ESPN article on the dearth of white backs

white is right

Hall of Famer
Amazing a black reporter writes this piece. Here is the story....Whatever happened to the white tailback?
Hill

By Jemele Hill
Page 2

When Michigan played Notre Dame, a freshman pounded the Irish for 131 yards rushing, slashing and slithering around defenders like an eel.

It was some coming-out party. But other than his ability, one thing really stuck out about this Wolverines tailback.

Michigan's Sam McGuffie is starting as a freshman and had 178 rushing and receiving yards against Notre Dame.

He's white.

Michigan hasn't had a white player start at tailback since Rob Lytle in 1976, which also was the last time a white tailback led the Maize and Blue in rushing.

If Sam McGuffie's breakout game against the Irish is any indication, maybe he'll be the one to break new ground for white tailbacks, who have become as rare a sight as Halley's comet.

"I really don't have too much to say about that," said McGuffie, who ran for 1,711 yards and 23 touchdowns as a senior at Cy-Fair High School in Cypress, Texas, and gained YouTube fame for hurdling a defender. "If you can play the position, you can play the position."

Many of us watch sports not caring if the men on the field are purple or magenta, as long as they produce. But watch sports long enough and you inevitably notice trends and rarities. One of them is that white tailbacks at the college and professional level have become virtually nonexistent.

In 2007, just 13 of the top 100 rushers in the Football Bowl Subdivision were white. The SEC and Pac-10 each have just one white starting tailback in their respective leagues, Vanderbilt's Jared Hawkins and Stanford's Toby Gerhart. And McGuffie is the Big Ten's lone starting white tailback.

In the NFL, white tailbacks are even scarcer. Not one white player starts at tailback on any of the NFL's 32 teams. The last time a white tailback was taken in the first round of the NFL draft was 1974, when the Los Angeles Rams selected Penn State's John Cappelletti with the 11th overall pick.

With such a deeply entrenched trend, you wonder if ESPN college football analyst Craig James might be the last white player to rush for more than 1,000 yards in the NFL or if former Washington Redskins legend John Riggins will be the last white feature back to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

"Fans write me all the time calling me 'The Great White Hope,'" said James, who ran for 1,227 yards with the New England Patriots during the 1985 season. "One of these days, someone will come along."

Short history of white running backs

Nick Goings
The last white running back to lead his NFL team in rushing, with 821 yards for the Panthers in 2004.

Mike Alstott
A fullback, Alstott led the Bucs twice in rushing (1999 and 2001) and finished with over 5,000 yards in his career.

Chance Kretschmer
Playing for Nevada, led Division I as a freshman in 2001 with 1,732 rushing yards, but suffered a knee injury as a sophomore and eventually went undrafted.

Tommy Vardell
The last white running back drafted in the first round, the fullback was taken ninth overall by Cleveland in 1992. Finished with 1,427 yards and 18 TDs.

Brad Muster
Like Vardell a Stanford product, Muster was drafted 23rd overall by the Bears in 1988. A fullback-type who complemented Neal Anderson, he ran for 2,231 career yards.

Craig James
The last white running back in the NFL to top 1,000 yards, gaining 1,227 for the 1985 Patriots. Suffered shoulder and knee injuries and played just 21 more games.

John Riggins
A bruising 230-pounder, Riggins topped 1,000 yards five times (the last in 1984) and had over 11,000 in his career. Elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1992.

Rob Lytle
The last white running back to lead Michigan in rushing, ran for 1,469 yards in 1976 and finished third in the Heisman voting. Drafted in the second round by Denver and had 1,451 career yards in the NFL.

John Cappelletti
The last white tailback selected in the first round, the 1973 Heisman winner from Penn State was selected 11th by the Rams in 1974. Played nine seasons in the NFL, rushing for 2,951 yards.

It's difficult to tell whether the lack of white tailbacks is a result of nature or nurture. Are white athletes pursuing or being pushed into other positions because they're intimidated by the racial dynamics? Or is there something to the controversial theory that this is the merely the unraveling of genetic trends?

The answer is maybe ... and maybe.

There's no doubt racial discrimination and exclusionist Jim Crow policies helped usher in "position profiling" in both the NFL and college football. For a long period of time, blacks were stereotyped as being intellectually incapable of playing certain positions, namely quarterback.

One position where African-Americans were welcomed was running back. After the NFL lifted its freeze on black players in 1946, one of the first players to reintegrate was Kenny Washington, a standout running back from UCLA. In his three NFL seasons, Washington averaged 6.1 yards per carry and was a top-five rusher in his second season.

Even then the NFL was a copycat league. After Washington and Marion Motley, the Hall of Famer who joined Cleveland in the All-America Football Conference in 1946 and averaged 5.7 yards per carry in his career, a wave of black runners entered the league in the 1950s and '60s

Suddenly the black running back was en vogue. The dynamics of the position had changed dramatically, with speed in the backfield becoming a major emphasis. And as time passed, white feature backs became a rare sight.

Certainly some white tailbacks have had successful NFL careers after the explosion of black players, but not many. Mike Alstott, one of the few fullbacks given feature back responsibilities, retired as the Tampa Bay Bucs' all-time leader in touchdowns (71) and the No. 2 rusher in team history (5,088). In 1999, the six-time Pro Bowler was 51 yards away from the 1,000-yard mark, finishing with a career-best 949 rushing yards. Twice, Alstott led Tampa Bay in rushing.

But Alstott has proved to be little more than an aberration among feature backs. The last team to win the Super Bowl with a white back leading the team in rushing yards was the 1983 Redskins with Riggins. A white back hasn't led the NFL in rushing since Green Bay's Jim Taylor in 1962. The last white player to lead his NFL team in rushing was Nick Goings, with the Carolina Panthers in 2004.

"I don't ever want to put a spin on it and say it's profiling," said Floyd Keith, the executive director of the Black Coaches Association. "I think it has a lot to do with the quality of player."

But there is evidence -- some of it anecdotal -- to suggest there is a degree of profiling when it comes to white runners.

"It used to be for the athletes playing in high school, if you were African-American and playing quarterback, the assumption was they were going to put you at wide receiver," James said. "That trend has been reversed and there's not a perception [African-Americans] can't play quarterback, but there is a perception that if you're a white guy and a running back, you need to move your position."

Gerhart, a junior at Stanford, said opponents used to express surprise when they realized he was the feature back.

"There were definitely times after games, the DBs, safeties or linebackers would say, 'God man, you can move for a white guy,'" said Gerhart, who ranks 15th in the nation in rushing yards among FBS players. "Even at the college level, my freshman year I played some and after they tackled me, they'd say, 'Man, you run good for a white guy' or 'You're my favorite white running back.'"

Recently, according to Gerhart, one of his friends was playing an NCAA video game and created a player with Gerhart's speed and dimensions (6-foot-2, 230 pounds, 4.43 in the 40-yard dash). When his friend made the player white, the game automatically described the video version of Gerhart as "power back." When his friend changed the skin color to black, he became an "all-purpose back."

"Maybe it's just basic stereotypes," Gerhart said. "Even now you're described as a 'power back.' They still discredit speed."

But Jon Entine, an author and researcher who has written about the role of genetics in sports dominance in several international and national publications, doesn't buy that white tailbacks are underrepresented because of discrimination.

"That's a superficially appealing argument," Entine said. "The opposite was said 25 years ago, or 30 years ago, when all the defensive backs used to be white in the early '60s. It wasn't a level playing field because blacks were not participating in any high numbers and sometimes it was said that blacks don't have the mental necessities and strategy that it takes to play defensive back. They were discouraged from going into that because they had other opportunities, like being a running back. Suddenly what was used to explain why there were a dearth of blacks is now being used to explain why [there is] a dearth of whites.

"At 8 years old or 10 years old, you don't look around and say, 'There are no white cornerbacks in the NFL so I'm not going to go out and try to be a cornerback.' I just don't think you squelch kids' fantasies."

Instead, Entine offers a far more controversial explanation for the lack of white running backs. He believes the reason is genetics.

Entine authored the book "Taboo: Why Black Athletes Dominate Sports And Why We're Afraid To Talk About It." In the book, Entine makes the link between genetics, geography and sports dominance.

He suggests athletes with West African ancestors -- which would encompass a large percentage of African-Americans -- dominate sports requiring speed and jumping because of the body types and other physical characteristics that are typical of people from that region.

"Once the population designations were set," Entine said, "there are real differences in the gene frequencies in the east and west African population, which is quite different from populations around the world."

Entine points out athletes with East or North African ancestry and also those from Mexico and South America are likely to dominate endurance activities because they have evolved in highland terrains whose populations tend to have a larger lung capacity and lean physiques.

"It's geography and ancestry," Entine said. "It's not race."

Even though other geneticists have backed Entine's research, his findings are viewed by some as treading the same dangerous ground as Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder, who became a pariah for theorizing that blacks were better athletes because of how slaves were bred.

While what Snyder said was crass and inexcusable, it did touch on some commonly held beliefs. In 2006, the University of Michigan released a study that found 74 percent of white men and 65 percent of white women believed blacks were biologically and genetically superior to whites when it came to athletics.

"The message for geneticists is that we need to be very careful when we discuss genetic differences involving human characteristics and traits," researcher Dr. Elizabeth Petty said when the study was released. "It's important to keep in mind how genetics can easily be misinterpreted by the media and the public in a way that may perpetuate racial stereotypes."

Entine refutes his research is in any way racist. He believes it is far more racist for the media to suggest the reason African-Americans succeed in sports is because they're escaping poverty -- he points to Kobe Bryant and Grant Hill as examples who contradict that assumption -- and says his research is not meant to imply that genetics is the only reason one race dominates a particular sport or position.

"I don't think it's anything to bemoan because that doesn't discredit the efforts of the African-Americans who have become great tailbacks, or great sprinters," he said. "They're all individuals. They're competing with a vast number of others and they're succeeding because of their hard work, their intelligence, all of the things that make great athletes. All their genetic endowment does is give them an opportunity to compete at a high level. As long as we don't lose sight of the individual and try to understand the pattern then I think we're OK about this stuff. The danger is when we try to suggest that somehow great tailbacks run out of the womb, just because of their West African ancestry they're destined for greatness."

Jemele Hill is a Page 2 columnist. She can be reached at jemeleespn@gmail.com

backrow

Hall of Famer
it's funny that a black writer considers mized Nick Goings white...

Poacher

Mentor
There are 5 times as many whites in this country as blacks. Even if they had some sort of genetic advantage it would be tempered by our population advantage.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Wonder what Jon Entine thinks about genetics as it relates to IQ?

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
I wonder if Jon Entine could ever throw a spiral? Or hit a fastball? Bench press his body weight? My guessto the answer to all those questions is no. I'll agree blacks have advantages over whites as whites do likewise over blacks. Tough J. has done a good job describing the differences between black and white runningbacks countless itmes. You cannot tell me blacks have that much of an advantage!

Props to the black writer, she obviously realizes she can get away with much more than her white colleagues.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
There are too many fat black guys at the RB position in the NFL to attribute top end speed having any relevance to the position, so Entine's 'insights' are already invalid.

Any genetic advantage blacks would hold over whites in athletics would be diminished by their smaller percentage of the population, as Poacher pointed out.

Blacks (and whites) who hold to the genetic advantage theory of athletic superiority find themselves in a conundrum, because most of them deny there is any white advantage in IQ or behavior that is related to genetics. Essentially, their argument is one of black racial superiority because if everyone is equal in all areas except athletics, in which blacks have an alleged advantage, that would make blacks 'superior.'

Observation of the world around us shows that this is not the case.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
At least she gives the discrimination argument some space. That's more than a white writer would do. And the fact that it's on ESPN (at least I think it is as no link is given, hint hint) may indicate that more and more people are noticing the obvious. The longer whites are shut out the more the Caste System will become manifest. And Caste Football and YouTube are speeding along the process.

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if Entine fed her all the information on white college and NFL running backs. He might even have writtenparts of the articlehimself for her as once again he's utilized as The Authority on such matters.

A point that the article missed is that many of the white thousand yard runners of the past played fullback, not tailback. They could even used this as an excuse since the fullback is now strictly a blocker, rather than a team's major runner which Jim Taylor was. Also, Entine neglected to mention that some of today's runners are not exactly super-exceptional athletes in the speed and agility departments.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Typical Entine BS.
smiley7.gif
I'm glad the writer did the piece though.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I agree with White Shogun and others. It is interesting that "journalists" will paint blacks as all around better athletes, but elude mentioning the white advantage in IQ tests and achievement in math and science. I definitely believe cultural factors play a part in both racial achievement in athletics and academics, but still there are differences.

I believe that whites have a noticeable advantage in math and science over blacks; cultural factors aside. As far as the arts and for the most part even social science, I don't see much of a gap. However, the media will never talk about academic differences possibly being racially related.

But getting back to RBs, It is a fact that there are plenty of whites that are faster and more elusive than Ron Dayne and Lendale White who were both 1st round draft picks I believe. There are plenty of whites that could outperform Lendale White.

I won't go over my analysis of difference in white runners and black runner's style again, but there are plenty of whites with great elusiveness and there are also plenty of white RBs out there that can run that 4.6 40 that is fast enough to get an NFL starting RB job if you are black. Heck Mike Anderson ran a 4.69 and started for Denver. Terrell Davis and Emmitt Smith, two considered "legends", were 4.6 guys too if I recall.

Hey, at least this article was printed on ESPN. Did she have to ask farce Jackass scout Tom Luginbill's take on this?

Maple Leaf

Mentor
I don't give the writer any credit whatsoever. She is only writing what she can get away with and is still being selective. If the writer can use that queer Entine's genetic arguement about running backs than why not use that arguement for quarterbacks?

This is what has become of the culture of football in America. It has become the culture to ass-sume roles for players based on cultural beliefs and cultural habits. It is a herd mentality that has no rational explanation. Boxing used to be included as one of the sports where blacks had a natural advantage. It is hilarious how that sport had to be taken off the list. So now it is just running and jumping. Oh, but wait, jumping is soon to come off the list too. Edited by: Maple Leaf

White Shogun said:
Wonder what Jon Entine thinks about genetics as it relates to IQ?

Several times I have seen articles that stated that blacks are more athletic than whites. In the next paragraph, the writer will declare that there are no racial differences in intelligence. I distinctly remember this in a Sports Illustrated piece by the late David Halberstam in the 1980's.

jared

Mentor
Well, once again, another writer fails to expand in any meaningful way from the Orlando Sentinel articles 4 years ago. Entine is still quoted as though he's some sort of man of science (which he's not) and expert in ANY field other than media BS.

Entine also authored a book called Abraham's Children, all about DNA and the identity of Jews. He talks about the superior IQ of Ashkenazis relative to Gentiles. Do you think he talks about the lagging IQ of blacks? Me neither.

C Darwin

Mentor
Endangered Species

A racial dividing line exists at the running back position,
and there doesn't seem to be a clear reason why.

By Chris Harry and Charles Robinson
Sentinel Staff Writers

http://www.jonentine.com/reviews/Orlando_01.htm

Chicago Bears running back Brock Forsey knew they would come. He and his agent had discussed it on numerous occasions -- Forsey being white and all.

By the time he gouged the Arizona Cardinals for 134 yards in a game last season, Forsey had an idea of what awaited. People would want to ask him about being a white running back -- about what it was like to be the NFL's version of the bearded lady.

Fifty-eight years after the NFL's reintegration, Forsey had become the once-in-an-eon celestial event, a quizzical and momentary rarity in a league spinning on an axis of speed and agility. An anomaly in a sport that in 2004 features no white running backs on active NFL rosters, two white starters among the 117 Division I-A college programs and precious few legitimate I-A prospects in the nation's high schools.

This year, last year, 10 years ago -- little has changed.

That is what had reporters accentuating the pigment of the situation as Forsey sat at his locker last season.

"There were a lot of questions about, 'Is it surprising you came out and had a great game and you're white?'" Forsey remembers now. "I didn't think they'd actually come and throw it out there like that."

Reporters wondered at the irony (and oddity) of Kordell Stewart, a black quarterback, handing off to a white running back. On the other side of Soldier Field, Arizona running back Emmitt Smith, the NFL's career rushing leader, answered a question about Forsey by invoking the name of a Bears icon. A white one.

"You mean Brian Piccolo?" Smith deadpanned.

Through it all, Forsey's agent, Derrick Fox, was fielding offers on his cell phone. It seemed everyone wanted an interview: ESPN, The Sporting News, Chicago talk radio. Fox had seen it coming. "We had talked about it," he says.

Fox's client had given the people something to talk about, if only for a moment. The next week, Forsey carried three times for minus-4 yards in a loss at Green Bay. He didn't get the ball the rest of the season. Order was restored.

G

And the Packer's running savior had an awful day, a fumble and otherwise running blind exercise in getting hit. Yet an otherwise smart head coach won't utilize the other eligible carrier the fullback, Kuhn. One day a headcoach will look at some old tape and see Jim Taylor slash for 1400 yards on mud in 12 games, and realize in a game that celebrates the gaining of 100 yards he has a weapon with a running FB. I blame the coaches not the splittail media.

white is right said:
By Jemele Hill Page 2

"At 8 years old or 10 years old, you don't look around and say, 'There are no white cornerbacks in the NFL so I'm not going to go out and try to be a cornerback.' I just don't think you squelch kids' fantasies."

It has nothing to do with what they "see". Its more about what they hear on t.v and the radio.. If a kid sits down and listens to some gutless worm on SportsCenter refer Eric Weddle as "tight-hipped", then believe me, this message will subconsciously submerse itself in that kids psyche and affect his feelings about his OWN athletic abilities. T.V. and radio are two of the worst outlets for manipulaing and brainwashing our youth, but, I don't have to tell anyone on this site that. We all know it.Edited by: Ground Fighter

White Shogun said:
There are too many fat black guys at the RB position in the NFL to attribute top end speed having any relevance to the position, so Entine's 'insights' are already invalid.

Point made. Anyone who thinks that Jerome Bettis and Ron "Bubblebutt" Dayne are "graceful thoroughbreds" needs their head examined. These two overweight clowns are the ones who REALLY "rumble, bumble and stumble" down the field. But you'll never hear Rich Eisen say that, right Rich?

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Interesting that Jemele Hill mentions that blacks have an advantage in jumping. Funny, b/c if I recall, whites have been dominating the high jump for the last 3 Olympics and have the WR in the triple jump. Only in the long jump can blacks claim an advantage. Funny how this "journalist" failed to use this evidence to counter Entine's BS.

bigunreal

Mentor
As Don noted, no white journalist could get away with writing something like this. The sadder fact is that there isn't a white sports journalist in the country who would write about the subject, even if he could.

As for the mention of Jim Taylor being the last white to lead the league in rushing; I'm pretty sure that the Cardinals' Jim Otis won at least one rushing title in the 1970s. Not much to brag about, I know....

As for the mention of Jim Taylor being the last white to lead the league in rushing; I'm pretty sure that the Cardinals' Jim Otis won at least one rushing title in the 1970s. Not much to brag about, I know....[/QUOTE]

Jim Otis led the NFC with 1076 yards in 1975. That year, O.J. Simpson led the AFC and the entire NFL with 1817. Mark van Eeghen led the AFC with 1273 in 1977, while Walter Payton led the NFC and NFL with 1852, Payton's best year.

Mark van Eeghen was the last white RB to lead a conference in rushing. An oddity is that Al Davis' offense of the 1960's and 70's called for the FB to get most of the carries, This is why Marv Hubbard had some good seasons at FB before van Eeghen. One year, O.J. played in a Pro Bowl with the Raider coaching staff in charge of the AFC squad. Simpson complained that it was "a fullback offense."

Melancholia

Is there a link to the original article by chance?

Melancholia

PhillyBirds said:
I posted it a little farther up.

Oh, thanks. I should have read the response more thoroughly, rather than just quickly skimming (over?) them.
smiley24.gif
Edited by: Melancholia

white is right

Hall of Famer
bigunreal said:
As Don noted, no white journalist could get away with writing something like this. The sadder fact is that there isn't a white sports journalist in the country who would write about the subject, even if he could.

As for the mention of Jim Taylor being the last white to lead the league in rushing; I'm pretty sure that the Cardinals' Jim Otis won at least one rushing title in the 1970s. Not much to brag about, I know....
No established journalist would because he has his cushy 6 figure salary to protect. A blogger or a guy who was writing for a gonzo type site might write a piece like this.