Craig Pickering

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Pickering is one of a few selected athletes picked by England to be the greatest future Olympic Hopes and he has received additional funding for training.They really belive that this kid can win medals in the 100 meters in the years to come.Remember that the Olympics in 2012 will be hosted by London.Craig Pickering will only be 26 years of age.Keep up the hard training Craig and the times & medals will come!What a thrill it would be to see him win a gold medal as the fastest man in the world in front of his home country.
smiley32.gif

smfriel

erm if u want to kno his height and weight just ask me - im his mate - went to skool wif him and recently got in touch with him :)

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
smfriel said:
erm if u want to kno his height and weight just ask me - im his mate - went to skool wif him and recently got in touch with him :)

Sure! What is his height and weight?

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Craig Pickering raced today in England and finished 2nd twice in the 100 meters semi-finals and the finals.Jason Gardner beat him for 1st place.They are now training partners.This is good news because Gardner has been one of Englands best sprinters over the last decade.Craig later on raced a couple of 60 meter races and finished with a new personal best of 6.74!He is off to a good start in his first full indoor season as a senior going against the big boys.He is still only 19 years of age!Keep up the hard work Craig!
smiley32.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Craig Pickering broke a new personal best a few days ago in a meet in England.He ran a Milton Keynes Record of 6.71 in the semifinals in the 60.Unfortunatley,he got a real bad cramp and had to pull out of the finals.Nothing major,he will be fine.Remember,this kid is only 19 and already getting into the 6.6 range in the 60 and he already has a p.b. of 10.22 in the 100 meters!He is my pick to medal in 2012.I would love to see him make an impact even sooner like in 2008 in China.He could end up being the new Shirvo.Keep an eye on this kid!
smiley1.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
This weekend in England,there is a huge indoor track meet.There are some big names from all around the globe including 3 sprinters we are keeping an eye on.Craig Pickering,Morne Nagel and Nic Macrozonaris will all be in the 60 meters including a few other white sprinters.It should be a heavily contested race with very fast times.J.Gardner would have to be the favorite but don't count out any one of these guys.Hopefully,Craig can set another personal best!
smiley32.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Macrozonaris didn't race for some reason.Nagel made the finals but finished in last place.He got a horrible start and never recovered.Craig Pickering failed to make the finals while running a 6.78 in his heat.He has been having some pain in his heels and it is effecting his performances.He should hopefully be back into better form soon.F.Mayola won the 60 finals over Gardner.

There are no SA 16 olds listed as ever having run 10.34 in the 100
meters. Let us see if that can draw the troll out.

There are a higher percentage of blacks with the make up to be sprinters,
but there are whites with the make up and ability, they simply aren't
competing due to brainwashing or disinterest.

As to the whites starting out faster and so on, according to the troll, not
true. Blacks have a higher percentage of faster individuals in sprints from
a very early age. The white outliers are not encouraged as kids hit HS,
much of it due to brainwashing a la the NFL's caste system, etc. What
"McBride" did was take an article written by a black from GB regarding his
experiences as a 400 meter runner. The article just mentioned how some
white guys stopped competing, and the author wondered if they just
didn't have as much potential as blacks. The kid from GB must be galled
with Wariner, Rock, Benjamin and other whites as the dominant forces in
a sprint event. The post in this thread had the author drop in some off
handed insults about whites getting slower and fatter. The post was
probably written by some PC mamaluke trying to kiss tail with a soc
professor or some idiot from Hillel House doing what he's been taught to
do.

With the current pool of white sprinters in the 100 meters being so small
it's tough to get that breakthrough. However, once one guy gets through
10 and consistently does well, consistently places and wins, you will see
more whites do so. In the past, the PC forces, the white haters, were able
to curtail anything like this by attacking or ignoring successful whites in
'black events'. With the internet - and satellite/cable TV forced to fill in
air time - it's hard to hide some successes. Borzov received negative
press, and was ignored throughout his peak years by the media, the only
time he received notable press what at the Olympics in '72 when he won
the double. Yet he had been the world's top 100 meter man for quite
awhile. Just as Wariner is having some effect, media be damned, so will a
white guy who runs under 10 seconds regularly. I don't think Macro and
a few of the current names will be the guy. I think it will be a "new kid",
and I don't think it's more than 1 - 3 years off at most.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I don't think Pickering will make it. And I know it's not brainwashing, Brits unlike Americans are competitors. He just has a weird physique for a sprinter. His legs look too short and he looks out of proportion. If Klech has 100 speed I would sooner say he would make it as he has better proportions.....

Edited by: white is right

devans

Mentor
Speaking as a Brit (and one with short legs!) it doesn't matter how long your legs are if you cross the line first. I think the previous post by "white is right" is an example of many U.S. sports coaches over attention to the measuring tape and weighing scale. It's the performance, and the rsults, that matter. Don't write him off yet.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Great point devans.Craig is only 19 years old and has not even come close to peaking yet.I see him as still having alot of upside and that is why he is in the best sprinting training programs out there.Craig trains along side Jason Gardner who is almost untouchable over 60 meters.I think when all is said and done,Pickering has as good a chance as any white sprinter out there to go sub 10 first.I just wish he would run a few more 200 meters races to improve his speed endurance.He could also trim his body fat down just a little bit more.Every hundreth of a second counts to be in the elite category.I expect him to run in the 10.15-10.20 range at some point this season.Good luck to him!
smiley32.gif

Kali

I happen to know Craig quite well and would like to point out a few truths about him in reply to this discussion thread. I happen to know that he has never been particularly keen on the indoor circuit and much prefers 100m to 60m. However as this is his first year after moving up to the senior ranks then there has been no pressure or expectation on him re his performance and is part of a well planned transitional period into the senior ranks. It was felt to be good expereince to do a full indoor season which he did and didn't do too badly out of it either! He only ran once indoors last year remember!

I agree with the point about more 200m as historically Craig has had some pelvic/back problems from bend running so has tended to concentrate on the 100m. Hopefully with a full winter of sound strength and conditioning behind him he will in a better positiion to compete more over this distance in the next few years.

I also happen to know that he has made great improvements re his body fat ratio and that he fully realises the implications of this for an elite athlete. Unfortunately the photos posted on this site do not show Craig in his best light. However if you met him in everyday mode you would realise that he is tall and does not have particularly short legs.

Furthermore Craig is dedicated and extremely focussed but everything is moving towards a longer term goal. Much is made of the failure of athletes to move from junior to senior ranks and Craig intends to prove otherwise. He has plenty of time to perfect technique and work towards peaking some years hence, and I'm sure he has the necessary commitment to carry on improving.

Like White Lightening I too think the season ahead should be good for Craig....on the way to greater things!!!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the great info Kali and welcome to the board?How do you know Craig?I'm assuming you guys grew up or go to school together.Tell him that he is welcome here anytime he wants.There are no other websites dedicated to the white athlete in his struggle for acceptance.Especiall in certain sports like sprinting,boxing,football and basketball.Wariner suceeded and so can Pickering!Good luck to him outdoors this season.
smiley32.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm really excited for this summer season in track.Craig Pickering has a chance to become one of the new stars in the UK.Although fighting through injuries,and not having a full indoor season,Pickering has ran in the 6.7 range in the 60 around 5 times this year.He is shaping up to have another big year outdoors.His increased 60 meter speed can only help him over the longer distance.I would almost guarantee that he will easily eclipse the 10.22 by early to mid summer.I see him getting into the 10.15 range if healthy as I've said before.He is going to go sub 10 by 2008.You guys can hold me to that but I believe it!He has 3 outdoor seasons to do it and I have total confidence in this kid!Keep up the great sprinting and just work,work,work until you hit your dreams!We are pulling for you here at Caste.
smiley20.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Craig will open up his outdoor season finally on Sunday,May 21st in Louronborough,England.He should face some good competition.He needs to get some good races under his belt to help him prepare for the World Junior Championships to be held in China later this summer.I'm curious to see what kind of time he will open up with!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Craig opened up his season today with a very solid 10.43 in England.That is very impressive for his first race.I see him having a really big summer.He just needs to stay focused and train like an animal locked in a cage.He is still my pick to be one of Englands best sprinters for the next 2 Olympics and he will go above and beyond what A.Wells did in my opinion.Keep up the great sprinting Craig and keep your head up.Better days are coming and you will help change peoples perceptions!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
According to BBC Sport,Craig was actually clocked at a 10.30 for his first race today.He finished 2nd by 1/100th of a second.This is even better.What an opening race.He is already in the 10.2 range and this race was run on a very wet track in bad conditions into a slight headwind!Way to go Pickering!!Here is a link to the article.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/5002734.stmEdited by: white lightning

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
IF Pickering came in 2nd in 10.30, that would be very encouraging!
However, if his time was 10.43, I would be much more cautious with predictions for his season.
I've read on 5 different news services that said he ran a 10.43. It's neither good nor bad...we'll have to see if he gets any faster in the next month.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I agree with you.He did run a 10.43 but it was on a wet track into a headwind.He got a horrible start and closed fast after that but we all know that in the 100,you can't usually make up too much ground.There just isn't enough time.I'm sorry jacknyc,I read on two or three other sites about him running a 10.30 and then saw the other articles with the correct time as you stated.It's weird to see a few articles have the wrong time.To be 100% sure I went to the gbap.co.ukwebsite.Craig Pickering actually posts on there as do the other young and up & coming sprinters.That's how I finally confirmed the 10.4 time.Again,sorry for the mix up on this race.

As for Pickering and his time,remember the conditions were horrible.He had a bad start and it was his first race.I wouldn't put too much stock into just one race.It is still very early but I wouldn't be suprised to see him have a great summer.What is exciting is how many great young sprinters they have over there.It will help to keep some of the pressure off of Craig and force him to train his ass off to stay at the top.Remember,he is only 19 and has many good years ahead of him.I will be the first to admit if I am wrong about him but we will need a decade before that is decided.Edited by: white lightning

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a fewpics of Craig that are better than the one posted earlier in this thread:

0,11410,4854-0-93535-0-custom186208,00.jpg

05mayorcraig.jpg

_41341787_pickering_203x270.jpg

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Hey WL,
No sweat. The BBC is supposed to be the be-all, end-all news authority.
In any case, I agree you can't put much stock into his 1st race of the season in bad weather. It's also good that he has some good, young competition to keep him on his toes. I also think that there is a lot less pressure on a white sprinter in Britain, then there would be in the States.
Let's keep our fingers crossed and see how he does.

devans

Mentor
Pickering-Jumping-1%20Medium.jpg

albinosprint

Mentor
after checking out one of thelinks that WL gave us, i looked into the two guys who beat Pickering (TIm Abeyie and Harry Aikines-Aryeetey). who can tell me what the deal is with Abeyie,is he white? and as foe Harry boy, i would have to say he is on the juice. at 17 he's just to jacked.here alink for a pic of Harry.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/5061248.stm

white is right

Hall of Famer
I would hope not, as his body shouldn't be fully developed. But what 17 year old has physique like that? He maybe a guy who just doesn't get much better as his body looks very mature........

albinosprint

Mentor
pickering personal best for the year is 10.38. he is getting off to a decent start this year. i would have liked to seen him in the 10.2X already, but lets see what the rest of the season brings.