Craig Pickering

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Actually Pickering doesn't usually talk that much.I personally like the fact that unlike most white athletes,he is not intimidated.Craig is a very well spoken young man who carries himself with alot of class.I have seen many interviews and read countless articles on him.He is not cocky but is very confident.You have to be to be an elite level sprinter.Wariner is very confident in his ability and he doesn't back down from anyone.I really like Craigs chances to eventually be the fastest white sprinter of all time.I will go on to say that he can also challenge for the world record someday.You guys can laugh but this kid has unreal potential!Congrats to him winning both of his heats.Good luck in the finals.
smiley32.gif

PitBull

Guru
Must be all those PED he took for breakfast. I guess we'll never be sure.
Hat's off to Craig for finshing second. I'm sure he'll improve as the summer
goes on.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Maybe so but it was just one of those days.For Pickering to take the silver at only 20 years of age,that is no small feat.I congratulate Gardener as he is a very humble,modest guy.Jason has never been anything more than a indoor sprinter.He just hasn't been able to run with much success outdoors.This is where Craig will be even better.Remember,Craig is just a sophmore in College.We have yet to see even close to what kind of times he will put down.This race will leave him as hungry as ever for his first gold medal at the Senior Level! I can't wait to see him outdoors.

It was also good to see Matic finally throw down respectable time.He has really struggled with his form thus far.Hopefully he will get it corected before this summer.He just missed the bronze!

albinosprint

Mentor
any video links for the race?

bigman

Guru
Freedom said:
bigman said:
"He talks alot, something Borzov never did."
Did Borzov know much English? Are Russians generally reserved in sports? I think Russian athletes don't usually talk much unless they've spent a lot of time in the US.
Borzov (Ukranian) didnt talk much at 22 years old when he wasthe topsprinter in the world at both the100 and 200. Edited by: bigman

devans

Mentor
albinosprint said:
any video links for the race?

Try this [url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/sol/newsid_6410000/newsid_64180 00/6418045.stm?bw=bb&mp=wm[/url]

A little disappointing to be so far away from Gardner - but then so was everyone else. I think the two false starts - not shown in video - didn't help his start.

European Silver at 20 is a great achievement. Pipping the lone African nation at the euro championships (France) for the Silver was the icing on the cake.

High jumper Steffan Holm is amazing. He is one of the shortest top class high jumpers at only 1.81 Meters. They say that with coaching and trainingreasonably fit and able people should be able to jump their own height. He has jumped 59cm overhis own height, which is a world record.

I'd have to disagree.  I get the feeling black sprinters don't even care.  If
they did, the speed guys wouldn't be concentrating on football rather
than sprinting.  The college-aged Europeans don't play football. 
Therefore, they have the time to train all fall, and compete all winter..

Oh, they care. They care a lot. Many of them are aware on some level that
they don't want any door opened at all. They feel that if a few whites gain
a foothold, then it's all over for the complete surpemacy they enjoy. Much
the same as some black heavyweight boxers spoke back in the day. You
know, the days when black heavyweights ruled the roost, before they
became, for the most part, jokes.

Wariner and later Rock and the other Europeans galled not only a lot of
black quartermilers, but more importantly a lot of coaches, managers and
media people who didn't like what they saw. When Wariner announced he
was going to try and hit the 200 last season, many people said -
including myself - not to be surprised at a big drop in times - by the
media's faves. Wow. Guys were cutting huge chunks of their 200's - and
lookin' more buff while doing it. A lot more buff as they say. But it's all
coincidence.

But, back to the subject at hand. Very few whites bother to go after the
100 and other short sprints. There is a higher percentage of blacks with
the 'make-up' to be sprinters, but what we see on the track is purely the
result of whites being brainwashed into not competing. However, it does
seem as if the pendulum is slowly starting to swing the other way. Once
one white guy breaks 10, and he will be the most heavily drug tested
athlete on the track, you can expect to see a slew of the usual suspects all
of a sudden start running consistent 9.8's and 9.7's. Unless there is a
political change at the top of the sport. If you don't think there are people
at the top rooting for someone like Merritt (look at some of the drug
hounds coaching/advising him) to knock off Wariner, Rock etc then you
are in dreamland.

One favorite example of mine is the treatment black US sprinters enjoyed
for DECADES - sprinters like Carl Lewis. Caught using drugs time after
time after time. Nothing done. Nothing said. Results hidden from the
public. All Lewis says now is that he was doing what the other guys were.
Yeah. Some talent. Plus a boatload of pharmaceuticals.

While sprinters get the attention, some of the most racist talk I've heard
from black athletes was a conversation I listened to (eavesdropping)
between a Jamaican and British (black guy) pair of triple jumpers,
complaining about all the white guys in the event, why wouldn't they just
go on to something else, etc. It was quite hilarious in some ways. Edited by: Colonel Callan

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I just noticed that there is a current thread at trackandfieldnews.com in the message board.It is asking who will possibly go sub 10 first,Pickering or Yepishin. You guys should check it out.I would say that the both of them have around a 50% chance of doing it by the end of this summer.I know that is a bold prediction but I just feel that it might finally be the right time.Let's hope so.
smiley32.gif

Arrowhead

athlete on the track,

You're right, but he'll also be the most well paid athlete on the track. A white man running under 10 seconds blows open a whole new market for track and field, and its marketability in North America. I also have a feeling that white men under 10 is like the first sub-4 minute mile; once it happens, it won't be long until its followed up by others, someone just has to sneak through, and eventually the flood gates will open, once people see that it's possible.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Exactly what I have been saying for a long time now.It is more of a mental barrier than a pshyical barrier! Once whites realize it is possible,more will join in and participate.Look at how Wariner has influenced countless american kids and others around the world to take up the 400 meters.Just wait till J.W. breaks 20 seconds in the deuce soon!The effect will be incredible.Our biggest hurdle is still to have consistant 100 & 200 guys that are competetive.We can only hope that those days are coming to an end soon.I have said before,Pickering has the potential to go sub 9.9 or sub 9.8 someday!

white is right

Hall of Famer
white lightning said:
Exactly what I have been saying for a long time now.It is more of a mental barrier than a pshyical barrier! Once whites realize it is possible,more will join in and participate.Look at how Wariner has influenced countless american kids and others around the world to take up the 400 meters.Just wait till J.W. breaks 20 seconds in the deuce soon!The effect will be incredible.Our biggest hurdle is still to have consistant 100 & 200 guys that are competetive.We can only hope that those days are coming to an end soon.I have said before,Pickering has the potential to go sub 9.9 or sub 9.8 someday!
You need more Pickering type talents. Let's face it like most sports most prospects fail. But if you had 10 Craig Pickerings around the world one would make it. Who would have thought Obea Moore would run his best times at 17, or MLF would be slower well into his twenties then when he was 19? We forget these guys failures because their a lot of black prospects so some eventually bust through and become star seniors...

Angelcynn

Guru
Im amazed that you all know about Craig Pickering on the other side of the pond, it's great to see. He really is a fantastic athlete and a great guy who seems to have his feet firmly on the ground. The one problem I have with him is his height. I don't know his exact height but he looks around 5'10 when most of the fastest people in the world these days are normally 6'' and over giving them bigger strides especially at the finnish line. Having said that i've watched his last 5 races and I still have high hopes for him. He will break the 10 second barrier!

albinosprint

Mentor
Andre Cason was 5'-8" and he had no problem breaking 10, though he was most likely on the juice. Dennis Mitchell was another guy under the 6' mark. I don't think it will be a problem for Craig.

SteveB

Mentor
albinosprint said:
Andre Cason was 5'-8" and he had no problem breaking 10, though he was most likely on the juice. Dennis Mitchell was another guy under the 6' mark. I don't think it will be a problem for Craig.

Andre Cason is closer to 5'-6", he is a little guy. There a lot of sub-6' elite sprinters out there, but many are probably on the juice.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Cason might have been the shortest world class sprinter in the modern era. He retired because of bad leg break. I am virtually certain it was because of side affect of juicing. He shattered his femur, which shouldn't be possible for a young healthy super fit person.

devans

Mentor
It shouldn't happen to an unfit person -unless you come off your motorbike at 70Mph. It is probably the strongest bone in your body.

albinosprint

Mentor
broken femur is a direct side affect of juice. some steroids cause calcium deficiency and your muscle grow faster then normal. this all results in the bones not being strong enough for your weight. I have seen this firsthand. I knew a guy in high school that was a big juicer. he grew ridiculously large in a few months and one day while running to first base his femur shattered.

devans

Mentor
Thanks for the explanation

hedgehog

Mentor
Arrowhead said:

athlete on the track,
You're right, but he'll also be the most well paid athlete on the track. A white man running under 10 seconds blows open a whole new market for track and field, and its marketability in North America. I also have a feeling that white men under 10 is like the first sub-4 minute mile; once it happens, it won't be long until its followed up by others, someone just has to sneak through, and eventually the flood gates will open, once people see that it's possible.

I couldn't disagree more. During the 1980's and 90's everybody thought if the day ever came where a white man were to be a heavy weight champ again, he will be the highest paid athlete ever. (I think Larry Holmes even said that once.) Well, here we are in 2007, we have had 4 or 5 different whites holding a heavyweight belt since then, and nobody even knows their names. So I wouldn't hold your breathe on that one.Edited by: KJV1

waterbed

Mentor
hi guys,
i am new on this website.
i was searching on google,fastest white sprinter(because on the tv i see always black sprinters)and came on this website.i do not trainig track and field.I play soccer.Last week it was sport day(once a year) at my school.this year a did sprinting and i did run a 7.01(I was the fastest of my class)
at the 60 meters(ther was not a hunderd meter sprint). do you guys think i have a chance to become a fast sprinter if i go start training sprint?

albinosprint

Mentor
hi waterbed, welcome to the site. how old are you?

white is right

Hall of Famer
waterbed said:
Thanks! I am 18 years old.
It depends if you have any training. If your really raw you have potential. Your time is already a club level sprinter time. You must make sure you were really running 60 metres not 58 or 59 and the timing is hand not electronic. At the Ontario championships many people are running times in that range for 60. Good luck.....
smiley32.gif