Endzone Celebrations

MarkQuinn

Hi everyone. This is my first post.

I had the pleasure, as you can imagine, of growing up in Pittsburgh (whereI still reside) during the 1970s. By the time the 80s rolled around I was saying "What? You mean the Super Bowl parties aren't a yearly thing?" It was also then when I developed my love for the wide-receiver position, watching class acts like Swann and Stallworth. When those guys scored a touchdown, they casually dropped the ball, high-fived their teammates and jogged back to the sidelines, preparing for their next drive. Was it Lombardi who said when you reach the endzone, act like you've been there before?

I searched for some posts about the ridiculous antics of modern NFL players but couldn't find anything so I thought the topic was as good as any. Now you don't even need to score a touchdown to perform your stupid tribal dance and your classless,unsportsmanlike, in-your-face histrionics. You can be down by 17 points mid-way through the fourth and do it after a sack or a tipped pass. It's absurd. Granted, I see a lot of white players doing it nowadays, but it's never as severe, never as commonplace as the black performances we all know and hate. Moreover, I think you only ever see white players doing it (with much less severity) because obscene celebration is almost obligatory now. Don't act like an ass? You must not have team spirit.

I don't think it's much of a secret that blacks as a race are more animated. When white people laugh at a joke, they simply laugh. When black people laugh at a joke, they jump up, fall down, stumble across the room and crash into dishes. It's an act. That's fine, it gives them character. But for God's sake, why doesn't the NFL realize that certain rules of conduct and sportsmanship must be upheld? I guess at one point they tried, earning the nickname NoFunLeague, but then it all fell apart and got worse as players learned they could get a lot of attention by jumping into the stands and making total assess of themselves. I mean what is this, professional wrestling? Last time I checked NFL football was a legitimate sport. If you want to dance, go to the cluband dance and try not to shoot yourself in the leg, you ass.

Anyway, I just had to rant, and thank you for reading this far. I know nothing's going to be done about it, ever, because to enforce some kind of "no-dance" policy you'd essentially be commiting an act of racism, denying the poor black players their cultural right to "express themsleves". Whatever.

Give me hockey, the last white dominated major sport in North America where players score a goal, embrace for half a second in a group hug then --- oh, how shocking! --- skate to the bench and prepare for their next shift because they have a FREAKIN' GAME TO WIN! Maybe black wide receivers wouldn't drop so many passes if they conserved their energy a bit more. A little less dancing, a little less trash talking, a little more business.

Oh, and this year the Pens take their revenge on the Wings. ;)

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Blacks over-celebrate all the time. I find it absolutely amazing when a black DE or linebacker gets a sack late in the game while his team is down by 3 touchdowns. He then starts dancing around as if he just made a game winning interception. Doesn't he know his team is down by 3 touchdowns with no chance of winning? It's always style over winning.Edited by: whiteathlete33

I've noticed a lot of chest-pumping and arm-waving recently--you can't help but think of certain other animal species known for this kind of behavior.

The first football team, college or pro, I ever noticed doing end zone celebrations was the 1966 Notre Dame team. I have watched football on TV since around 1958.

When a member of the Fighting Irish (in 1966 ND had only 1 black player, Alan Page) scored a TD, 4 or 5 teammates would hug and embrace him. I noticed at the time that I had not seen this before. Before then, college players would be a little more demonstrative than the pros, but not the exagerrated hugging I saw the ND players do. In the next few years, all college players started acting like Notre Dame. I have always thought that the 1966 Notre Dame team (they were National Champions) started this in college football.

Before the late 60's, pro football players did not put on big emotional displays unless they had won a championship or a very big game. When a TD was scored, one or two teammates would shake the hand of the player who scored. Sometimes the TD scorer would flip the ball to the referee and trot by himself to the bench. You can see this in the films.

This changed in the late 1960's, along with everything else. First, it was spiking the ball. Then came end zone dancing. After that, it was dancing and mugging after a play in the field.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
What aboutthrowingthe ball up in the air with both hands after scoring a TD, sport historian? I have seen this in some SEC clips from the late 60s.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Dear god, even tackles for a loss (or no gain) are celebrated as though a superbowl had just been won. The infinately-injured Boob Sanders, for instance, will constantly flex his muscles after routine tackles. The idiot, intoxicated white sheeple see this as "showmanship" and "confindence." I see it as boring, childish, and lame. Then again, those 3 words describe the NFL perfectly.

Why, as a defensive player, would you celebrate something YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO?

PhillyBirds

Mentor
Thrashen said:
Why, as a defensive player, would you celebrate something YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO?

I tend not to flex my muscles and dance like an idiot after I scan someone's groceries. It's my job, just like it's theirs.

Good first post by the way, MarkQuinn. Welcome to the boards.Edited by: PhillyBirds

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yes, Mark Quinn, welcome to CF!

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Welcome to the board MarkQuinn, I hear you about the overcelebrations it's ridiculous but typical of the demonstritve childish personalities of the players. Plus the fans like their black players to act like primative savages. Below is a column written by JB Cash on that very subjet. BTW Penguins over Red Wings--no way!!!!

IT'S NOT SOUL TRAIN

(12/22/03) Caste Football has made a point of showing that bad behavior is rampant in the NFL. This bad behavior is representative of the black urban culture that has spawned so many of these violators. In opposition to that culture the values white culture has desired to see from it's sports figures is sportsmanship, as expressed by acting modesty when you are successful, and having respect for authority. The recent behavior by some black players after scoring touchdowns illustrates how diametrically opposed these cultures are.

Ideally a touchdown was meant to be just what it says, touching the ball down in the endzone. Through the years as the game progressed it became only necessary to carry the ball in or "break the plane" of the goal line, or get two feet down after catching a pass and going out of bounds. Spiking the ball, throwing it to the ground after scoring, is a relatively recent habit and was originally done only when scoring an important TD. When spiking became passe players started to show off by doing a variety of silly dances and celebrations.

The "Icky shuffle" was one of the early versions. Soon, most of the players that scored a lot of touchdowns developed a little dance routine that became their signature TD celebration. The whole thing was a bit silly besides being the antithesis of sportsmanship. A grown man in full football equipment looks ridiculous shaking his butt or acting like a clown, however from the culture those players come from this behavior is considered "entertainment." There are several standard routines available to players that only score rarely but need to act like a fool too. The routines even have their own names. The proliferation of these post touchdown celebrations has become so common place that players who do not indulge in them are a rare and pleasant surprise.

Last season Terrell Owens of the San Francisco 49ers upped the post TD showmanship by pulling out a Sharpie marker from his socks and autographing the football before giving it to a fan. Up until then the height of arrogant behavior. Credit goes to the NFL who sees this as a growing problem and has acted to limit the behavior by fining players for it. Meanwhile the media, always eager to encourage immoral behavior has dubbed the NFL the "No Fun League."

Football players; who never put the health of the sport before their own selfish desires, are ignoring the league on this issue and have been openly defiant. Recently more occurrences have happened to push the envelope on this type of celebration.

Joe Horn a receiver for the New Orleans saints was fined by the NFL $30,000 for pulling out his cellular phone during a touchdown celebration against the Giants. This incident marks the second time this season Horn has been scolded for excessive celebration.

The league also fined Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson $10,000, for pulling out a sign after scoring, which pleaded for the league not to fine him. He scored a touchdown in a 41-38 victory over San Francisco, then ran to a snow bank behind the end zone and pulled out a preprinted orange sign that said, "Dear NFL: Please don't fine me again."

Johnson was fined by the NFL earlier in the year when he posed for an imaginary camera held by teammate Peter Warrick after scoring. Johnson got another $5,000 fine from the league for making a throat-slash gesture following a score against Seattle on Oct. 26.

Last year, the NFL issued a memo to teams in response to the Terrell Owens' Sharpie incident. The memo warned players that any foreign object brought into the field of play would result in disciplinary action in addition to a penalty or ejection from the game.

One would think that the message had been sent loud and clear to the players not to do this. But in a league full of people for whom resisting authority is second nature that was not the case.

Tennessee Titans cornerback Samari Rolle was fined $12,500 by the NFL for a throat-slash gesture and celebrating an interception against the New York Jets. Rolle said he plans to appeal both fines. Rolle was penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct after catching a ball in the end zone in the first quarter of the Titans' 24-17 loss to the Jets. He waved his right hand twice near his neck, was flagged by the officials and fined $5,000 for the banned throat-slash gesture.

Rolle had previously been fined $5,000 by the NFL for dancing during the Titans' 30-17 victory over Miami on Nov. 9. "I'm pushing $20,000 by some people who've never run out of a tunnel before and don't know the emotions that the game is played under," Rolle said. "They're taking the fun away." Rolle said he expects to lose his appeal of the fine from the game against the Dolphins. "I hope I win these next two, or I'll give them something to fine me about," he said.

Obviously he's not too contrite about the issue. Neither is the aforementioned Chad Johnson. In fact he is openly defiant.
The $10,000 fine made little impact on Johnson, who plans to ignore the NFL's guidelines on celebrations and self-expression. "The fine was ridiculous," Johnson said. "It doesn't matter. It's OK. I've got two more games left (this season) that's two more fines, then I'm finished for the rest of my career with the fines."

Tens of thousands of dollars probably doesn't matter too much to multimillion dollar per year players, so the monetary punishment does not look like it's working. The whole incident illustrates how far apart in ideology the white management and fan base are from the black players. How it will be settled is anyone's guess but if history is any indicator the black players will not only have the rule changed in their favor but the league will promote the activity, sponsors will pay the players for it, and once again the ideals of white culture will be further eroded away.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Chad Johnson is an absolute clown. I mean this guy really thinks hes gods gift to the world or something. Everytime I hear that guy speak I just think what a great cook he would make at Mcdonalds.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
MarkQuinn said:
Last time I checked NFL football was a legitimate sport. If you want to dance, go to the club and dance and try not to shoot yourself in the leg, you ass

My nomination for Quote Of The Year.Edited by: PhillyBirds

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Football was a legitimate sport however today I am not so sure. Too many whites have been filtered out at certain positions for it to be legit.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
To keep it simple,playing with emotion is fine. The players just need to remember they play for more than just themselves but for the city, university, and all of the alumni.

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
True enough regarding the overcelebrating ...

On a related note -- does anyone else notice how black football players often high five and celebrate with each other but aren't so demonstrative with their white peers? I often see this with black running backs who manage to run the ball into the endzone -- and they go buck wild dancing and hugging with the wide receiver or whatever other black player had nothing to do with the play, but they don't really hug or high five the white linemen who opened up the hole for them to run through?

They also tend to do this to the QB -- not surprising... All he did was throw the ball to you...

Colonel_Reb said:
What about throwing the ball up in the air with both hands after scoring a TD, sport historian? I have seen this in some SEC clips from the late 60s.

Another late 60's fad was throwing the ball into the stands after scoring a TD. Tennessee had a sophomore TB in 1965 named Walter Chadwick. That year, he would throw the ball in the stands after scoring. In his junior year, Coach Doug Dickey told him to stop doing it. Chadwick proceded to have a very poor junior year. In his senior year of 1967, Dickey allowed Chadwick to toss the ball in the seats and he played better.

I distinctly remember Oklahoma TB Steve Owens throwing the ball in the stands after scoring a big TD in 1968. In 1968, players were throwing the ball in the seats all over the country. Owens won the 1969 Heisman trophy. About that time, throwing the ball in the stands became a penalty and it stopped.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
GiovaniMarcon said:
True enough regarding the overcelebrating ...

On a related note -- does anyone else notice how black football players often high five and celebrate with each other but aren't so demonstrative with their white peers? I often see this with black running backs who manage to run the ball into the endzone -- and they go buck wild dancing and hugging with the wide receiver or whatever other black player had nothing to do with the play, but they don't really hug or high five the white linemen who opened up the hole for them to run through?

They also tend to do this to the QB -- not surprising... All he did was throw the ball to you...

On Monday night after Andre Johnson scored, David Anderson kept bumping into him and slapping his back. Johnson studiously ignored him. After the commercial break they showed Johnson on the sideline. Anderson was still congratulating him. . .

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
sport historian said:
Colonel_Reb said:
What aboutthrowingthe ball up in the air with both hands after scoring a TD, sport historian? I have seen this in some SEC clips from the late 60s.

Another late 60's fad was throwing the ball into the stands after scoring a TD. Tennessee had a sophomore TB in 1965 named Walter Chadwick. That year, he would throw the ball in the stands after scoring. In his junior year, Coach Doug Dickey told him to stop doing it. Chadwick proceded to have a very poor junior year. In his senior year of 1967, Dickey allowed Chadwick to toss the ball in the seats and he played better.

I distinctly remember Oklahoma TB Steve Owens throwing the ball in the stands after scoring a big TD in 1968. In 1968, players were throwing the ball in the seats all over the country. Owens won the 1969 Heisman trophy. About that time, throwing the ball in the stands became a penalty and it stopped.

Thanks for the info sport! I've been wondering about that for years.

MarkQuinn

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

I think this quote from the article says it all:

jaxvid said:
This bad behavior is representative of the black urban culture that has spawned so many of these violators. In opposition to that culture the values white culture has desired to see from it's sports figures is sportsmanship, as expressed by acting modesty when you are successful, and having respect for authority. The recent behavior by some black players after scoring touchdowns illustrates how diametrically opposed these cultures are.

Here's a video that highlights a lot of the examples listed in that article:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYO8D7w93-M

What makes me angry about the video are the ESPN announcers with their dismissive attitude, sort of lamenting over the idea that the NFL may have banned endzone celebrations (which they didn't, sadly). Having said that, I must admit I thought the chainsaw goalpost celebration and Chad Johnson putting the ball were kind of funny ... but still unnecessary. What's also unnecessary is my beloved Troy Polamalu's hair (and he's Samoan). Football is a business. In what other business can an employee defy company regulations in order to "express himself"? I'm worried that someday Troy is going to catch an interception, go streaking down the sidelines, someone is going to grab hold of his hair, yank his head back and snap his neck, killing him instantly. It's possible, isn't it? Doesn't he ever worry about that?

Oh, he wouldn't, would he? He fancies himself a Samoan warrior. Whatever. Love him anyway. Despite the hair, he's one of the few modest players of color in the NFL.

Frankly it's the dancing that bothers me most. This video is very short and doesn't come close to being comprehensive. But it represents everything I hate about the NFL....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py5NfEv6c6s

BTW, a little about me....

Born and raised in The Burg, Steelers fan all my life. Lived for many years in Boca Raton, FL where the proximity to Miami and Marino at QB gave me a soft spot in my heart for the Fins. They're number two for me. Last year was just miserable. I distanced myself from the Steelers, if you can believe it, when I saw Dan Rooney, the phenominal ass that he is, endorsing Obama. And on that note, they say everyone's got a little inherent racism. I never acknowledged mine until this last election season. Now, unless Philip Berg et al get their way, we're going to have a Muslim/communist in the White House. It's never bothered me that he was black --- in fact, I would've voted for Alan Keyes had he won the GOP nomination. What bothers me is ... well. You know all those endzone celebrations and primitive behavior from the "in your face" black urban culture we've been discussing? Now it's happening on a national level. Without knowing they've just elected a Muslim-communist, or not caring, it's celebration time for black America. And when black people celebrate, I get sick to my stomach. A friend of mine, a couple days after November 4, said a black coworker of hers told her "Now white people are going to have to move to the back of the bus". Stupidity like that deserves a president? I don't think so. Or as the great Winston Churchill once said, "The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter".

My apologies for brining politics onto a sports forum. LikeI said, it was "a little about me". I also realize I'm being presumptious in thinking this forum is predominantly anti-Obama. These notes are about me, not an invitation for a political debate. Nevertheless, I must assume that a forum dedicated to the celebration of the downtrodden, under-priveledged white athelete and the various ways thatunrestrained black culture has ruined traditional American sports must see eye-to-eye with me on at least some political matters.

That said, I say:

Go Pens, 09!

Go Steelers, or don't --- doesn't matter to me (thanks Dan Rooney)

Go Palin, 2012!

PhillyBirds

Mentor
MarkQuinn said:
What's also unnecessary is my beloved Troy Polamalu's hair (and he's Samoan).  Football is a business.  In what other business can an employee defy company regulations in order to "express himself"?  I'm worried that someday Troy is going to catch an interception, go streaking down the sidelines, someone is going to grab hold of his hair, yank his head back and snap his neck, killing him instantly.  It's possible, isn't it?  Doesn't he ever worry about that?

I don't approve of the hair either, and this scenario you described has actually happened already. According to NFL rules, hair is part of the uniform and equally available for a tackle. Just ask Larry Johnson:

Technically, a legal tackle.

By the way, terrific posts. I'm really looking forward to your contributions to Caste Football in the future, MarkQuinn.
smiley32.gif
Edited by: PhillyBirds

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Carolina Panthers running back Fred Lane originated the "Electric Worm" celebration in the late '90s. Those were brought to a sudden and definitive end when Fred was shot dead by his wife.

MarkQuinn

PhillyBirds said:
According to NFL rules, hair is part of the uniform and equally available for a tackle. Just ask Larry Johnson:

Technically, a legal tackle.

Thanks for this. I never saw that play or the highlights. Don't tell me for a second the player's aren't aware of that rule. A few years ago it might have been an obscure rule, but with Troy and others, you know, there's no way they're not being warned about this stuff and then talking or bitching about it in the locker room. And yet, the entire Steeler defense started a brawl over a tackle they had to know was legal. I didn't count the black Steelers in that video but.... Nevermind, that's unfair for me to say. I know football is emotional. In their minds, they probably weren't thinking "rules this" or "rules that". They saw a brutal tackle that might have injured their teammate and they had kneejerk reactions. I won't blame them for that. But I do blame Troy and I'm sure he knows if he gets hurt it's nobody's fault but his own (and I hope he admits that to whatever guy that does it to him, provided he isn't killed by the tackle). By the way my girlfriend works for a company that has Troy as one of it's clients and she spoke to him once or twice and concurs he's one of the nicest, most down-to-earth people around (even to her, one of the "little people").

Incidentally, wasn't the NFL supposed to outlaw the long hair thing once and for all, going beyond fines and really starting to ban players? Whatever happened to that?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
My wife absolutely detests the long haired players. She has asked me why almost every team has to have at least one"long haired black girl" on it.
smiley36.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
My wife absolutely detests the long haired players. She has asked me why almost every team has to have at least one "long haired black girl" on it.
smiley36.gif

hey, we have quite a few as well
smiley17.gif
Kevin Curtis for example, AJ Hawk has or had long hair as well.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
That is true backrow. I'm not too big on the long hair myself. You know, sometimes I wish I could see Gartrell Johnson or Chris Johnson get tackled by their hair.

PhillyBirds

Mentor
MarkQuinn said:
Incidentally, wasn't the NFL supposed to outlaw the long hair thing once and for all, going beyond fines and really starting to ban players?  Whatever happened to that?

It was brought up at the off-season meetings at the beginning of this season, but was shot down. They changed the force-out rule at this same meeting.

Too many players were "outraged" byt the notion that the NFL should tell them how to wear their hair. As much as the players want to "express" themselves, it's simply not safe. Quite a few whit players have long hair as well, like Hawk and Curtis, and also Travis LaBoy.