Colts - Ravens

bigunreal

Mentor
I am very happy that the Colts won, but there was nothing to like about Peyton Manning's performance, or Tony Dungy's coaching. Manning once again looked nervous and unnatural in a playoff game, and once again failed to produce like he does routinely in the regular season. The most telling pley in this regard, imho, was when he had Moreheard wide open deep on the sideines for a sure TD, but overthrew him just enough to cause an incompletion. Luckily, Steve McNair was even worse, and the Colts strategy of playing not to lose (instead of playing to win), which Dungy always employs in big games, worked. If Manning doesn't play up to his standards next week in the championship game, that will be three subpar games in a row, and none of us will be able to make excuses for that. I really want him to win, but he has to prove to me that he can come up big in a meaningful game. Who knows, maybe the defense will keep playing well enough to win it for him. While that would be bitter sweet, I'd still be happy to see him in a Super Bowl. BTW, Marvin Harrison came up with a flat performance again in a playoff game (and Reggie Wayne was invisible as well). The stat I mentioned last week about Harrison having over 75 yards in a playoff game only one time in now 12 career games is one of the most telling ones imaginable. Peyton isn't the only superstar on the Colts whose nerves get the best of him in big games. But don't expect the media to mention that. Overall, it was a nice win.

Kaptain

Master
Dierdorf is still the worst. He was in full McNair worship today. making excuses for his interceptions and glowing over his arm strength - if you can believe that.

At the end of the game it Gumball and Dierdorf both sounded like someone had just shot their puppy. Pretty clear who Gumball was routing for.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Kaptain Poop said:
Dierdorf is still the worst. He was in full McNair worship today. making excuses for his interceptions and glowing over his arm strength - if you can believe that.

At the end of the game it Gumball and Dierdorf both sounded like someone had just shot their puppy. Pretty clear who Gumball was routing for.

I wonder if anybody besides us notices this type of thing?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Some pics from today's game.

Rob Morris with a nice hit.
BAF12301140021.jpg

Peyton getting a few on the ground.
BAF11401132301.jpg

One of five.
BAF10401132220.jpg

Two of five.
BAF11801132332.jpg

Three of five.
BAF13401140139.jpg

Yeah, Vinatieri isn't an "idiot kicker" like Vanderjagt is he Peyton?
BAF12701140059.jpg

Now, let's see what next week brings.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Kaptain Poop said:

Personally, I'mhappyany time there's a game when I don't haveto listen to Phil Simms. He's as tough to take for me as Joe Theisman. But Simms will undoubtedly being doing his Caste thing during the Chargers-Patriots game tomorrow. The only positive is that Simms' partner Jim Nantz is the fairest play by play announcer out there.

I'm saddened that the Ravens lost; I might have grtown up a Colts fan instead of a 'Skins fan if Irsay hadn't left town. Because of that, I wanted desperately for them to lose.

Poacher

Mentor
It's nice to see the Raven's thug defense be beaten. Statistcally speaking Peyton didn't have a good game but it was good enough. On the road, in the playoffs, outdoors against the NFL's #1 defense...Peyton did alright. He put together a couple of nice drives for field goals. Remember that drive that started at the Colt's 1 yard line? And how about Vinatieri? What a clutch performer. He was easily the Colt's MVP of that game. Also, it was nice to see Klecko in the backfield blocking like a madman.

It looks like the last of the great black QBs is out of the playoffs. PFFFT. Nice game Steve. The "Crowning Jewel" of the Raven's couldn't get it done.

Man, wouldn't it be something if the Colts faced the Patriots one more time.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Poacher said:
It looks like the last of the great black QBs is out of the playoffs. PFFFT. Nice game Steve. The "Crowning Jewel" of the Raven's couldn't get it done.

Yes, but he did show toughness and great leadership during the loss.
smiley36.gif
smiley29.gif
Edited by: Don Wassall

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I don't know how anyone who hates the caste system can root for the Ravens. It's beyond me. There is nothing redeeming about that team.

Is there even one 'bright' spot on that team to root for besides Todd Heap?

EDIT: I forgot about Kelly Gregg on defense, but he is obviously overshadowed by Ray Lewis, et al. So one white starter per side.

No thanks. Edited by: White Shogun

Remember how Joe Montana would have big games in playoff and Super Bowl games? Terry Bradshaw often came up big in these situations. It's about time Peyton Manning did the same. I write this as someone who is a fan of his.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
sport historian said:
Remember how Joe Montana would have big games in playoff and Super Bowl games? Terry Bradshaw often came up big in these situations. It's about time Peyton Manning did the same. I write this as someone who is a fan of his.

I agree.