Daryl Stephenson(The Next Lumsden?)

lumsdenpower

Mentor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Di_EgbPr00

Considered by many as the top running back in CIS football history, former BLG Award nominee Éric Lapointe couldn't do it. Former BLG winners Jesse Lumsden, Kojo Aidoo and Tim Tindale also came up short.

Considering the first three reached the Canadian Football League and Tindale had a three-year stint in the NFL, the question became legitimate: would a CIS player ever rush for over 1000 yards in three consecutive seasons ?

Enters Daryl Stephenson, a six-foot-two, 232-pound running machine out of Clarke Road High School in London, Ont. A tailback with 4.5 speed in the 40-yard dash, Stephenson took a handoff 49 yards down the middle for a touchdown on his very first carry as a Windsor Lancer on September 6, 2004 and hasn't stopped running since.

The human kinetics student ended up setting a CIS rookie record with 1192 yards on the ground in his varsity debut and added a pair of CIS rushing crowns in 2005 (1306 yards) and 2006 (1140). That's three straight 1000 yards campaigns... in his first three seasons!

Amazingly, Stephenson, who has scored 29 more times in conference play since his first CIS touch, is already only 1100 rushing yards away from the CIS career mark set over five seasons by Manitoba's Dominic Zagari (1991-95).

Are good genes the secret to the 2006 Hec Crighton Trophy recipient's success? Could be. His father, Daryl Sr., is an alumnus of Western Mustang football, while his cousins Luke and Matt Kieswetter play basketball for the Waterloo Warriors under their dad - and Daryl's uncle - Tom.

Stephenson's Accomplishments:

2006: OUA and CIS Player of the Year;
CIS first-team All-Canadian;
CIS rushing leader (1140 yards), 2 nd in CIS in TDs (12);
Became first player in history to rush for over 1000 yards in 3 straight seasons;
Selected for 2007 CIS East West Bowl.

Previous: 2005 CIS first-team All-Canadian;
2005 CIS rushing leader (1306 yards);
2004 Set CIS rookie record for rushing yards (1192);
Has scored 30 TDs in 24 regular season games in his first 3 seasons.
Edited by: lumsdenpower

Gi-15

Mentor
I hope Stephenson gets invited to the East-West shrine game, so he can showcase his skills, just like lumsden did.

also remember that those rushing totals comes from 8-games seasons.Edited by: Gi-15

backrow

Hall of Famer
wow, nice indeed. however i will assume that he is not actually a better playert han Lumsden at this point, so it will be extremely hard for him to make it to the NFL.

art2790_pic1.jpg

lumsdenpower

Mentor
Do you have seen Lumsden in college?
I have and Stephenson hit the hole a lot faster than Lumsden did at this time and is more fast than Lumsden, Lumsden is more strong, but Stephensen have better hands...
At this point, Stephensen is a better all around player than Lumsden was..

backrow

Hall of Famer
lumsdenpower said:
Do you have seen Lumsden in college?
I have and Stephenson hit the hole a lot faster than Lumsden did at this time and is more fast than Lumsden, Lumsden is more strong, but Stephensen have better hands...
At this point, Stephensen is a better all around player than Lumsden was..

that's good to know! what are his measurements? size, speed, strength?

lumsdenpower

Mentor
One source said 4.4 and other said 4.5, but I really more believe 4.4 anyway he got the game speed, I guess we are gonna know more when he is gonna be invited at NFL camp 'cause that pretty sure he is gonna get invited. But again, i'm not sure of anything at 100percent, but if he get screwed in NFL, he is gonna go a lot of coverage in CFL, and I really expect him and Lumsden to be the 2 best back in the league..That would be cool to see, that the 2 best runing back in CFL are white..Stephensen got a lot of potential, I dont even think he need to gain power.

white is right

Hall of Famer
He doesn't look as fast as Tindale did. But that could be because for the most part he was shown running on some sloppy fields. He will make a CFL roster. I think he will be a free agent in the NFL. Who knows if he will be given more than a token shot in the NFL....
smiley5.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
white is right said:
He doesn't look as fast as Tindale did. But that could be because for the most part he was shown running on some sloppy fields. He will make a CFL roster. I think he will be a free agent in the NFL. Who knows if he will be given more than a token shot in the NFL....
smiley5.gif

something tells me that a lot of i depends on how well will Leonard do. is he does well enough i am pretty sure that someone will take a shot at using similar white runningbacks.

how big is this guy btw?

lumsdenpower

Mentor
I would LIKE to see a black canadian running back who will put the same number as Lumsden or Stephensen, just to see if he would be treated like Lumsden, that would be funny

Gi-15

Mentor
From Yahoo.com prospect watch :

Windsor (Canada) senior running back Daryl Stephenson, who last year won the Hec Crighton Trophy - Canadian version of the Heisman - is on pace to gain over 1,000 yards rushing for the fourth straight season. He is a well-built, tough, between-the-tackles runner who also possesses 4.5 to 4.55 range speed. His size (6-2, 232 pounds), running style and production have drawn comparisons to Jesse Lumsden, the former McMaster standout who spent time in the NFL with Seattle before heading to the CFL with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. Stephenson is drawing heavy consideration from the Canadian Shriners, who help select prospects who attend each year's East-West Shrine Game.