Duke hoops ’06-’07

Poacher

Mentor
It seems to me that this year's Duke team is a lunch bucket team. They are winning ugly...but winning nonetheless. They play solid defense. Paulus is starting to settle down (he was spazing earlier in the year). It appears that they have come around just before the ACC starts which is good.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
the Dukies are finally putting it all together, starting with Greg Paulus' outstanding play at the point. he is being strong with the ball, not forcing the issue, and making teams pay for leaving him open. this is the player i've been waiting for.
smiley32.gif

almost as importantly, Josh McRoberts is becoming the most dominant player on the court in every game he plays in.
smiley32.gif
he's stuffing the stat sheet (he had a career-high 21 points, 9 boards, 4 blocks, and 4 assists against Temple) and providing the emotion that Duke has been missing.

if the Dukies keep it up, they could make a very surprising run at yet another ACC championship and may cut the nets down for the whole shabang!

I want to comment on the ESPN VA Tech highlight of a Tech player "attempting" to jump over a Duke player for a dunk. I use the word "attempt" because he did not quite make the leap over a standing still defender. His shoe and lower leg nailed the shoulder and upper chest of the defender yet no charge was called and it was a highlight.
Just because a player is air born that should not mean the basic rules of basketball should be ignored. A defender has a right to his position.

Can anyone comment on the play of Brian Zoubeck? He has good numbers. The question is how does he look on the floor. Slow? Fast? athletic? akward?

Just wondering why it is that he is not getting good playing time given his field goal percentage. Edited by: OC football

white tornado

Mentor
I hate to say it but Dukes guards are not that athletic. I think they need to put Pocious as a starter he's so much more athletic than the starters with his speed he would be imposible to stop.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
I can not understand why Pocius doesn't play more. He's very athletic and plays hard on both ends of the floor. He's a playmaker, something Duke sorely lacks on this team.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I've watched Duke a few times this year, and to be honest, I am a bit disappointed. They just don't look that good.
They don't have a go-to-guy for scoring, especialy when the game is really on the line. They are a solid team, but I think they need another year for most of their young players to learn to play effectively at this top level of college basketball.
They will be a much better next year. This will be a learning year for them.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I think as the season started, expectations rose for Duke. A lot of guys on the board last year said this would be a growing year for Duke, and I think they were right.

Duke starts two freshman. Two sophmores. And one junior. I didnt think that they would be fantastic this year.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Did you guys see the alley oop dunk by McRoberts?He had two of them but the last one was incredible.He jumped from virtually a stand still,caught the ball at his waist and reverse dunked it with authority.It was one of the best dunks that I have ever seen in a game.He made the sportscenter top ten plays!Way to go Duke and what a play by Josh.He is so fun to watch play.Edited by: white lightning

white tornado

Mentor
Did you guys see the play he made when he was dribling up the court was double teamed went between his legs from back to front easily split the double and kept gliding up court.

whiteCB

Master
It was crazy to see 7 white guys on the court at one time during an ACC bball game when Duke was playing NC State on Sat. ACC football is really behind bball it seems in terms of white guys getting a chance to play. I'm sure there would be 7 guys on the football field if Duke was facing NC State in ftball on they have over twice as many people on the field. Duke continues to look good especially for such a young team. I mean come on we have to remember Paulus and McRoberts are both only true sophs. Scheyer the freshman looks to be a pretty good one and has a sick stroke.

sunshine

Mentor
Scheyer will be great at college level--don't think he projects too well for NBA. McRoberts projects but he would be better served staying four years . Needs to improve his outside shot, post moves and polish other things. Very rough around the edges. But he could be great in the NBA down the road if he works at it.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Scheyer is much more athletic than JJ Redick, the player most pundits compare him to. Coach K hates the comparison, insisting that Scheyer is more of a scorer than a shooter. i agree.

Jon has a long way to go to compare to JJ from a shooting standpoint, but he can create off the dribble much better than Redick, for either himself or his teammates. the biggest thing i see that compares to Redick (aside form being a white 2-guard at Duke, of course) is his willingness to take the big shot. most guys hide when it's crunch time, but Jon is emerging as the Dukie who wants the ball late.

-------------------------------------------

as for Duke's struggles this year, it is due to 2 things in my opinion. #1) is obviously youth. when you've only got one upperclassman who contributes, your team is going to be inconsistent.

#2) Paulus was hampered the entire offseason and much of the early part of the year with injuries that prevented him from practicing with the team. this eroded his level of play, which in turn led to a lack of confidence. and as a point guard, if you're not confident, you WILL hurt your team. he has plenty of talent, and his confidence WILL come back. i think Duke will be good, just wait and see...

these problems are really highlighted by the incredibly difficult schedule they've played this year. unlike a lot of programs, they've played some real good programs and taken their lumps. this will pay off later, i believe.

-------------------------------------------------

McRoberts is possibly the best all-around player in college basketball today. i mean, Wow!

the only questions i really have about the Dukies concerns their player rotation... i don't understand why their supposedly best center in decades (Zoubek) is getting so few minutes, while Thomas is in the starting line-up every game and contributing almost nothing.

i also don't understand the absence of Marty Pocius on the floor. he's Duke's best perimeter defender, their quickest player, and one of their most athletic. if he's not hurt, i can't understand why he doesn't get more game action.

whiteCB

Master
Josh McRoberts had an outstanding game last night getting 17 pts to go along with his 12 rbs. Duke is now in the Top 10 and I definitly see another Sweet 16 appearance in the future.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
they are growing more confident as the year progresses. that's the great thing about youth... it doesn't last very long. Remember, the Dukies only play ONE upper-classman. Paulus is also rounding into form, and McRoberts is starting to show a nasty streak.
smiley32.gif

barring something unforeseen, they will continue to get better.

C Darwin

Mentor
ESPN has been consistently reporting the Duke clock controversy, or
as they mention it, the Duke conspiracy. Any opportunity to demean
whites will be exploited in ESPN. PTI did mention how America likes
to root against a perceived white privilege institution like Duke.
Story

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
Duke handled ACC-leading Boston College pretty well last night. McRoberts had a good game, and Pocious played a little and was very impressive, seriously what gives here? WHY does he not play? He can shoot well from the outside, and Duke has no consistent outside shooter. What is Coach K thinking?

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i heard early in the broadcast last night, that Marty has been trying to overcome some kind of injury. he certainly played well in limited minutes against BC.

he scored 5 points on 2-3 shooting, got a couple of offensive boards, and played such stellar defense the guy he was guarding couldn't even touch the ball. hopefully, this is a sign of things to come from him.

McRoberts has finally realized he is the best player on the court, game in and game out. at least, that's what he's playing like. it's about time, too.

whiteCB

Master
Oh man did anyone else see Duke choke against Florida St on their homecourt? What a heartbreaker but Duke played like crap down the end and their youth showed.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
the Dukies lost another heartbreaker last night to UNC. bummer. they've played hard, and despite that they've lost three straight games.

sometimes, the ball just won't go through the basket when you need it to...

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
Duke has bounced back nicely from their recent losing streak holding off a rally from Clemson tonight to win their third straight. If they win out they will help their seeding greatly since this would include a win at North Carolina, and hopefully they can do well at the ACC tourny.

guest301

Hall of Famer
It looks like they are back on track. I am encouraged by Paulus's greatly improved shot and McRoberts improved post game. I wished they used 7-1 Greg Zoubeck more. He should be getting 25 to 30 minutes a game instead of the 12- 15 he usually gets. If we run into the Buckeyes, he will help with Oden and keep McRoberts out of foul trouble.Edited by: guest301

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
that's the biggest question i've had about Coach K's rotation this year... why isn't Zoubek starting and getting more minutes than Lance Thomas? Thomas is averaging barely over 4 points/3 boards per game if i recall correctly, yet he's started nearly all year and gets the lion's share of minutes unless he's in foul trouble. i don't get it... especially when the Duke coaching staff say that Zoubek is their most talented center since Gmiski.

i also don't get why Pocius isn't playing more, now that he's healthy. the guy is a tremendous playmaker on both ends of the court...

white tornado

Mentor
I heard Pocius has asma and can only play three minets at a time which basicaly means he can't practise. Thats the reason he's not on the floor.