Derek Abney’s back

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
The Detroit Lions signed Derek Abney off of their practice squad to help fill in for the shortage of recievers and kick returners.

I didn't even know he was on their practice squad, I guess he got the David Kircus spot, you know, the one practice squad spot reserved for a white reciever that should actually be playing but is the wrong color for the position.

I don't think he'll get any PT anyway. But he can jump up an down on the sidelines cheering the brutha's on so he's got that going for him.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
That's exciting news.I hope he does get to play some how.This kid is far too talented to be sitting at home or working a 9-5 job.He runs a legit 4.3 in the 40.I would have guessed he would have gotten an opportunity before Welker did.I hope he can break a few long runs and find a way to get back into the nfl full time.This guy deserves a roster spot as much as anyone.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I think Jaxvid has it right, though of course I hope I'm wrong. Mariucci seems to have a perverse need to have a white receiver buried on his roster to jerk around. Before Kircus it was Mark Harris, who was 6-5 with hands of glue, who languished on the 49ers bench for years and never did get a chance to play.

Poor Abney has already gone from the Ravens to the Bears to the Lions with none giving him an opportunity. Could he really be any worse than the Lions' collection of underachieving first rounders and journeymen retreads at WR? He would pay big dividends to any team that would let him return kickoffs and play some wide receiver.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I hope Derek makes it, he could really be a force on kick returns and as a possession receiver. I wish him well.

whiteCB

Master
That was funny Don about Marriuuci and white WRs. I think Mariuuci just loathes goos white football players at skill positions better than he was becuase lets face it Mariucci was not that good at playing football. Therefore he believes blacks are better athletes and thinks whites are inferrior. Thats the truth.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Yes, I was mistaken, Derek Abney has been signed to the practice squad, not the game roster. The Lions are short on recievers and kick returners but Mariucci says that R.W. McQuarters, the Bears cast-off cornerback can handle the kick off duties (he did well last week) and if necessary he can play reciever too! How about that! A cast-off cornerback is a better candidate for wide reciever then Abney who has starred at the position before. The caste system rolls on....