dirk’s meltdown

KG2422

Mentor
Detroit Lions is sure spending a lot of time bashing Dirk and the old Mavs team for someone who is supposed to be supporting white athletes. I guess it's good that they didn't keep Nash.

PitBull

Guru
I agree, KG2422,

"There are plenty of great players in every sport, including league MVP's,
who happened to choke when they were needed to step up most. This
time, Dirk just happened to be the victim. He melted down and laid a 2
for 13 egg when his team's season was on the line."

He dropped in 30 the game before, which could have been a closeout
game. No mention of that.

"However, when you're the man, you get the lion's share of the credit for
the successes (i.e. MVP award), and the lion's share of the blame for the
failures. That's how it's always been, and Dirk's case is no different..
especially in light of how he played in the closeout game."

Not by me. I always look at the facts and blame whoever deserves it. The
rest of the team didn't show up, even when Dirk played well in games 3
and 4. I really don't care about popular perceptions or media analysis.
That's why I come here--I like the truth. Dirk played really badly in Game
6, but that's only one game in six game series. They lost 4 games, and
the rest of the team ate it as well. Their defense sucked. Their bench
play sucked. The coaching sucked too, because they never really made
any adjustments to their ineffective defens-sieve scheme, or took much
pressure off Dirk so he could take a better shot. What about the great
sixth man, Jerry Stackhouse, who shot 35% for the series and got
substantial minutes off the bench? How many close games did that guy
lose for the team?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dirk ain't won no MVP award yet! And
according to Dan Patrick, its Josh Howard who is the greatest player on
the team. I'll take a wild-ass guess and say that Patrick never laid the
wood on Howard for the early exit, no? How bad was the defense on
Jason Richardson by Howard and Stackhouse? Just a guess.

Also, wasn't the story line on Jordan that he didn't have the team around
him to get past the Pistons? The same is true of the Mavs. I don't care
what the offensive stats of these guys are, they don't play good defense,
like Pippen and the rest of the old Bulls did for Jordan. They won't go
anywhere in the playoffs until they do. That's the coach's responsiblity, to
make sure the guys play defense. Not a whisper on that subject by the
good ol' media.

KG, I think he's the same guy who got booted before, and now he's back
with a different handle, doing the same business. I've been wrong before.
We'll see.

cslewis1

Guru
gotta say Gents, that I was quite glad to see Dallas knocked out of the first round. No Mavs/Suns series is a good thing... for those of us who believe the NBA is so far gone it can't be rescued.

A Mavs/suns series would have been a blessing for the NBA and while it would have been nice to have two featured white players, it covers up the fact that the NBA is outrageously anti-white and thuggish.

Even with a couple white superstars the NBA is a culture foreign to white folk, and always will be going forward. The faster its demise(MTV too for that matter) the better off we whites will be.

And by the way, its demise is certain. As eventually will the NFL be if it keeps up its current philopshies. You simply can't alienate the vast majority of your customer base and expect to survive.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
I said this team was the best Mavs team, you're misinterpreting what I am saying. If you're comparing Jason Terry's offensive output to Steve Nash then your argument is laughable. Do you think because Dan Patrick says it then it must be true? Howard is good, no doubt, but none of them can make the big shots like a Nash or Finley did for these teams in previous years. They did so well in the playoffs last year because Dirk carried them with repeated outstanding performances... his cast this year.. But explain to me then, why they went so long without scoring? Can you honestly say the old Mavs teams could be shut out for such a long stretch of the game? These Mavs do not have anywhere close to the Mavs offensive firepower those years but they are a better all around team..

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
for what it's worth, Dirk was getting MUGGED the whole series but never got the calls. as much as i want to see him throw one down on somebody, i can understand how he could get frustrated at not getting ANY respect from the officials. especially when no talent hacks are getting away with murder.

just my two cents.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Jimmy Chitwood said:
for what it's worth, Dirk was getting MUGGED the whole series but never got the calls.

That's why I've forsworn the NBA altogether. What little I watched of the Mavs-Heat series last year clinched it for me. Dirk couldn't get a call to save his life while Wade was going to the line every time somebody looked at him crosswise.

No thanks.

guest301

Hall of Famer
KG2422 said:
I have to disagree with you fellas' assessments. Dirk was triple teamed anywhere inside the three point line. He tried to force some shots in the first half and they didn't fall. The smart thing to do when you are double and triple teamed is to pass. His teamates should have made shots when he passed. One problem was his teamates don't swing the ball around fast enough like they used to when the team was whiter. I've been watching the Mavs in the playoffs for several years now and Dirk has always played well in the playoffs. Now all of the sudden everyone is branding him a choke artist. Nellie and the warriors have their number right now. Some teams just match up with you well. And the warriors played out of their minds. Stephen Jackson made seven threes in a row. They could have beat anybody playing like that. That being said, Dirk's defense looked like the old Irk Nowitzki from his rookie season. And he should have fouled someone hard to illustrate how he was being manhandled out there.

Ditto to everything in that post KG. I saw every single minute of that entire series and Dirk was consistently double and even triple teamed everytime he put the ball on the floor. Don Nelson knows Dirk well and what works against the Mavs..a team he built by the way. Let's not forget that Dirk is a power forward and needs the ball to get fed to him in the right places, it's far easier for a guard who has the ball in his hands all the time to take over a game. So where was former all-star point guard Jason Terry in this series or 6.8 million dollar man Eric Dampier. Why did Josh Howard disappear in the second half of most of those games. Don't get me twenty points in the first half and two points in the second half. My critism of Dirk in this series is he needs to be more of a assertive leader and not be so docile sometimes and be more aggressive in splitting the double teams and go straight to the hole. I have seen him do that before and he should have in this series. He's still the man though and deserves his regular season MVP although I hope Nash gets it to spare Dirk the ignominy of it all.

Lance Alworth

Mentor
cslewis1 said:
gotta say Gents, that I was quite glad to see Dallas knocked out of the first round. No Mavs/Suns series is a good thing... for those of us who believe the NBA is so far gone it can't be rescued.

A Mavs/suns series would have been a blessing for the NBA and while it would have been nice to have two featured white players, it covers up the fact that the NBA is outrageously anti-white and thuggish.

Even with a couple white superstars the NBA is a culture foreign to white folk, and always will be going forward. The faster its demise(MTV too for that matter) the better off we whites will be.

And by the way, its demise is certain. As eventually will the NFL be if it keeps up its current philopshies. You simply can't alienate the vast majority of your customer base and expect to survive.

This is a great post. I haven't watched the YoBA in about 15 years since Bird retired, and I aint about to change that anytime soon. I'm sickened by all the attention that smarmy little punk Lebron James recieves while a hockey talent like Sidney Crosby goes virtually ignored by the talking heads at BSPN

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
as i was getting ready for work this morning, i saw an announcement scroll across the bottom line on ESPN...

it said that Dirk will be named the MVP. Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

guest301

Hall of Famer
I am one of Dirk's biggest fans but I am not sure I am happy he gets this award. Not that he doesn't deserve it, but it has a hollowness to it this year and just gives more ammunition to his critics. Some cretins are actually calling for a recall of their MVP vote.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I'd rather have seen Nash win 3 in a row, but in a way I'm glad another white star finally got some credit. Both Nash and Dirk are dominant players and having an MVP award will show that to all those in the future who might doubt it.