Doc Ellis article

Funny thing about Sparky being pressured into starting Ellis in
the All-Star game -- Ellis gave up Reggie Jackson's legendary
home run that hit the lights on the way up in Tiger Stadium.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
That was one of my favorite All-Star games, in part because the Pirates had a dominant team then and were well represented. Ellis started, Roberto Clemente homered, and Willie Stargell was in the midst of his career year. He had 30 homers and 87 RBIs going into the game,amazing numbers for that era.

Looking back, the '71 All-Star game was a baseball showcase for the burgeoning Caste System. Dock Ellis started against Vida Blue, the first time two black pitchers started an All-Star game. It received a lot of publicity. Ferguson Jenkins and Don Wilson also pitched for the NL.Four black pitchers in the All-Star game; now there's only two good black starters in all of baseball. Juan Marichal and Mike Cuellar also pitched inthe '71 game, leavingJim Palmer and Mickey Lolichas the only two white pitchers to see action in that game.

The late '60s to mid-'70s was the height of black domination of baseball. It's been pretty much steadily downhill since, though many sports fans have yet to notice thanks to Caste System propaganda and sterotyping.

whiteCB

Master
The writer for that article is an idiot. You don't call taking LSD or acid getting high, its called tripping or trippin. Getting high is when you smoke weed and that's it. Period. Trippin is when you do hard core drugs like shrooms, LSD, or acid. Trust me I know. Altough how the hell you even pitch in the first place on LSD is beyond me, let alone a no hitter. That is impressive. You know what I mean. Although he probably did it while he was coming down off of it.

According to a guy I spoke with who was a grad student at
UCLA, there was a rumor that Bill Walton was tripping in that
NCAA game where he only missed one shot.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
And Walton still hasn't come down yet!

foreverfree

Mentor
GreatLakeState said:
Funny thing about Sparky being pressured into starting Ellis in
the All-Star game -- Ellis gave up Reggie Jackson's legendary
home run that hit the lights on the way up in Tiger Stadium.

Where was the Dock Ellis article?

John

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It's on the homepage in the right hand column, titled "How to Throwa No-Hitter on Acid."