almost no meaning.