Cooney-Norton

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
Liverlips:I always enjoy watching those videos and remembering some of Cooney`s successes. It`s funny how someof the idiots on YouTube denigrate Tommy Morrisonas well by posting and re-postingthe Ray Mercer fight. Tommy did the same thing to Razor Ruddock that Gerry did to Norton. It`s a shame that black fighters are so poor in recent years that there aren`t but a few to even get in the ring, let alone fight at a high level.I guess superior white fighters will have to keep most of the belts for years to come.

G

Thanks 44 for the video of Cooney crushing Norton,payback is a bitch. Cooney, I believe was another wasted talent. He was the victim of poor match making(taking the fight with Larry Holmes too soon) and weak mentally. Once he lost in a very competive fight with Holmes he always doubted himself and resorted to drugs/alcohol. Its a shame.

After beating Norton, Cooney went into a spell of inactivity. He was softened by drugs, alcohol, etc going into the Larry Holmes fight. Cooney did not exactly have the mind-set that Rocky Marciano had in a similar situation.

forty-four

Guru
I remember the Cooney-Norton fight very well. I was a young teen and was invited over to a neighbor's apartment to watch the fight. The neighbor was a black guy in his 30's. Some of his buds showed up to watch the fight too. ThereI was andI had no idea who Cooney was. Honestly I figured he'd be beaten easily by Norton. Imagine my surprise (and theirs too!) when Cooney beat Norton "like he stoled something" - to quote the bros after the fight. Of course, I was stunned when Cooney lost to Holmes. I remember during that fight calling some 900 number to get round by round updates. There wasn't much to hopeful about back then. I liked Mancini, but things were grim. I wanted badly to see a great white fighter.As we know,things have changed and I'm enjoying boxing again!

G

Here is a another true story about the after math of that Cooney/Norton fight. As a young teen I use to have take the bus from my rough neighborhood to a private school which was located in the better part of the city.

Somewhere along the way Ken Norton Jr would get on the bus. The son who was all pro and won Superbowls with the Cowboys and 49ners. Anyways him and his blk bone head friends would get on, go back to the end of the bus and act like morons, yelling and cursing, basically being nonsenscical.

While image the scene that monday after his father's demolition. When he got on the bus,everyone(except me) started to making of his father losing to a 'white boy'. I remember one kid say, "ken yo daddy looked like he was drunk in that corner after that white boy beat him up." This went on for about 5 minutes. Finally, one blk teen, said, "ken yo daddy is sorry, I could whoop his ass." It was at this point that Ken Jr commenced to beat the hell out of this blk kid. Ken Jr for a young teen was a man child. After the beat down, the bus got quite and all you hear was the bus's engine and the kid crying.

After that day I never saw Ken Jr nor the beaten down kid again. Even back in the day Ken Jr was an ugly looking kid, somehow the 'mandingo looks' weren't transfered to him.
smiley36.gif
Next time USC plays on TV look for his ungly mug as a USC coach. He is also a traitor, he played at UCLA during his college career.
smiley36.gif

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Just had to post this to upset the troll. People forget how easily Gerry handled "superior" black athletes like Norton, Young and Lyle:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8Fb0Qidm9Fg

Gerry Cooney - he should have and could have been the champ. But he was badly mismanaged, including by himself. Ken Norton and Larry Holmes said he was the hardest puncher ever.

Ken Norton fought Ali three times, winning once, and losing two close decisions.

Here's Cooney destroying Jimmy Young in 1980. Young fought and clearly beat Ali four years earlier, but they gave Ali the decision anyway... http://www.thesweetscience.com/.../1773-jimmy-young-how...... one of Ali's very many phony so-called wins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-gvKlQzWKc

When Cooney finally fought Holmes he had only fought two rounds in the past two years, and his training left a lot to be desired, and then instead of fighting his usual fight, immediately going for a KO, he just tried to box and pace himself, and that in an outdoor ring on a sweltering hot night in the desert under very hot lights, one of the hottest rings ever.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Gerry Cooney was an excellent boxer who only lost 3 fights in his career. All three of those losses were to very good boxers.

He's very underrated.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Cooney's win over Norton must surely be the most convincing heavyweight win over a top contender ever.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Here is a another true story about the after math of that Cooney/Norton fight. As a young teen I use to have take the bus from my rough neighborhood to a private school which was located in the better part of the city.

Somewhere along the way Ken Norton Jr would get on the bus. The son who was all pro and won Superbowls with the Cowboys and 49ners. Anyways him and his blk bone head friends would get on, go back to the end of the bus and act like morons, yelling and cursing, basically being nonsenscical.

While image the scene that monday after his father's demolition. When he got on the bus,everyone(except me) started to making of his father losing to a 'white boy'. I remember one kid say, "ken yo daddy looked like he was drunk in that corner after that white boy beat him up." This went on for about 5 minutes. Finally, one blk teen, said, "ken yo daddy is sorry, I could whoop his ass." It was at this point that Ken Jr commenced to beat the hell out of this blk kid. Ken Jr for a young teen was a man child. After the beat down, the bus got quite and all you hear was the bus's engine and the kid crying.

After that day I never saw Ken Jr nor the beaten down kid again. Even back in the day Ken Jr was an ugly looking kid, somehow the 'mandingo looks' weren't transfered to him.
smiley36.gif
Next time USC plays on TV look for his ungly mug as a USC coach. He is also a traitor, he played at UCLA during his college career.
smiley36.gif
I always liked this poster and his insight. What happened to him?

werewolf

Hall of Famer
I always liked this poster and his insight. What happened to him?

Looked like a good poster to me too. I guess he was banned somewhere along the line for some reason. My early posts on here have been "guested" too.

IMG_3924.jpg

Cooney and Klitschko

Last edited:

werewolf

Hall of Famer

Ken Norton fought Ali three times, winning once, and losing two close decisions.

He actually beat Ali AT LEAST 2 of the 3 times. I just watched Norton-Ali's 3rd fight in 1976 for the WBA and WBC titles. Norton was way ahead. The announcers all said he had pulled the upset, and Norton's corner was celebrating, and Ali and his corner was dejected - and then all 3 judges gave the fight to Ali, and the announcers were asking what do you have to do to win a fight against Ali which was a very good question. This was not the so-called close decision fight they had in '73, and Norton won their first of 3 fights earlier in '73. So this is yet ANOTHER one of hype job Clay's phony wins that I had forgotten about. Norton insisted to his dying day that he won this fight, and he clearly did.

Cooney demolished Norton in 54 seconds in 1981 and ended his career.