Crocop hurts people

freedom1

Mentor
Here's a report from the latest Pride:

TOKYO, Sept. 10 â€â€￾ Four months of hype and anticipation finally came to a head Sunday as Dream Stage Entertainment put on the finals to the first ever PRIDE Open-Weight Grand Prix tournament inside a packed Saitama Super Arena.

The tournament started with a field of 16 fighters back in May and was narrowed down to four finalists â€â€￾ Mirko Filipovic (Pictures), Wanderlei Silva (Pictures), Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (Pictures) and Josh Barnett (Pictures) â€â€￾ for today's semifinal and final round.

The finals saw "Cro Cop" and Barnett face off for the tournament crown.

Filipovic got the upper hand first, scoring his patented high kick on Barnett that dropped the American catch wrestler down to one knee. From here the Croatian opened up with a strong flurry of punches in the corner. Just as things were starting to look bad for Barnett, the 27-year-old roared back with a knee that just missed Filipovic's head.

Shortly after a doctor's check of a cut to the side of the Croat's right eye, Barnett went down for a second time as a result of well-placed uppercuts. Filipovic followed up this advantage by pounding the American from within the guard.

As Barnett shrimped to the side for an armbar from the bottom, "Cro Cop" connected with several strikes, finishing off with a crushing left hand that slammed into the American's right eye. This definitive punch was the final one of the fight and it forced Barnett to tap at 5:32 of the first to avoid further punishment.

Barnett said that he took an unintentional thumb to the eye as Filipovic posted out to defend against the armbar attempt, impairing his vision and making it impossible to defend against the strikes the Croatian rained down.

Backstage, Filipovic, who celebrated his 32nd birthday tonight, had nothing but praise for the American fighter, even extending an open invitation for Barnett to train with him and his team. "Cro Cop" further stated that it wouldn't have mattered who he fought in the finals â€â€￾ tonight was his night.

Prior to meeting Barnett in the finals, Filipovic faced Chute Boxe fighter and PRIDE middleweight champion Wanderlei Silva (Pictures) in a highly anticipated match-up. This was a rematch of an April 2002 encounter, which took place under modified rules that favored action on the feet.

"Cro Cop" really displayed his technical stand-up abilities in this bout, throwing straight, well-timed punches to counter Silva's furious barrages of wild haymakers.

After knocking the Brazilian down with a straight left and connecting with punches in the guard, the fight had to be paused for the ring doctors to check Silva's badly swollen right eye.

Upon getting back to his feet after a restart from the guard, Silva once again came out swinging with wild haymakers at Filipovic, whom just a day before Silva said he hated.

"Cro Cop" avoided the bombs and connected with an absolutely textbook left leg high kick to Silva's head, dropping the middleweight champion for good at the 5:26 mark.

This kick will forever live on the Croatian's explosive highlight reel. With Silva's right eye almost completely swollen shut, the Brazilian champion couldn't have seen this kick coming until it was too late. This is the first time Silva has been knocked out since facing Vitor Belfort (Pictures) in the UFC in 1998. "Cro Cop" made the once seemingly invincible Brazilian look human, dominating him with pinpoint striking and pushing the fight on the ground.

A real grappling war played out between Barnett and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (Pictures) during there semifinal bout, and the judgment of this close fight will no doubt be a point of controversy for some time to come.

In the opening 10-minute period Barnett locked on a good guillotine attempt, only to have the Brazilian Top Team fighter escape and later taking side-control before moving to the mount. From here Nogueira put on an excellent armbar attempt. The American grabbed his arm to prevent Nogueira from getting full extension and then managed to struggle back up to his knees to escape.

The second round once again saw Nogueira take mount, only to have Barnett performed a textbook bridge to reverse into the guard. Later in the round Nogueira got around to the American's back, but was unable to get his hooks in to maintain position.

In the bout's final 30 seconds Barnett applied a strong kneebar attempt, but Nogueira, a former PRIDE heavyweight champion, defended against the technique to the final bell.

This was very close and could have gone either way, but in the end the judges gave the win to Barnett by split decision.

The leather was flying in the Open-Weight Grand Prix reserve bout when Aleksander Emelianenko (Pictures) faced off against former teammate Sergei Kharitonov (Pictures).

Emelianenko was bumped out of the tournament in the first round by Josh Barnett (Pictures), and this was Kharitonov's first time back to the ring since separating his shoulder in his bout against Alistair Overeem (Pictures) last February.

Aleksander, the man I dubbed "The Russian Roy Jones Jr.", displayed his sharp, crisp boxing in this bout, picking away at Kharitonov with lightning-fast jabs while slipping punches and expertly floating around the ring. Kharitonov, however, was the first to land a power punch, as he knocked Emelianenko to the canvas and scored the mount. However, the brother of the current PRIDE heavyweight champion tied up his opponent's hands on the bottom and escaped before Kharitonov could inflict any damage.

Back on their feet, Emelianenko continued to put on a boxing clinic and connected with two hard, unanswered right hands that rocked his opponent. The Red Devil fighter sprawled as Kharitonov shot in for a takedown and scurried to his turtled opponent's back. From here Emelianenko fired punches from behind and finished off with knees from the side until the referee stopped the fight at the 6:45 mark.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
WAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR CRO-COP! </font>

That write up doesn't do justice to these fights. I urge all of you who are able, to order the replay of the Pride Open Weight Grand Prix Finals. Get them on You Tube. Download the bootleg. Watch-these-fights.

Cro-cop absolutely destroyed Wanderlei Silva. Cro-cop took out one of the best fighters on the planet and made it look easy.

Watching a Croatian white man fight a lumpy American white man fight it out for the Pride Championship was incredible. On their way to the championship, they left in their wake a slew of Japanese, blacks, Brazilians, and Samoans.

There is nothing not to like about Mirko and Barnett. They comport themselves well, they don't trash talk, they don't jump around like idiots, neither of them are tattoeed up like gangsters, they're prime examples of what tough, no-nonsense white men can be like.

Don't be put off from ordering or watching these fights because of what you've seen of MMA in the UFC. The Pride OWGP is the real deal.

Congrats to Cro-cop on his well deserved victory!
Edited by: White Shogun

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
mirko-filopivic_wanderlei-silva.gif
Edited by: White Shogun

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Croation Cop.

Mirko Filopovic is his name. He has been a member of Croation Special Police and Croation parliament.

freedom1

Mentor
Yes, I agree, Mirko really exemplifies what a white athlete can be. He said one time when pressed in an interview that "while the others are talking me and Fedor are working."

He's inspirational to watch. Check out his fight with Sapp. When you see them square off, you think there's no way Cro cop can do anything with this giant, then suddenly CC nails him with a punch and Sapp just stops in pain from a broken facial bone.

Bart

Hall of Famer
I watched the video of the Cro-Cop - Silva fight. Both are very tough fighters. Cro-Cop has lost matches in his career, but at this point looks very impressive.White Shogun is much more knowledgable than I, but it seems to me, Cro-Cop is one of the most deadly strikers in the sport, whether with his fists or legs. Silva is very intimidating and is regarded as being somewhat of an animal. The scene ofhim lying on the mat with blood running fron both his eyes, his nose and a huge gash at the side of his skull is gruesome. He damn near had his head taken off.

Poacher

Mentor
Man I didn't think Barnett could do it but he proved me wrong. Barnett had a helluva tourney beating Mark Hunt and Nog. I didn't really see what happened to him against CC but I think he just took a hard shot to the eye. That body shot that CC threw was monstrous...dropped Josh like a bag of beans. As for "the axe murderer," I think he may need a little quiet time for awhile. Forget Chuck, Wandy just needs to get his head re-connected to his shoulders first. He was definately taken down a peg or four.

"Watching a Croatian white man fight a lumpy American white man fight it out for the Pride Championship was incredible. On their way to the championship, they left in their wake a slew of Japanese, blacks, Brazilians, and Samoans."

Great observation. They started with 16 fighters, three of which were white. Thompson got KTFO'd by Fujita in the first round of the tourney but after that CC and Barnett cleaved their way through the horde to emerge. Awesome. Is Nog looking a little like a shot fighter at this point? The man has taken many, many shots to the head.

That write up was over on Sherdog and was very uninspired and flat. I guess the author wanted Silva and Nog in the final. Hence his assertion that the Nog/ Barnett decision "will be a point of controversy for years to come." Bullsh*t. Josh won it..just watch it for crying out loud. Yeah it was close but not THAT close.

Congrats to CC. I picked him to win it and I'm happy for him. Now a rematch with Fedor looms.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Bart said:
Silva is very intimidating and is regarded as being somewhat of an animal. The scene of him lying on the mat with blood running fron both his eyes, his nose and a huge gash at the side of his skull is gruesome. He damn near had his head taken off.

For some reason, the movie "Lord of the Rings" comes to mind, but I don't know why.....
smiley36.gif

Poacher

Mentor
Anyone catch that iconic shot of Mirko before the Barnett fight when he was waiting to walk to the ring? He was standing at the end of curved, lighted hallway and all you could see was his silouhette. The scene was quite impressive.

JD074

Master
Wow, he dismantled Silva, awesome!

Well, if the Liddell/ Silva fight was already dead (that was the rumor anyway,) I guess it's really, really dead now.

This is pretty trivial, but did anybody see Mirko trying to get away from his trainer (or whoever he was) after the Silva fight? The guy tries to hug Mirko and he pulls away, and then he puts his hand on Mirko's shoulder and he rips it off. Very strange!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
JD074 said:
This is pretty trivial, but did anybody see Mirko trying to get away from his trainer (or whoever he was) after the Silva fight? The guy tries to hug Mirko and he pulls away, and then he puts his hand on Mirko's shoulder and he rips it off. Very strange!

We saw that, too. I thought it might have been because he was still hyped from all the adrenaline. I think he was just contemplating what he had accomplished, years of frustration and anger were being released. But who knows really?

Bart

Hall of Famer
JD074 said:

I noticed that too. Could be he had pain in that area or perhaps he just didn't want to get mauled by his crew. After being on the mat tied up in scissor locks he probably didn't want any more close contact.

How long of a rest did he and Barnett have before facing each other?Two fights in one evening? Why did the ring attendants take so long to check out Silva's eye? Is that a normal amount of time?He certainly had time to get a much needed second wind. The best part was that he got it handed to him big-time after doing that frenzied stare down. It was like when Maskaev KO'd that preening trash talking goof.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I think the amount of time they spent checking out Silva's eye was far from ordinary. They took far too long and probably should have stopped the fight if there was that much doubt. I was going to be major pissed if Silva ended up winning that fight after the long delay. But Cro-cop put him away only moments later anyway, so...
smiley4.gif

Having said that, Pride usually allows fights to go much longer, and are not so quick to stop championship fights as the UFC is, either. There were moments in several of the fights on the Pride card where I believe the fight would have been stopped had the fight been held in the USA under UFC rules. The first time Silva went down and Cro-cop jumped on him and hit him with about 20 hammerfists to the face and head would have been one of them.

I personally like the fact that Pride doesn't immediately stop fights. Some of the guys who are stunned and knocked to the ground come to and can continue to defend themselves, but in the UFC many times the ref stops it on the spot, first 'ko' if you will. Edited by: White Shogun