Dirk wins 3 pt contest

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
The 3 point contest was won by Dirk Nowitzki, although overall it wasn't a great competition as most guys only got around 14-16, but Dirk did end up with 18 in a good performance.. congrats Dirk! now go out and get the MVP.
smiley32.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
Just one. I was hoping Peja would be in it too.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Do they volunteer to be in this contest or is there some means used to select the participants?

guest301

Hall of Famer
I believe it's 3-point field goal percentage and I think you get a pass if you are last years champion. I"m not sure of that, just a educated guess.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I need to look it up for more info. I made a cursory comparison of Dirk's 3-point % compared to other forwards on the All-Star team and no one even comes close. Were most of the other participants guards? Edited by: White Shogun

guest301

Hall of Famer
Everybody was a guard except for Dirk.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I have such a good feeling about the Mavs this year.I really think that they are destined to get to and win the Nba Finals.One thing is for sure,they will only go as far as Dirk can carry them.He is a superstar!

guest301

Hall of Famer
Ditto to White Lightnings opinion about this being the Mavs year and Dirk for NBA MVP and Finals MVP. I feel it's destiny or maybe I'm wishing for it too hard.

White_Savage

Mentor
Good.
White people throw things exceptionally well. No one wants to admit this of course, because that would be admitting we're athletic at something.

Personally, I think if they raised the basket up some, to the point where being a genetic freak (The average NBA player is 6'7) is no longer the biggest factor, but being able to throw is, that would really change the "complexion" of the game so to speak.

JD074

Master
Something should be done. Here's another idea: shots taken in the paint should be worth only one point, or better yet, make another arc on the court, perhaps 10-15 feet from the basket. Any shot taken within that arc would be worth one point, beyond that arc would be 2 points, and of course behind the 3 point arc would be 3 points. Perhaps the dunk would be glorified a little less if it was only worth one lousy stinkin' point. Just a thought. Edited by: JD074

White_Savage

Mentor
JD:
I believe they actually do something like that in China.

But who are we kidding? The American public likes the slam dunk too much for that.

JD074

Master
White_Savage said:
JD:
I believe they actually do something like that in China.

But who are we kidding? The American public likes the slam dunk too much for that.

I agree, it'll never happen. I also think that the game would be better without the 3-point line, but people like that too much to ever get rid of that either. The 3 point line practically forces the best shooters to camp out 25 feet away from the basket; I can't imagine the NBA game not being a smoother, more efficient game without a 3 point line, or a shorter one. The NBA experimented with a shorter 3 point line for a season or two in the 90's, but I guess they didn't like it. "Too easy," apparently. Sports have to be as painful and difficult as possible.

Another cool change would be limiting the number of dribbles a player could take. Perhaps the ref could start counting dribbles once the ball handler crosses the half-court line. I know, outlandish, will never happen.

Also, going back to two refs, instead of three, would be nice. And limiting the number of time-outs at the end of a game would be fantastic. A basketball game slows down just when it's supposed to get exciting. Duh. Maybe something like: no time-outs during the final two minutes. A bonus would be that players might have to actually think for themselves out there. Whenever I see players try to create for themselves at the end of a game, without a time out to allow the coach to diagram a play, they just dribble around for awhile and then take a terrible shot.

One more: the NBA season is way too long. Nobody pays attention at the beginning of the season because of football anyway. They should start a month later. But of course that means less revenue, so that'll never happen either.

Edited by: JD074