Craig Pickering

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The provisionsal start lists shows Pickering and others only because they are an alternate in case of an injury. He is only running the relay. I wish this could change but he didn't run like he needed to this year. No one is more depressed about this than Craig. It's just not the same at this stage of his career to be sitting on the side watching. This will create a fire that will push him to greater height. Sometimes you have to fail before you can succeed. Craig will be back!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I know it is two weeks away but Craig will have one last shot at a big time in front of the home crowd. I'm sure he wants a little payback for being left off the team. We will see what happens. Gay and Powell will be there. There will also be a few more names added in the next week or two. One last chance at a new p.b. for Craig.

Aviva British Grand Prix
100 METRES (M) - f 1
Event Date: 31/08/2009 Start Time: 1704 Event No: 23
Name PB SB Status
Harry Aikines Aryeetey (GBR) 10.10 10.15 Confirmed
Marc Burns (TRI) 9.96 10.00 Confirmed
Walter Dix (USA) 9.91 10.00 Confirmed
Tyrone Edgar (GBR) 10.06 10.09 Confirmed
Rikki Fifton (GBR) 10.16 10.25 Confirmed
Mario Forsythe (JAM) 10.16 10.16 Confirmed
Tyson Gay (USA) 9.77 9.77 Confirmed
Mark Jelks (USA) 9.99 10.04 Confirmed
Churandy Martina (AHO) 9.93 9.97 Confirmed
Travis Padgett (USA) 9.89 10.00 Confirmed
Craig Pickering (GBR) 10.14 10.22 Confirmed
Ivory Williams (USA) 9.93 9.93 Confirmed
Simeon Williamson (GBR) 10.03 10.05 Confirmed

Print

albinosprint

Mentor
a PB is much needed to get Picks head right. not going to the Worlds must have really f-ed him up. He needs a PB and to beat the rest of the UK sprinters. Edited by: albinosprint

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm going to repost this interview with Craig from a while back. His goals were to go 10.05-10.10 this season He obviously has not done this other than the one wind aided race. I again am hoping that he will listen and switch to another head coach. Malcom Arnold is a nice guy and he does know some things but Craig is stuck in neutral. Actually you could say he has went slightly backwards in his progression. He needs to make a move before the winter time. If he does stay with Arnold, I hope they at least bring in another assistant coach to give a different perspective on things.

Most of all, it is time to work on the form. He has so much power as I've said countless times before. He has the physical talent to run multiple sub tens. He just needs to fix some things. A great coach would help him to accomplish this. He also should focus on relaxing and being mentally strong. The bottom line is that these are all minor things. If he does run indoors, he should limit it to a few races. Outdoors is where the money and fame is! Below is the link to the interview. Good luck Craig.

http://roadto2012.wordpress.com/interviews/craigpickering/Edited by: white lightning

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
why didn't Craig runon Great Britain's 4x100 relay team in their qualifying heat?

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Craig was only one of 6 guys picked for a possible relay spot. He was on the B Relay Squad most of the year so they decided to keep him off the A Team. Nothing new and it doesn't suprise me. He should change his situation he is in. His career is stuck in neutral and it is up to him to get a different coach and to work on fixing his form. I know it's sounds crazy, but he might even want to consider running for a different country where he will have more support. It's an ugly situation over there.

He needs to run better or his career in England will be in trouble. Even when Devonish and Chambers retire, there are still at least 3-5 guys who will challenge him. If he doesn't improve, it will be another long season. Let's hope he gets things worked out for next season. Still hoping he will get a p.b. some how in 2 weeks!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Craig is running tommorow in the 100 meters. It will be at the England vs Ireland vs Scottland Meet. Craig Pickering is captain of the G.B. Team. He is not happy with them not picking him for the relay. He says he will prove to them that they were wrong. Let's hope for a good result with the really big meet next weekend in England. It's a good tuneup to get ready for that. He should win tommorow with very little competition. So the time may not be as fast as next weekend. We shall see. Good luck to Craig. It's been a really rough year for him.

albinosprint

Mentor
good luck to craig!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Craig is still undefeated in Scottland. He won the race in a stadium record time of 10.27 with a positive wind of 1.4 mph. I had a feeling it would be an average time as he had no competition. Another win non the less. Craig will have to run alot faster next weekend if he is to even be competetive in England. I'm sure that will probably be his last race of the year. Good luck next weekend Craig.

albinosprint

Mentor
another wins is great. I really hope this kids wins next week and maybe sets a PB. it's been a long season both mentally and physically, but I know he can do it!

freedom1

Mentor
Great seeing him end the season on a strong note. He's still very dangerous. I hope he goes to American or Australia to train. He needs to get out of those cold British conditions.

devans

Mentor
This has been one of the coldest summers I can remember in the UK. I live in North West England and it is 16C degrees at the moment and it is early afternoon. (I know you use Fahrenheit in the U.S. - think 16C is the low sixties). Average max temps last few weeks have been in the 17 - 19C range. Don't know if it is the weather, but Craigs progression seems to have stalled and he needs to do something differently.
I believe the weather in Jamaica is quite conducive to sprinting.
smiley1.gif

Edited by: devans

freedom1

Mentor
Well, if he went to Jamaica and started eating those same yams as Bolt, he'd be turning in 9.7s. Of course we know here that he has the wrong complexion for that.

gulf177

Does Craig not train overseas in the winter? That really surprises me - I thought pretty much all the elite UK sprinters went to Australia/South Africa/US. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be running on tracks here in England in January.....it's hard enough to get out of the front door!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
No he stays in England unlike most of the other top guys. Simeon Williamson trained in Jamaica last year. I belive Edgar, Devonish and a few others were in the states. Craig needs to train in a different country. It would be great for him. He needs a new coach in my opinion. I tried to give Malcom Arnold the benefit of the doubt but it's time for a change. Craig races tommorow in England. It is the last major meet of the year in England. I will be watching but I'm not going to get my hopes high. It's been a long year and he needs to just rest soon.

Craig has to change some things. He is not progressing like he should be. His last good season was 2007 so it's time for a change. Good luck to him tommorow. Then hopefully a long rest, and a new game plan for next year. I agree with most on the board that he should limit his indoor runs and concentrate on outdoors. He has to get better speed endurance. Please run some 200's! It will only help his main event. The last and most important thing is to fix his form. His arm swing has to go! I hope he is listening. He can still be a star with a few adjustments!Edited by: white lightning

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
unless i'm recalling it incorrectly, didn't Pickering have his funding cut last year?

how much of Craig's inability to travel outside England to train comes from his lack of money?

gulf177

That's bizarre. I mean, up till this season he's been faster and ranked higher than Edgar and Devonish. How does it work - do they train at universities in the US? Is it a case of the US universities choosing who they want, and not selecting Craig for caste reasons? White lightning, you seem pretty clued up about all of this, do you know how the system works?

Btw wasn't Malcolm Arnold Linford Christie's coach back in the day? Do the other British guys train under Malcolm Arnold? I guess not if they go abroad and Craig stays in the UK. I'd love to know more of the details of how all of this works....

white is right

Hall of Famer
devans said:
This has been one of the coldest summers I can remember in the UK. I live in North West England and it is 16C degrees at the moment and it is early afternoon. (I know you use Fahrenheit in the U.S. - think 16C is the low sixties). Average max temps last few weeks have been in the 17 - 19C range. Don't know if it is the weather, but Craigs progression seems to have stalled and he needs to do something differently.I believe the weather in Jamaica is quite conducive to sprinting.
smiley1.gif
The only thing cold in Jamaica are the needles in the athletes fridges....
smiley2.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Yes his funding was reduced like alot of other athletes. Even Andy Turners was cut and he is by far their best hurdler. He had an incredible year until he was hurt right before the World Champs.

Just to show how little respect Craig is getting, he will not even be in the A Final. He will have to run in the B Final. Even T.Edgar and Harry are in the A 100 Final. On the bright side, Craig usually runs good when there is very little pressure. He might just pop a seasons best but I know he is angry for not being in the main race.

Richard Kilty who has had a great season will get to go up against Craig tommorow in the B Race. I know he has to be so pumped up to race Craig and MLF. I'm hoping that Kilty can improve his p.b. of 10.43 as well. He is very young and he has good potential. He has a 20.83 p.b. in the 200 meters. Kilty is an admitted fast food guy and he is still fast as hell. If he can get his diet right, and add some size, he will have some serious potential in the next several years. He is just a kid and he has a ton of upside to go.

Good luck to Craig and Richard tommorow.

I'm also hoping to see Rutherford and Tomlinson have a great battle in the long jump.

albinosprint

Mentor
white lightning,

have I told you I added you to my christmas card list? thanks bro!

gulf177

I didn't actually see the B race, but was following it via BBC text. Here's the complete text:

"1615: It's the men's B 100m final. Devonish returns to the track half an hour after his 200m race. Good effort. Craig Pickering who didn't even get a run in Berlin will be like a bull in a china shop or a stable or something implying caged tiger syndrome. A false start.

1619: Craig Pickering puts in a fabulous finish to win the 100m B race. That's caged tigers for you. Jamaican Mario Forsythe was leading that until the final 20 metres. Pickering was straining every inch of his skin there and powers his way home in 10.32. Top effort. Devonish in third in 10.49.

Craig Pickering after winning the B race (but also didn't run in Berlin): "I'm happy with that. I would like to have been selected in the relay in the worlds so I'm quite angry. They told us two days before but they got a bronze medal. I'd like to think I was good enough to have been in the team. I have to just prove everybody wrong. I always seem to run quite well when the conditions aren't good."
Has Craig got a point? Should he have been in the worlds relay team?"

Good to see Craig ending the season with a fast-finishing win. Given that it was raining, it was the last race of the season, and they were on a false start, 10.32 for the win isn't too bad.

I was even more pleased by the interview above. Pickering seems to have been too much of a quiet nice guy over the years (remember the documentary that followed him and a couple of the other British sprinters?) Blacks are generally pretty loud-mouthed and arrogant at the best of times, and it's clear they don't want a white guy beating them (especially Williamson). If Craig's going to survive in that environment he needs to get angry, get a hard-headed "f**k you" attitude, and force them to respect him by beating them!

He also makes a good point about the relay - the British 4x100 team was Williamson, Edgar, AA and Devonish. Fair enough,Williamson and AA beat him in the trials, but Craig beat AA, and Devonish isn't even a 100m runner (Devonish finished behind Craig in 10.49 today). So what the hell was up with that? If it was swimming, and the only black guy was left out of the relay despite being faster than two others, the media and black organisations would be crying racism, of course.

Btw 100m A race coming up - again, Aikines Areetey is in the A race while Craig was only in the B race, despite Craig beating him at the trials. It's like the authorities are writing off Craig and boosting AA, despite Craig only being 22 and outperforming AA. Just like they tried to do with Ladejo against Roger Black in the 400 a few years ago, as I wrote about earlier. This sh*t really irritates me. But again, like Black, it seems Craig is getting angry, and that's a good thing.

Btw in theA race, Tyson Gay won in 10.16, on a wet track but not raining, miles ahead of everyone else. I didn't get the times of the other Brits running in the race, but they finished behind Kim Collins, who was second in 10.44. So Craig basically finished second to Gay, and outperformed all the other Brits. A good day. Keep that anger, Craig, and come out fighting for the Euros next year!

albinosprint

Mentor
he ran the 2nd fastest time out of both heats and his race was into a 2.4 wind. this kid can't get a break. the link I watched didn't even show the race, no respect! he definitely stuck to the UK Athletics!