Craig Pickering

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Last weekend was really good for white track fans! I hope this trend continues. Hopefully will shut some more mouths at the next meet.

devans

Mentor
Obikwelu is a great sprinter - and it's true what he says. He does pull away from people in the final 40 meters. Craig has a little way to go yet before he can beat him; but has plenty of time.Having said that I think he is capable of beating everyone else in Europe over 100M this Summer.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Craigs last 40 meters of his race is his strength too! I'm not saying that he is ready for Obikwelu yet,but he will be within a few years.With his starts improving so much,he might just aproach a sub 10 by this summer if conditions are perfect.That would be a newer fast track,hot weather and a positive wind around 2 mph.This kid can change the way people think about white sprinters if he continues to develop.He will be even a bigger boost to our cause than Wariner.We need to prove that a white sprinter can go sub 10 and win medals in the Olympics & World Championships again.I truely believe that he has the ability to possibly someday break the world record.He is only a kid and his upside could possibly be incredible.Remember that whites on the average develop slower physically than blacks.I don't even think we have seen the tip of the iceburg yet!Edited by: white lightning

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I can't wait to watch these guys go at it this weekend.Craig Pickering will have to face both Nic Macrozonaris and Matic Osovnikar.While Pickering has been in better form thus far this season,we could see these other guys step it up a notch.How cool would it be to see all of these guys run in the 6.5 range on Saturday!Good luck to Craig.He is the talk of Europe right now!
smiley32.gif

albinosprint

Mentor
well Pickering made it to the final with the fast time, but Matic & Macro are out. Pickering is running very consistent and I would love to seem him run a 6.50 or better today. I really can't wait to see this kid outdoors.

albinosprint

Mentor
well so much for breaking 6.50. Gardener beat Pickering in the final 6.57 to 6.58. still a great time, but not the way we would have like it to go down. Craig runs every race between 6.55-6.59 he has got to be ready to peak soon.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I just hope that he doesn't burn himself out or peak too early in the season.He has raced just about every weekend for quite a while now.The body needs some time to rest.I really wish him luck in the Euro Indoor Champs.I want to see him win the gold.At his young age,that would really be a great feat.I also along with you guys can't wait to see him outdoors.I would love for him to be the first to go sub 10 in the 100!That would make my whole year.
smiley32.gif

devans

Mentor
I watched it live on T.V. and thought Craig had won. It wasn't until the slo-mo replay that I could see that gardener had edged it by a nipple. Craig ran a good race and Obikwelu was half a meter back and hardly gaining at all.

Try this.. [url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/sol/newsid_6370000/newsid_63720 00/6372039.stm?bw=bb&mp=wm[/url]

G

Colonel Callan said:
Good run by Pickering, I'm not surprised he won. A couple of weeks ago I wrote that he has a chance to 10 - if the field can stay level. He will not enjoy some of the political protection his darker competitors enjoy. Some of it because of politics, some of it because so many people are suspicious of any fast white guy. Look at some of what Wariner and Rock put up with in the 400. With Wariner winning the Olympics, and then he and Rock finishing 1-2 at the World Champs, the negative talk has subsided a bit. No real positive talk, but the negative pressed isn't really there in force. At the moment.

The fact that Obikwelu is saying the things he has shows he is concerned. Wariner's success has bothered many, many black sprinters and many of the gatekeepers also. There are some in track who are praying for Merrit to improve and take Wariner out - and wouldn't care if he were doped to the gills. Which he may be. Anyway, if Pickering begins to run 10.0 and faster consistently, it will be incredibly galling to a great many blacks. Good.

I'd have to disagree. I get the feelingblack sprinters don't even care.If they did, the speed guys wouldn't be concentrating on football rather than sprinting. The college-aged Europeans don't play football. Therefore, they have the time to train all fall, and compete all winter..

Clemson freshman Jacoby Ford only ran a handful of indoor races this year, and didn't really even focus on track until weeks agobecause he was busy being a benchwarmer on the football team.Yesterday he ran a 6.53 in the ACC Indoor Championship prelims, and a 6.52 today to take the title, and set the record. If he gave track his all, and trained in late '06,he'd be in the 6.4's right now. He's only 19.

His teammate Travis Padgett gave up football, andis nowtrack only.He ran a 10.00, 10.06, 10.13, and a 10.24 last year when he was 18.Alotta guys who play both sports end up hurting themselves tremendously on the track side.

PitBull

Guru
Looks like FSU is back. I think it shows how 'roided up Ford and Padgett are
for football. I also think its ridiculous to make the assertion that blacks
don't concentrate on track. You bet your life they do, especially the ones on
scholarship at many colleges, and definitely the pro ones. I remember many
times watching the track team at my major university practicing. They took
it very seriously. Their coaches sure did too.

I guess the premise is that the best athletes go to the high paying sports. I
would just play into it and say that the fastest white europeans play soccer.

How can you say that the blacks aren't prepared when they are "speed guys"
and spend all fall sprinting on a football field? What a load.

G

PitBull said:
Looks like FSU is back. I think it shows how 'roided up Ford and Padgett are for football.

Yea, yea, sure.. I know.They're "roided up". I know, I know. Sure.
smiley2.gif

I also think its ridiculous to make the assertion that blacks
don't concentrate on track. You bet your life they do, especially the ones on
scholarship at many colleges, and definitely the pro ones. I remember many
times watching the track team at my major university practicing. They took
it very seriously. Their coaches sure did too.

Not the football/track hybridguys during the fall.Football is King.Unless you're lucky enough to be the Maurice Greene, the Michael Johnson, the Ato Bolden, or otherupper-upper echelon sprinter,and landthe million dollar endorsements, the only money US sprinters make is the Team USA stipend. An NFL minimum contract would provide for a much better life.

I guess the premise is that the best athletes go to the high paying sports. I
would just play into it and say that the fastest white europeans play soccer.

How can you say that the blacks aren't prepared when they are "speed guys"
and spend all fall sprinting on a football field? What a load.

I see. So you believe football speed and track speed are one in the same? Running routes, returning kicks and punts, following blockers, shifting, seeking lanes, and hitting holesto you, is the equivalent of north/sout windsprints, starting block work, form, methodic legcadence, concentration, and baton work in the relays? You seriously think thew skill sets are identical?

Different sports require different skills. Bo Jackson had a 4.18 40, and Deion Sanders had a 4.23. They were the fastest players in the MLB when they played but they were awful, AWFUL base-stealers. Slower guys stole bases effortlessly because they required different skills and practice. JamesJett, Willie Gault, and Renaldo Nehemiahhad world class 4.1+ speed, but werebelow average football players. Nehemiah was mediocre. Keyshawn Johnson has 4.5-4.6 speed, and was a perennial 1,000 yard gainer in his prime.

Comparing elusive football speed, and north/south track speed is like comparing apples to grapefruits.

PitBull

Guru
You might want to familiarize yourself with the idea of the track and field
scholarship. Such scholarships exist at many major american universities,
and provide tuition, housing, coaching, medical care, etc. In other words,
the athletes are paid to play sports.

There is no event in track called the 40 yard dash.

Drugs are rampant in sports, especially football and track and field. I
assume most athletes are on them. I also assume that more black
athletes are on them, consistent with the fact that more blacks use drugs
of all kinds, period. I think blacks will also cheat more often to win.
Yeah, they're all clean, aren't they (wink, wink!).

As far as the "speed ain't all there is to catchin' a football", WTF? This is a
track forum, not a football forum. You're the one trying to bring the
football players in. And we both know why.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Mountaineer said:
Comparing elusive football speed, and north/south track speed is like comparing apples to grapefruits.

Gee that's an odd statement. The one over arching reason given for black athletic supremecy at all levels of sports including for some reason golf(?) is blacks supposed superiority in straight line speed. This is something that we dispute over and over on this site.

When white football players have slow 40 times then they are cast aside as too slow. When they have fast 40 times then they lack some other quality, hip flexibility or looseness or some such thing.

Now here is another guy that says any black failure at any level of track is merely due to some level of disinterest. Same friggin argument given for black fall off in boxing and probably also the excuse that the NHL's leading scorer is not black. They just don't care. Too busy playing football unlike those white guys in Europe that can concentrate on track. Sheesh! When does it ever stop?

If white guys ever start winning at 100 meters it will be credited to black disinterest, since they already proved they can run it mus be cause dey jus don care anymore
smiley5.gif

G

PitBull said:
You might want to familiarize yourself with the idea of the track and field scholarship. Such scholarships exist at many major american universities,
and provide tuition, housing, coaching, medical care, etc. In other words,
the athletes are paid to play sports.

I don't know if you're purposely trying to appear naive, but assuming you're not, I'm referring to their PROFESSIONAL post-college career. You do realize difference between being scholarship athlete and living off of the school's dime, and being a highly paid, cash in your hand,professional athlete, don't you?

There is no event in track called the 40 yard dash.

It's funny, but I don't recall ever saying it was anevent.Can you show me where I did?You're not throwing up a red herring smokescreen, are you?

Drugs are rampant in sports, especially football and track and field. I
assume most athletes are on them. I also assume that more black
athletes are on them, consistent with the fact that more blacks use drugs
of all kinds, period. I think blacks will also cheat more often to win.
Yeah, they're all clean, aren't they (wink, wink!).

You CHOOSE to assume more blacks are on them because it's the only way for you to stomach the stark reality of the sprinting numbers, and propagate your ignorant Caste-ian fantasies. You're using empty platitudes to sootheyour ego, while I'm just relayinglogic and facts.

As far as the "speed ain't all there is to catchin' a football", WTF? This is a
track forum, not a football forum. You're the one trying to bring the
football players in. And we both know why.

I don't know what you assume to be the reason, but I was responding to the ridiculous assertion that black sprinters feel "threatened" by anyone. You have to understand.. this board is driven on emotion. People here areobsessed to their core with race, fantasy, and revisionist history.Caste postersforce themselves to believethat non-white sharethis bizarre foaming-at-the-mouth obsession with athletic disparities that they do. Trust me.. they don't.

No one cares about indoor track in the US.It's the lowest entity on the totem pole. Europeans, however,eat, drink, sleep, and breathe track.It always been that way, it always will be that way. The REASON for that is, FOOTBALL. FOOTBALL is EVERYTHING in the US.

Indoor track is a non-event over here. The top speed guys are on the football field, and don't start training in earnest until the outdoor 100m season rolls around. If you want to believe world class speed guys in the US eschew their desire to excel on the football field to train for a sport that receives little to no attention and/or earning potential in the, be my guest.. but we both know that's not true.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Mountaineer said:
Caste postersforce themselves to believethat non-white sharethis bizarre foaming-at-the-mouth obsession with athletic disparities that they do. Trust me.. they don't.

Except for you of course. This is a troll-free board. Go share your black supremacist obsessions elsewhere.

freedom1

Mentor
Go to a boxing match that pits a white fighter against a black fighter. Watch the responses of the blacks in the audience to see if they don't care. You'll find they are EXTREMELY threatened by a competitive white athlete.

Damn, I remember playing basketball with them in gym class in high school. They were looking to chop my head off everytime I got the ball. And I was good, no slow white boy, I was quick and I had a black belt in slam dunk. You better frickin believe they're very insecure.

PitBull

Guru
I was referring to their college career. You're the guy who's talking about
college-age sprinters who play ball, not me. You said the black guys
weren't able to to concentrate on track like the white guys because they
had to play ball in the fall. Then you switch to professional athletes who
concentrate on track 24/7. You really need to pick and angle and stick
with it.

You're also the guy quoting 40 times, like it in some way it has anything
to do with the 60 and 100m. Then when I call you on it, you act like I'm
the one who doesn't know anything. I didn't bring it up.

I'm not assuming anything about drug use. The fact is that most
professional athletes in speed sports use 'em. There's just too much
money to be made. That includes your pet blacks. The statistics of
higher black drug use are well documented. I just assume it carries over
to sports. Unless you think sport attracts a higher caliber of black than
exists in the general population. You should see the crime threads here
for an answer to that one.

As far as my ego goes, I know full well there are some blacks who are
exceptional athletes. But I also know that there are some whites who are
exceptional athletes too. I just root for them because they are white and
on my team, as I choose to define it, whereas you hate them. As far as
the red herring that all the speed goes to the NFL, you'll have to talk to
Carl Lewis, Maurice Greene, Justin Gatlin, and others about that. It
appears that Gatlin only wants to play football now that his track career is
over due to DRUG USE.

You're last point about football is silly. There are many sports US fans
follow. Soccer is the big sport in Europe and around the world. Just look
at the salaries those players make. You are truly an ignoramus.

Blacks always pull for the other black. The only exception to the race rule
is black sack-huggers like you.

Alpha Male

Mentor
"I'm not assuming anything about drug use. The fact is that most
professional athletes in speed sports use 'em. There's just too much "

My track coach (former Jamaican sprinter) said all the guys over there use steroids and he has alluded to using them too. He's a good guy though and coaches everyone on a level playing field.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Here is a article where Craig addresses the future and on going sub 10! He is very confident in himself.He knows how hard the training will be to become the worlds fastest man but he looks forward to it.If he wins the European Indoor Championships this weekend,he will surpass V.Borzov has the youngest winner ever at only 20 years of age.Good luck to him.
smiley32.gif

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/6409973.stm

devans

Mentor
Pognon of France is the man to beat this weekend in Birmingham. I think Pognon might have too much for him at this stage in his career. Pognon, Pickering and Gardener will be the top three I think, but I'm not sure in what order.

G

Quarterfinals

2007-03-03_115719_round_1.PNG

Semifinals

2007-03-03_115749_round_2.PNG

Gardner, Pickering, and Pognon are doing a good job pushing others to their personal and season bests.A little surprised at Blum, though. I know he must be disappointed running so far below his 6.59 of a few weeks ago, and missing the finals.

Final tomorrow at 4:20.. 10:20AM EST

Freedom

Mentor
bigman wrote, "He talks alot, something Borzov never did."
Did Borzov know much English? Are Russians generally reserved in sports? I think Russian athletes don't usually talk much unless they've spent a lot of time in the US.