Electronic Timing Devices for sprinting

SprintFan

Hello guy's I'm a newbie in track and field and i have many things to learn about it from such experienced athletes like you are. I started this topic for sharing opinions about electronic timing(Bower, Timing Gates etc) and is there any difference between the official FAT in World Champs and these electronic timing devices(bower etc). But I would like to know your opinion about my electronic timing device which i just bought http://www.probotics.org/SonicTimer/SonicTimer.htm , I usually use the start hand pad and it works for 60-70m. Is the timing method with hand start pad almost as accurate as the timing in the Olympics without the reaction time? The difference between hand start pad and stopwatch is like +0.3sec.

albinosprint

Mentor
for it to be FAT you have to react to a start signal, not that it starts when your remove your had from the pressure pad. also, you have to take into consideration of start blocks which measure you reaction to the gun.

SprintFan

I understand so the only difference would be this to be FAT....but if you add approximately 0.2sec for reaction time than it would be like FAT timing am I right? What I wanted to know is if this device is accurate enough leaving out reaction time altough it has start on voice, the timer starts when you scream GO so it is somehow reaction time involved

albinosprint

Mentor
well, I'm leaving allot out. you still would need a time synced camera for the photo finish.

white is right

Hall of Famer
albinosprint said:
for it to be FAT you have to react to a start signal, not that it starts when your remove your had from the pressure pad. also, you have to take into consideration of start blocks which measure you reaction to the gun.
Right the NFL uses electronic devices but it judges times on the leaving of the start line. If you do this the times will be faster. A few times a year(usually in poorer countries)unknown athletes will do spectacular times that are discredited because of poor equipment or a short track. The most famous recent example was in South Africa where two club level sprinters did a sub 10 and a flat 10. Edited by: white is right

SprintFan

What do you mean with "on the leaving of the start line"....do they use hand/foot pad device on start I didnt notice them...the finish is pretty clear with sensors(so electronically) but the start is unclear and we have 3 possibilities

1. hand/foot pad device which triggers the time as they first move which would be the most accurate(but I dont think that they use, I havent seen it on youtube clips)
2. some small timing device(like a gate or something) wich triggers the run after they cross the starting line(I haven't seen that either)
3. handtime from the first movement(which is more likely from what I seen and the low times they are running)

here is a clip where we can see the start more clearly. What is your oppinion?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_wG4e_y428

white is right

Hall of Famer
I think they use an electronic eye for the start. The runner is allowed to start on his own whim. So nobody gets caught in the blocks.