Cornerback report

sunshine

Mentor
I know Jimmy Chitwood and a few others have touched on this topic but anyone in the mood can we have a list of NFL caliber cb's in college right now. I will start with Syracuse's Steve Gregory. Looks like a candidate to me. There are a few others.

sunshine

Mentor
A few more names to ponder--all have been discussed before. Gregory is real fast and looks like he could start in NFL. Josh Golden of ASU is real good. Speed and everything. Byu's Nate Soelberg has been out most of year but has great raw speed and potential. And Utah's Eric Weddle usually plays safety but could get a look at CB. He is vesitile.

I have noticed that teams are patient with cbs. Ever noticed how often they get burned time after time but stay out on the field week after week? Maybe with white guys that patience wears thin since fans etc. might complain about having a white corner as if to say that won't work. Jason Sehorn had to take a lot of crap during his career even though he was really great most of the time. Sehorn was a Cubs farmhand for several years--by the way. Also see old Cardinalscb Roger Wherli is a candidate for HOF? I think.

There are maybe a couple more names out there--let us know.

whiteCB

Master
Can't forget CB Andrew Pace of Vandy and what makes it more remarkable is that he's doin it in the good ol' SEC.

Jay White

Steve Gregory has started 4 years for Syracuse including last season at
WR..Despite having misfortune of being a member of the worst Syracuse
team in 50 years , he has played well enough at CB for Syracuse's
pass defense to be ranked 18th in the country. Although I have not seen
a recent 40 time for him, he has run a sub 4.4 forty.

He showed his speed and athleticism by blocking a Notre Dame FG attempt
a few weeks back. Some Syracuse fans actually called for Gregory to
play both offense and defense (because the offense is close to the
worst in the country). Yet, Steve Gregory is not mentioned anywhere as
a possible NFL prospect. So another very skilled, very athletic
white football player will not get even a chance to show what he
could do in the NFL.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the board, Jay White. I don't follow Syracuse much anymore, due to the way Rob Konrad was recruitedby being given the hallowed #44 and then was greatly underusedby Paul Pasqualoni, and because they play nothing but black quarterbacks.

Thankfully Pasqualoni is gone. When I have watched Syracuse, Gregory has stood out because of his athleticism and big play ability. But you're right that he's never mentioned as an NFL prospect. It truly is amazing that the NFL wants nothing but black cornerbacks, who are often smallwith average speed and just plainaren't very good,to the point of not allowing any white ones no matter how much talent they have.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Don you're right. It is easier for a white player to be a running back then cornerback. There are all kinds of accepted running types: sppedy guys, shifty guys, power runners, guys who can read blocks, but there is only ONE type of cornerback: a small, quick, black player, that is dumb as a box of rocks, gets burned regularly, can't catch a ball to save his life and draws PI's at the wrong time. There are virtually NO exceptions to this sterotype so in some ways it is a tougher nut to crack then running back.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Any of you Texans (or anyone else) know if Daniel Charbonnet is white or not? I found this description of him on Draft Daddy, but can't find a picture of him anywhere on the 'net. Sounds like he might be a white CB:

CB Daniel Charbonnet ~ Texas Tech, from Duke -- Can it be that a Duke transfer heading to Texas Tech really runs a sub 4.4 in the 40 yard dash?....A natural cornerback/track star, who started a few games outside for the Blue Devils as a true freshman in 2004. However, with Vincent Meeks and Dwayne Slay headed to the NFL, Charbonnet "might" start out at safety for the Red Raiders. Regardless, this 5' 11", 200 pound speedster (who once ran a 4.32 40 in front of college recruiters) belongs at cornerback in the Big 12. Houston area native could become a huge fan favorite at Texas Tech.

KG2422

Mentor
He's White. He's from The Woodlands, a suburb near Houston. He also has a younger brother who is a senior cornerback in high school right now. The younger brother just broke the school record running a 4.2 hand timed 40. Even if he really runs a 4.4 he's fast.

Here's a link with a pic of Daniel.
http://www.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=236755

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the info KG. Texas Tech is one of the more white friendly programs so hopefully they'll let him play CB. It would be ridiculous to make him into a safety, but hardly unusual unfortunately.

whiteCB

Master
Wow a white CB in the Big 12 so does anyone remember the last one the Big 12?

SteveB

Mentor
Texas A&M's Jordan Peterson will be starting at CB for the Aggies this fall. To my knowledge, there as never been a white CB in the Big 12, much less two.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I am sure there has been at least one since the Big 12 began in 1996, but since I am no big fan or expert on the Big 12, I can't say for sure that there was.