Craig Pickering

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Very bad race. Don't know what to say. It could have been worse but to lose to Sim is unacceptable. How does he cycle like that? Random thoughts. Anger. Disapointment. Slightly depressed but will bounce back. It's not over yet. Only the first race of the year. Saving a little, something for Sim and the rest! Don't want to show all the cards in the deck just yet.
smiley2.gif

Just know that when it is time to put on a show, and it's for all the marbles, this mate will bring it with a passion and fire to light up the track. It may sound crazy but revenge the other way is coming soon. Watch the Pickering Race at the under 23 Champs where he wins 10.10 to 10.14. About to change very soon. NO MORE LOSING!Edited by: white lightning

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Just one more thing. For those of you who haven't seen the race. Terrible start like normal for 2009 but it was also compounded by drifting sideways into another lane. Could have been disqualified possibly. Terrible coordination but there is one bright side. The top speed is there. A little longer and the race would have been won with out a doubt in my mind. Similar to chasing down Kim Collins indoors earlier although that was a victory. More to come. Stay tuned and don't give up hope guys!
smiley20.gif

StarWars

Mentor
white lightning said:
Here is the Power of Ten Profile Page to give you guys an idea of where the times should be at early to late in the season over the last several years.

http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=20772
That is a lot of shiny medals! Too bad he fell asleep in Torino, because those were the sickest medals I've ever seen. The one Wissman had made me want to go pro in track alone.

Dwain Chaimbers ran a 10.06 as expected. Dasaolu only ran a 10.25 on the same day, though. He is no competition for Craig.

Craig's competition is:
1.Dwain Chaimbers
2.Marlon Devonish
3.Simeon Williamson
4.Tyrone Edgar
5.James Dasaolu
6.Leon Baptiste

He needs to beat Williamson.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
To jacknyc and any other doubters. I don't know how else to convince you or anyone else other than to tell you that Craig's top speed is probably top 5 - 10 in the whole world. Yes the complete race hasn't come together as of yet. It would have been an eye opener last weekend if not for the stumbling out of the blocks. It can happen you know. Running in your own lane also helps to cut down your time and keep you from getting disqualified. If almost everything went wrong except for the starting blocks slipping and the clock still said 10.16, I will take it. It was his first race over 100. Damn people. Give it a little time. 22 years of age and running consitantly faster than any white sprinter on the planet with or with out wind!

The goal is to be the fastest sprinter. Not the fastest white sprinter and you will see some new personal bests this year. It's June 1st. Damn it. People give up so quickly and write off someones career like it is over when it hasn't even started. Sorry for venting but I'm pissed off. Have some hope people!

9..................................9........................8....by Berlin!!!!!!!!!!!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
For anyone still interested in seeing how slow Craig runs and how bad his form is. This Saturday in Geneva going against the rival Dwain Chambers in Switzerland at the 2009 Athletica Meeting. Personally, I have never seen an athlete who is critisized as much. It baffles me. Not trying to pick on jacknyc or anyone else but making a point. I just don't get the number of people who claim to know more about what can an cannot happen on the track.

Do you guys ever wonder if maybe he reads this stuff? We can't even support him here at Caste! What is this world coming to. Whites are even getting bashed on a white site because they haven't acheived the magical sub 10 yet! What a joke!

Being a white professional sprinter is like being on an island with no friends or fans along side you for the most part. You are in a sea of sharks. It is so hard for the average fan to know how tough mentally you have to be to stand up to the criticism and the constant shouts of, "why even try"? It's just not possible. This just makes my blood boil.

I am asking you guys to please support this kid. Hell Shirvo got support for almost a decade. I hope it's not too much to ask for at least 3 years for Craig leading up to London. People already have written off Wariner and they are mistaken. They will be just as wrong writing off you know who! Oh well. I guess that is how it goes. Maybe I need some time away. I never thought so many would doubt after one average season.

albinosprint

Mentor
the black kids used to call me Tarzan because I was a white boy in the black man's world. the pressure on me was nut. I was constantly excused of taking steroid, but at 6' 165lbs it was pretty obvious I wasn't. so I felt like all the eyes were on me all the time, I couldn't even imagine what Pickering feels. I couldn't handle that pressure. I give the kid tons of credit for getting to where he is. I feel it's that the pressure that has kept him where he is. if Craig can handle the pressure and just correct some of his form the ten barrier is broken. he has got what it take and time is on his side. I'm confident he will do it. he needs to have a PR this year if only 100th of a second. then he needs to dip below 10.10 in 2010. I would like to see him drop a low 9.9 at the end of 2011 so his confidence is there for the London games. no injuries and the right state of mind and he will do.

Pierce

StarWars said:
white lightning said:
Here is the Power of Ten Profile Page to give you guys an idea of where the times should be at early to late in the season over the last several years.

http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=20772
That is a lot of shiny medals! Too bad he fell asleep in Torino, because those were the sickest medals I've ever seen. The one Wissman had made me want to go pro in track alone.

Dwain Chaimbers ran a 10.06 as expected. Dasaolu only ran a 10.25 on the same day, though. He is no competition for Craig.

Craig's competition is:

1.Dwain Chaimbers

2.Marlon Devonish

3.Simeon Williamson

4.Tyrone Edgar

5.James Dasaolu

6.Leon Baptiste

He needs to beat Williamson.

I would also throw in Gerald Phiri, who has a 10.13, and Harry Aikines-Aryeety, who has a 10.10 with the wind, and 10.17 against. Both of their PB's are faster than Craig, and they're only 20 years old.

Craig should make the relay pool, but with Chambers now in the mix, I'll be surprised if he makes the individual 100m team in Berlin.

StarWars

Mentor
I have never been more confident in Craig then now. I truly mean that, and am not just saying it. Ever since I saw him run down Kim Collins to get a 6.58 I knew he could be a sub 10 sprinter. Before that, I still thought he would. Right now Craig is getting the least support than he has ever gotten. He has a top speed just as fast as a world record setting Asafa Powell. Did everybody forget how he lost zero ground to that cycling human excuse for a steroid needle with legs in Beijing? He may have even gained ground. To bad he left too early.

Now Craig's spirit will be tested more than ever before. Steroids are rampant in Great Britain. Williamson, Edgar, and Dasaolu are obviously cycling. Chaimbers has a history of it, and Devonish is somehow faster than he's ever been at 30 or more years old.

In this test of spirit Craig will prevail. He is going to rise from the ashes like a phoenix. Just watch his races next Saturday. If the sun is good and the wind is behind him he will get a new PB. In the next couple of weeks he will go sub 10.10, I have no doubt. With the pressure of GB's sprinters he will do it.

Dwain Chaimbers10.06
Simeon Williamson 10.09
Marlon Devonish10.11
Gerald Phiri10.13
James Dasaolu10.15
Tyrone Edgar10.19

I have a feeling that Craig will go sub 10 before Berlin. He beat Marcus Brunson and lost to Simeon barely on a bad race on a slow track.

Craig can do it. If anybody can, it is him.Edited by: StarWars

Kali

Gerald Phiri is not British despite what it says on some sites. He represents Zambia.

The only comparison that can be made is when they are all in the same race. Tyrone Edgar had much better times than Craig last year but could not beat him head to head.

The trials for the World champs will be close but Craig should make the top 3 & get selected

StarWars

Mentor
Craig will win the European U23 championships in under 10.10. He has a PR of 10.14 at this meet in July of 2007, and will PR again in 2009. He will shut up all the naysayers here.

Kali you make a good point. Craig's consistency is key because either Devonish or Williamson are bound to have a bad day at the trials.

He will be under 10.10 this year, just as he says.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Ok guys. I just have a couple of questions. First off, I'm glad at least a couple of fans still exist. How many sprinters do you know who have peaked at only 22 years of age? Also, how many would have peaked and broken their personal best time if they were running injured most of the year? For some one to still give their best effort is to be adimired in my opinion. The times still were descent late summer as they showed being right close to the year 2007 before even hurt.

So now let me ask you guys this. Who other than Shirvington has run more times in the last 5 years or so in the sub 10.20 range? What white sprinter can compare with the consistancy and still get very litte support? I get so tired of using white sprinter because I would rather have it be young sprinter. I just want you guys to realize that most of the guys we talk about are lucky to have 1 good race a year. Maybe 2 in the range that Craig can run on a normal basis.

So why would anyone think that he has peaked. When Fabio Cerutti, Jared Connaugton, Christian Blum, Tobias Unger, or any other guy can run multiple sub 10.20's, then maybe they will be close. They cannot say that yet. This does not keep me from rooting for them. It's just that usually to go sub 10, you have to show consistant form down around the 10.10 range at the least. The only one close is you know who!

Again, not to root against the other guys. The more the merrier. It is a stupid number that is talked about like if it is a trip to Mars. Ten seconds will be broken and it will go down in the near future. Could I be wrong? It's possible but unlikely despite all of the odds stacked against it happening.

As I've said a few times:

You have to believe it to acheive it.

If you don't believe, then you won't succeed!

For most sprinters, it all started with a dream as a kid.

One last thing. In England, it seems to be like alot of the guys who do it the right way are getting screwed. Two guys to lose funding will Andy Turner and the guy with bad form in the 100! Yeah that would be Pickering. Andy got the worse of it and yet he is Europes leading 110 high hurdler. The guys that are funding are getting killed by Turner. All because Great Britain/UK Athletics are trimming their budget. You talk about unfair. Then on top of that the fans tend to root for the cheats. It's enough to drive a guy insane. It's also a reason why some guys eventually give up and start using.

Tell me the world is fair. So in the end, can we just support our athletes please? I don't think that is too much to ask.Edited by: white lightning

waterbed

Mentor
white lightning said:
Ok guys. I just have a couple of questions. First off, I'm glad at least a couple of fans still exist. How many sprinters do you know who have peaked at only 22 years of age? Also, how many would have peaked and broken their personal best time if they were running injured most of the year? For some one to still give their best effort is to be adimired in my opinion. The times still were descent late summer as they showed being right close to the year 2007 before even hurt.

So now let me ask you guys this. Who other than Shirvington has run more times in the last 5 years or so in the sub 10.20 range? What white sprinter can compare with the consistancy and still get very litte support? I get so tired of using white sprinter because I would rather have it be young sprinter. I just want you guys to realize that most of the guys we talk about are lucky to have 1 good race a year. Maybe 2 in the range that Craig can run on a normal basis.

So why would anyone think that he has peaked. When Fabio Cerutti, Jared Connaugton, Christian Blum, Tobias Unger, or any other guy can run multiple sub 10.20's, then maybe they will be close. They cannot say that yet. This does not keep me from rooting for them. It's just that usually to go sub 10, you have to show consistant form down around the 10.10 range at the least. The only one close is you know who!

Again, not to root against the other guys. The more the merrier. It is a stupid number that is talked about like if it is a trip to Mars. Ten seconds will be broken and it will go down in the near future. Could I be wrong? It's possible but unlikely despite all of the odds stacked against it happening.

As I've said a few times:

You have to believe it to acheive it.

If you don't believe, then you won't succeed!

For most sprinters, it all started with a dream as a kid.

One last thing. In England, it seems to be like alot of the guys who do it the right way are getting screwed. Two guys to lose funding will Andy Turner and the guy with bad form in the 100! Yeah that would be Pickering. Andy got the worse of it and yet he is Europes leading 110 high hurdler. The guys that are funding are getting killed by Turner. All because Great Britain/UK Athletics are trimming their budget. You talk about unfair. Then on top of that the fans tend to root for the cheats. It's enough to drive a guy insane. It's also a reason why some guys eventually give up and start using.

Tell me the world is fair. So in the end, can we just support our athletes please? I don't think that is too much to ask.

waterbed

Mentor
I also still believe in Craig Pickering.I just do hope for more more more.Also the expectations where high because he runned already 10.22 at 19?.his arm swing you can also see from a positive side, that he is capable of running faster.also I do remember that he runned like 2 years ago a 10.27 or something into a very big wind(-3.5?)why wouldn't he be able to do the same at least one again time with a good wind...

StarWars

Mentor
Thatt article makes a good point towards the end. Now that Craig has finished his studies, there is surely no doubt he will set a new PR, and in my apinion a HUGE PR.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
No more school for an excercise fanatic is a dangerous combination. Could be good or bad. You never want to overtrain and either get hurt or just burn out physically where there is nothing left for race day. It will be a fine balance but that's what the coach is for. The arm swing will stay for this season. If the times continue to stay in neutral or go backwards, then it will be addressed. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It may sound crazy but the times are there in practice.

Let's hope for some nice weather this weekend. It's too bad the race isn't some where a little warmer but the country is outstanding. The people, the culture, the food, and the scenery. Both nature and the endless sea of blondes!
smiley2.gif

Just two more days. I feel a new p.b. We shall see.

albinosprint

Mentor
no school is a good thing. less on the mind and more time to rest. we will definitely see a PR from CP this season.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Also he took real courses. So he actually had to study and stay alert in class. It really amazes that guys like Chad Henning could study and play D1 football(with all of footballs physical demands).

white is right

Hall of Famer
Neither have proven that they can run rounds. Craig has. In a one off race they can beat the form that Craig has shown. But with rounds my money is still on Craig. Edited by: white is right

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
This is a bit off topic, but do you think if Craig were an American kid, upon entering high school, he would have been slotted into playing fullback for his school's football team instead of joining track as a sprinter?

He seems like he could be a decent running back.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I don't think he has the build to play running back at the collegiate level. So if his coach had a half a brain he would have had him playing wideout, cornerback and special teams as a kickoff or punt returner. Of course if his heart desired he would be a tailback on any team short of an elite back starting(odds are .00001).Edited by: white is right

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
white is right said:
Neither have proven that they can run rounds. Craig has. In a one off race they can beat the form that Craig has shown. But with rounds my money is still on Craig.

who are you talking about?

StarWars

Mentor
He is ripped, he could be a runningback. Have you see any close ups of Craig's legs? Probably 8 or 9% bodyfat, 185 lbs hard muscle, and a 4.1 40. Sooo much force...

white lightning

Hall of Famer
How many of you guys wish you were going to be at the track meet Saturday? To see both Pickering and Lemaitre in the same meet at the 100 & 200 meters. Worth the price of a ticket. Should be a special day. Most of our guys have had bad luck with the wind and all but this Saturday might finally work out. I hope so. I'm tired of the bad conditions. I can smell a 10.11 time if mother nature cooperates.

I will predict a 20.48 for Lemaitre! One more day till we hit the track.

The summer has just begun and this Saturday the race will be won. The only one that scares me this weekend is Chambers. It will be hard to beat him but never say never!