Dumb question

If inflation is supposedly down from 9 percent to 6 percent recently why is the cost of food still skyrocketing? I'm a smart guy but economics ain't my forte

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
If inflation is supposedly down from 9 percent to 6 percent recently why is the cost of food still skyrocketing? I'm a smart guy but economics ain't my forte
Maybe because "official" government statistics are usually bs.

Whiteathlete333

Hall of Famer
I would say inflation is closer to 20 percent and staying put. A hot dog in New Jersey is now $3.80 at my local fast food place.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I would say inflation is closer to 20 percent and staying put. A hot dog in New Jersey is now $3.80 at my local fast food place.
If you stick to the government basket it's close to these figures but as you said fast food places have socked it to consumers and I would say prices are up 15 percent. Of course you never "need" to shop at X fast food place but you need to buy groceries somewhere(If you're not Farmer Brown) so you will feel the affects of the raises and a few reductions at the grocers.

Supposedly hot dogs have come down because consumers haven't bought them during the pandemic and after the lessening of the pandemic restrictions so prices have been flat to slightly down. Processed snacks are way up probably about 15 percent, fresh fruits are sky high too(less bananas) and meat is up 10 percent.

These price increases mirror the stagflation price increases in the 1970's where it seemed every x months prices went up a dime when a dime was worth 50 cents in todays money. Things were so bad in Canada that the government brought in wage and price controls.

Last edited:

Gator Dad

Guru
A jug of store-brand spring water was 99 cents in 2019. Now it's $2.99. Tripled in four years.

Meat, dairy, fresh fruit, and fresh vegetables - the basic building blocks of a healthy diet - have all been hit hard.

I would never trust spring water. That could be tap water from anywhere and you never know what's in it. I don't think distilled water is that expensive, which is what people should be drinking. It is the only way to be sure you aren't imbibing fluoride. Filters will not take fluoride out. People will tell you that you need to put minerals back into distilled water as it's dead water, but that is a load of crap. You get almost all the minerals you use from the food you eat. The only exception to drinking pure, distilled water is if you are in a job where you sweat all day, such as roofing or some kind of sport. You would need mineral fortified water then to immediately replace some of what is sweated away. Only negative thing about bottled distilled water is some of the plastic will be in it, but it beats the hell out of tap water, and you can minimize that by storing it in a cooler place. The alternative is distilling your own, but that equipment needs to be outside or in a garage. Otherwise all those gases escape into your house.

NWsoccerfan

Mentor
I’ve come to the point where I really only eat the basics like meat, eggs, fruits/vegetables and stick to a few basic carb sources like oatmeal, rice and potatoes. It saves a lot of money. Occasionally my wife and I will go out to eat but not too common. If I’m out somewhere and have no choice I will just let my body fast. Nothing wrong with a short fast every now and then. We are a society built on cleverly designed addictions that don’t cost much for a single serving but add up big time in the long run. I used to work with a guy who would show up to work with a sugar free Red Bull in hand and once he finished that off he’d move on to some kind of calorie free pop or drink. All day he would be chewing nicotine gum. He was totally riddled with these addictions. He couldn’t sit still, constantly on his phone. Just a complete wreck. It can be very hard and uncomfortable to stop these addictions but once you do it becomes much easier to live a healthy life.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve come to the point where I really only eat the basics like meat, eggs, fruits/vegetables and stick to a few basic carb sources like oatmeal, rice and potatoes. It saves a lot of money. Occasionally my wife and I will go out to eat but not too common. If I’m out somewhere and have no choice I will just let my body fast. Nothing wrong with a short fast every now and then. We are a society built on cleverly designed addictions that don’t cost much for a single serving but add up big time in the long run. I used to work with a guy who would show up to work with a sugar free Red Bull in hand and once he finished that off he’d move on to some kind of calorie free pop or drink. All day he would be chewing nicotine gum. He was totally riddled with these addictions. He couldn’t sit still, constantly on his phone. Just a complete wreck. It can be very hard and uncomfortable to stop these addictions but once you do it becomes much easier to live a healthy life.
I rarely eat fast food but was in a hurry today and didn't have time to cook so went through a KFC drive-through. A three piece chicken meal was $10.47 counting tax. WTF? Yet all the fast food places I drive past seem to be doing well.

At any rate, when I'm going good I eat just one meal a day, in the early afternoon, and try to make it a healthy meal. Saves money and is good for overall health.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I ate like this about 6 years ago and ate nothing if I went out beyond maybe some trail mix or nuts. I was weightlifting so it was hard to pass on some high protein fast food but true junk ie doughnuts was easy back then or even now. I did have some energy issues as I saw stars a few times at the gym and once I ate a meal it felt like I hadn't eaten one in a day.

One thing I noticed if you are going to eat like this it takes a day or so to get accustomed to eating like this as I ate had a hard time falling asleep with the calorie cut back I under took but I did drop fat and some muscle and probably was below 15 percent in body fat.

icsept

Master
Arby’s used to have their 5 for $5 roast beef sandwiches. It’s now 4 for $10 (and the sandwiches appear to be smaller.)

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Taco Bell and McDonalds used to be cheap too. Fast food meals will easily run you $10. That’s why if you’ve got time for a slowdown, dine in somewhere local and sit down and enjoy!!

Local taco place has $2 tacos on Tuesday’s. Can’t beat it.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Prices for most things are definitely higher. If you own assets you are fine. If you don’t, you’re hosed.

Imagine buying a house 4-5 years ago and looking in a mortgage payment of 3500 bucks or so. That payment hasn’t changed much but the equivalent in rent for the same house has doubled (or more). The average Americans income hasn’t though. Stocks haven’t performed badly either though I would think they are expensive here.

If you own most risk assets you did fine. Now isn’t a bad time to consider a ladder of short end bonds. Personally I think the fed will be in cutting mode next year early.

Before worrying about a coming financial crisis remember that there will always be crises. It’s a feature of central banked economies. Just be ready for it, you can’t hedge it perfectly but you can hedge it somewhat

booth

Mentor
If running the 40 yd dash is so important for a team to evaluate a player, why don't they have them run it in a full uniform? That's what the players will have on in the game, not shorts and track shoes.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
If running the 40 yd dash is so important for a team to evaluate a player, why don't they have them run it in a full uniform? That's what the players will have on in the game, not shorts and track shoes.
I’ve often wondered that myself I suspect it’s racist because it’s a more realistic test

Warhawk_46

Master
I’ve often said this throughout the years…

The underwear Olympics make no practical sense.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
I’ve often said this throughout the years…

The underwear Olympics make no practical sense.
Practicality has little to do with it really.

Imagine how well whites would do in agility tests relative to blacks even when saddled with equipment. I suspect that’s the real reason. To be clear I still think there would be plenty of black athletes that would do well but relatively speaking I think whites would fare better. Just a conjecture

booth

Mentor
Is it mandatory to use starting blocks in sprinting? Is there that much advantage in using them? Two dumb questions.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Is it mandatory to use starting blocks in sprinting? Is there that much advantage in using them? Two dumb questions.
not dumb questions at all.

1) it’s not mandatory to use starting blocks.
2) there is a HUGE advantage, and the advantage increases more the shorter the sprint distance, which is why you don’t see many runners use them for anything past 400m.

booth

Mentor
not dumb questions at all.

1) it’s not mandatory to use starting blocks.
2) there is a HUGE advantage, and the advantage increases more the shorter the sprint distance, which is why you don’t see many runners use them for anything past 400m.
Thanks, Jimmy Chitwood. I noticed a lot of false starts in the 100 meters and I thought it had something to do with the blocks. That got me wondering if you had to use the blocks. Thanks for the info.

booth

Mentor
I was wondering if anyone else has noticed that they have quit measuring for first downs. I admit I don't watch every minute of a game, but I can't remember the last time they measured for a first down. Yes, I do drink which might be the reason I don't see them bring out the chains.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
They still do, but not nearly as often. That seems like an improvement as many times it was obvious it was short, or had been made, yet a measurement was taken. Now when they measure it's very close either way. A quick search found this article from several years ago. Looks like they have better ways of slowing down the games for all the commercials now rather than have the chain gang run out so often:

SneakyQuick

Mentor
I always found it all pretty subjective when they did measure anyway, like the trot the chains out say it’s an inch or two short?

But that fully depends on a spot of the ball which is purely judgmental.

I watch very little football but it’s interesting that this has changed.

I guess it’s gone the way of a having a guy bring a play call in from the sidelines