Do we want more white players going to SEC/ACC?

referendum

Mentor
A top ranked offensive lineman, Shane Ocallahan, just signed with Auburn for next year, and that got me to thinking. Is is better for the cause of white players in general if a sure fire white player who will start no matter where he goes, ends up going to a mostly black SEC or ACC team.
As I see it there are advantages and disadvantages. Some advantages are as follows. In the case of O'Callahan, he was offered by Colorado and Utah, and had he gone there, he would end up competing and possibly displacing a white rival for the starting tackle job. By going to Auburn, however, there is a greater chance that he will end up competing with and displacing a black rival for a starting job. Also, by going to an SEC team, he will benefit from the overexposure and overratedness that the SEC gets. Case in point, had Kris Durham of Georgia, or Riley Cooper of Florida, or Zach Clayton of Auburn, or Craig Stelz of LSU played at Northern Illinois, or Tulsa, or Wyoming, would they have been drafted?
The main disadvantages I can see is for top-notch QB's to go to either conference, with the exception of a Vanderbilt or Boston College, which are much more white friendly. I'd like all good white QB's to go to Big Ten or MWC schools to help bolster those conferences, or white friendly teams like Stanford, Washington State, Nebraska or Rice. In general though I think the way forward is for the SEC and ACC to start looking more like the MWC, or at least the Pac 12. The way for this to happen is for more white players to get offers from these schools of course. Also, I think a white WR, or DB, should think long and hard about where to go, as clearly they will have a better chance at an Iowa or an Oregon than a Miami or a LSU.Edited by: referendum

mattharper

Guru
Excellent question referendum. I personally think if our guys go to less recognizable schools they wont get the exposure the SEC and ACC provide. Look at Floridas Riley Cooper. Granted he should have been a 2nd rd pick in a fair world. I doubt he would have even been drafted if he played for the Big Ten or Mountain West. Remeber Andy Brodell the wr from Iowa? This guy was tall with great hands and blazing speed and he was a great punt returner and he never got a sniff. He did have injury problems but if he was playing for a team like South Carolina he would have been all ACC. How many ACC/SEC receivres are tough, have great hands and rum a 10.5 100 meters? None that I can recall.