offensive game plan was mindlessly conservative from the start, when
most fans would suspect they'd come out flinging against that decimated
pass defense. Tony Dungy, like Marty Schottenheimer, has a history of
changing his game plans to an ultra-conservative, play-not-to-lose mode
in the playoffs. One would think both of them would have realized by
now that this strategy doesn't work. Anyhow, the conventional wisdom is
that Bill Belichek has Manning's number and simply knows how to defend
him. Okay, maybe so. Also, maybe Manning simply can't do it in the
clutch. Is he the Greg Norman of football?

The alternative view, that the game was fixed, makes a lot of sense to
me. First of all, the Caste system doesn't want to have to "ooh and
aah" over any white star, and Manning is the biggest white star of them
all. With the Eagles or Falcons, you know the entire story will be
McNabb or Vick. All of the attention will be focused on them. With
either the Steelers or the Patriots, the story will be the "team," and
especially in the Patriots' case, the coach. Tom Brady, despite his
great accomplishments, never gets the credit the black stars in the NFL
get. With Manning, however, the focus is all on him (they simply can't
ignore those stats) and the NFL is apparently uncomfortable with that
now. Anyhow, it's just one of my many wild and crazy theories.

I'm depressed and demoralized now, because I don't think any of the
remaining teams are worth rooting for. The Patriots would be okay,
except for the presence now of Corey Dillon. No way can I ever root for
this stupid thug. The "Pros and Cons" book, which has been mentioned on
this site a few times, goes into great detail about Dillon's massive
juvenile crime record.

cxt7

Guru
I have always believed that the nfl fixes games, a lot of people lost a lot of money betting on the colts this week, the media had articles out everywhere about the colts beating the patriots. I had a friend who went the the browns-broncos playoff game (the drive) and after the game he went to a local bar, one of the refs was at the bar and everyone had a few drinks and were sitting around talking, the ref told my friend that denvers field goal in o.t. had to be good, because denver had to win, when my friend asked him what he ment the ref told him, figure it out for himself.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The following is a repost of something I wrote on this topic last year. I must admit I have a hard time understanding why the Colts never attempted a medium or long-range pass for the entire game, especially with the Patriots having a ravaged secondary. It's an interesting subject, one open to a lot of speculation:

"There is certainly a significant segment of the American public that believes in "conspiracies" when it comes to politics, or at least that certain seminal events (the political assassinations of the '60s for example, 9/11, the OKC bombing for others) didn't happen the way the government and media tell us they did.

"But so few can see the very real racial manipulation of sports, so well-conditioned are they to believe the reigning myths. As far as "rigging" actual events there's no hard proof of it that I'm aware of, other than the occasional point-shaving scandal in basketball that makes the news.

"Paranoia magazine (www.paranoiamagazine.com) carried an article a couple of years ago that pondered the possibility that the NFL is rigged. The strongest single piece of "evidence" the article contained was from a black NFL player quoted in Playboy in I believe it was 1971, who stated flat-out that some games were fixed. The thrust of the article in Paranoia was more that the NFL may be "tweaked" to follow certain "scripts" in a given season, e.g. the Patriots emerging to win the Super Bowl in the season that followed 9/11.

"The huge amounts of money bet on football are another factor that might cause outcomes to be arranged or somewhat altered (to cover point spreads and under/overs without actually changing who wins and loses)."
Edited by: Don Wassall

The black NFL player mentioned above was Bubba Smith. He claimed that Super Bowl III was suspicious in how it turned out. That was Namath's Jets beating the Colts, whom Smith played for. Some have speculated that the Colt's owner, Caroll Rosenbloom, went along with a fix in that game, as well as shady dealings in other areas. I don't believe it. Rosenbloom was humiliated by that game, and as a Ram fan during the 70s, I know that Caroll Rosenbloom did not like looking like a fool.

It's long been said that Rosenbloom ordered Weeb Ewbank to go for a touchdown in the Sudden Death overtime in the 1958 Colt-Giant NFL title game. The spread was 3 points and it took a touchdown for the Colts to cover. This meant, of course, that Rosenbloom was betting on his own team, which he may well have done.

I have read that a player named Frank Filchock agreed to throw a game in the 1940s, but was found out. The players weren't paid much in those days. What financial incentive would Peyton Manning have to give a sub-par effort? Doesn't he have a $98 million dollar contract? Manning is getting trememdous criticism for failing to get his team in the Super Bowl. Think of the money and acclaim Peyton would get if he actually won a Super Bowl.

Some years ago, I used to talk sports a lot with a black guy named Willy I knew at work. Willy liked to bet on sporting events. I warned him that point spreads are designed to keep thepeople who bet from winning very much. When his team (or fighter) won, Willy thought it was a fair outcome. When his guys lost, he always thought "it was fixed."

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I could certainly see that games could be fixed. If you are a believer in the caste system you are essentially a believer in a large scale fraud.

I would say that the weather was horrible for the Colts passing game. They need to get a home field advantage through the playoffs to ensure the conditions are right.

bigunreal

Mentor
Don,

Ex-Cleveland Brown DB Bernie Parish wrote a book many years ago called
"And They Call It A Game." He mentions, matter of factly and without
elaboration, that "I personally participated in many fixed games during
my career." Interestingly enough, he also mentioned that he knew that
many NFL teams would rather draft black players, especially in the 1st
round, because they thought they weren't as smart and would therefore
sign for less money.

Approximately 10 years ago, ex-Colt and Raider defensive lineman Bubba
Smith came out publicly and said that the Super Bowl he'd played in
against the Jets had been fixed. He talked quite a bit, mentioning the
infamous Earl Morrall flea-flicker, where everyone in the stadium saw
Jimmy Orr waving his hands in vain, wide open down the field, as
Morrall held the ball for several seconds and then was intercepted as
he inexplicably tried to force the ball to a secondary receiver.
Smith's comments were not taken seriously, and his acting career
appears to have ended afterwards. No more "Police Academy" type flicks
or Miller Lite commercials. I personally think Super Bowl III is the
most obviously fixed NFL game of all time. What a coincidence that a
"miracle" team should upset the heavy favorite, giving credibility to
the fledgling AFL-AFC, just in time for the merger. What a further
coincidence that the team should be from New York, media capital of the
world and the city where so many "miracle" teams have been born over
the years in all sports. Then we have glamor QB Joe Namath, the most
overrated white player in the history of sports, guaranteeing a
victory.

Finally, on the issue of fixed games in general, in recent memory we
had then Redskins WR Irving Fryar come out pubilcly and admit to having
been paid to throw the big national championship game against Miami in
1984, when he was a star with Nebraska. Fryar dropped several key
passes in that game, and here he was admitting years later that he'd
been paid to do so. I don't remember if he even said who paid him off,
but at any rate none of the jock-sniffing "journalists" would have had
the slightest interest in that, anyhow. Here we have a long-time NFL
semi-star, confessing to having thrown the biggest NCAA game he ever
played in, and no one really reacted at all. No one questioned his
integrity, and thought to ask if he'd thrown any NFL games. No one
questioned the legitimacy of that NCAA championship, or felt like
looking into the obvious possibility that Fryar may not have been the
only one involved. Fryar's career didn't suffer at all, he wasn't
looked at as a pariah, and no one was interested in questioning him
further, or anyone else who played in that game, about this whole
issue.

I think we are naive to expect the corrupt leaders who rule this
country behind the scenes to ignore something as culturally important
as sports. The NFL especially generates such huge amounts of money that
it would be completely out of character for our super capitalists to
allow it to exist without their control, IMHO.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I would think that if games or point spreads are manipulated it is easier to do it through the officials. Individual players yes, but I don't think an entire team would ever go along. There are too many players who are too competitive and have too much integrity.

I don't think Peyton Manning, for example, would ever go along with such a thing. As far as yesterday's game, I wonder more why Harrison and Wayne apparently were incapable of getting open downfield. There are often good passing games in inclement weather. Remember the Sunday night game in Denver between the Broncos and Raiders about six weeks ago? That was played on a snow-covered field yet there were some beautiful long passes, and Kerry Collins had a huge game.

Officiating is so subjective in the NFL, especially defensive interference. Remember a few years ago, when the Browns and their opponent had to come back on the field a half hour after the game ended and replay the last couple minutes of the game? I can't remember the details well but that was extremely suspicious to say the least. I can remember individual games when a team was blatantly favored time and again. I remember a season when the 49ers got one unfair call after another in their favor. Gambling is such big business that it's naive to think that games might not at least be tweaked.

IceSpeed

Guru
I think it must be difficult to fix a football
game. Maybe you could have a player take a plunge, or bribe an
officiating crew to have the game's outcome lean one way. I do
not think it is possible to put a complete fix in on a football game.

bigunreal

Mentor
I can't say with certainty how NFL games would be fixed. Certainly,
individual games could be determined simply by the officials. A holding
call here to nulify a touchdown by the team that is not supposed to
win, a pass interference call there for the team that is supposed to
win; I think we can all at least accept the possibility of that. As for
player involvement, it is not as far-fetched as it seems. Think about
even the most complex "conspiracy" scenario imaginable; all the players
and coaches being participants in a professional 'rassling type of
charade. Let's say you are a 21 year old college senior and are
considered a first-round draft pick. That means millions of dollars in
signing bonus money alone. If NFL officials met with you, prior to the
draft, and explained that you would be participating in scripted,
preordained events, rather than competetive football games, what would
you do? Considernig, under this scenario, that all the major media
would be involved in the "fix" as well, where would you go with this
information, if you decided to buck the system and be a whistleblower?
Wouldn't you opt to take the millions, and play the game you loved for
a living? You would actually be playing games, after all, and probably
would convince yourself that the outcomes weren't preordained. You
might be like countless fans, who almost come to expect "controversial"
calls that end up changing the outcomes of games. The tackles, hits,
catches, throws and kicks would all still be real, except when the
"script" called for you to drop a pass or an interception, or shank a
field goal, or throw a key pass right into the hands of a defender.

I think that it is highly unlikely that the more complex scenario,
including lots of player involvement, is the way games would be fixed,
but I do not think it is impossible. I tend to think that the officals
are used exclusively to oversee the "scripts," although it seems pretty
clear that the announcers and print "journalists" covering these games
are in on it, at least to some degree. The latest good example of this
was the blatant clipping penalty on the Rams Mike Furrey in the playoff
game last weekend, which was seen repeatedly on replay and never
acknowledged by the commentators.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting thoughts, Bigunreal. One thing that continually strikes me, which I've mentioned in other threads, is that many NFL "defenses" are so bad as to almost be a joke. There are exceptions like New England, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Baltimore and others, but many defenses remind me of movies and TV shows that have a football scene, where the plays are so obviously and incompetently choreographed -- defenders standing around, missing easy tackles, etc. I'm starting to think Curley of the Three Stooges might be able to take one the distance in today's NFL! Too many guys score touchdowns way too easily. Is it purely incompetence and abandonment of fundamentals or is it possible that many players are jaded from "playing their roles"?

I read the book by Bernie Parrish, They Call It A Game. Parrish didn't write that he participated in fixed games. He said that he played in games where he "felt something was wrong." When some writers pressed him on that point on a 1971 TV show, Parrish could not name any specific games. In a 1997 book by Terry Pluto on the NFL Champion 1964 Browns, Parrish was quoted extensively. Parrish was still critical of the league, but said nothing about fixed games.

As far as league officials, owners, and media wanting to fix games, it would not really be in their interest. The NFLknows the fans want "legitimate and honest competition." A scandal could finish the sport. As time passes, people may have other ways of entertaintment. Then sports as we know it would fade away.

Whatever you think of athletes, they are trained from childhood to compete and win. In football, the easiest way to get hurt would be to let up. A player could get seriously injured participating in a fix.

It is possible that a Hollywood Henderson type might owe money to a drug dealer who would lean on him to miss his coverage.However, I don't think you would have a team going in the tank deliberately. Most pro football teams will have at least one game a year in which they don't show up, which results in upsets or surprising blowouts. In many Super Bowls, one of the teams comes up flat on game day. I don't think there is large-scale fixing.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
OK, you guys got me to wondering. The first two incompletions by the Colts were strange and I thought so at the time.

The first one to Pollard, which we did not get a very good look at, at first, was a drop, granted it was low and away, it was still peculiar the way it just fell to the ground like it hit a brick wall instead of someone attempting to bring a ball in.

Has anyone figured out what happen on the Clark missed ball? Did he lose sight of the ball as it was released? Did it get on top of him before he was ready or did it just go through his hands? Kept getting dark replays on that one.

I just thought how unfortunate that a offense that had been clicking all year would have missed two balls like that. It would be hard to imagine that these guys would be on the take. If anyone wanted to speculate that the fix was in, these two examples might be exhibit A & B, though. LOL At any rate, not Manning's fault.

Excellent point about no deep passes, Don. Strange, very strange.

cxt7

Guru
One thing no one has mentioned is the coaches. I want to use the seahawks and rams in this years playoff game as a example. First of all there were 2 phanton pass interference calls on the drive that the rams tied the game up, the first on was on a 3rd down play that gave them a automatic first down and the second was downfield, in both replays there was no contact. The reason i say coaches is that the seahawks with a chance to tie the game have robinson, jackson and engram on the field. They did not have jerry rice on the field. On a pregame the following week rice was on and asked how he felt not being on the field in the situation, he said they wanted to go with the younger guys. Hey rice engram is 33. I know if I was the coach and called a slant play on 4th down and had to get a TD, with the options the seahawks have jerry rice was the best option.

Another reason I say coaches could be in on it, first of all most make a lot less then the players, and they work 100 hours a week, how many times in playoff games have you seen one team get a nice lead then go conservative then blow the game. It would be easy to change a outcome of a game with poor playcalling.

Here's another very peculiar play from the Pitt-NY game. With 6 seconds left in the fourth quarter, instead of going for the field goal, the Jets snap the ball and Pennington takes a knee for a two-yard loss. Now there's 4 seconds left. What's up with that???? It makes Doug Brien's field goal attempt two yards longer. He had just missed a 46-yarder, and now this attempt goes from 38 to 40 yards for no reason. Heinz Field is the most difficult stadium in the NFL to make field goals in. No visiting kicker has made a kick longer than 46 yards in the history of Heinz Field. Why would you deliberately make your field goal attempt two yards longer in that kind of pressure situation?

cxt7

Guru
I know that field goal was not lined up it was from the outside hash, I have always heard that you are supposed to kick on third down anyway, in case of bad snap. I was very surprised that they didnt try to line it up into the center of the field.

bigunreal

Mentor
Sports Historian,

How could it not be in the interest of the NFL hierarchy to fix games?
Pro sports, particularly the NFL, is so tied in with gambling and point
spreads that a little prior knowledge could net those in the know a
whole lot of money. If you postulate that organized crime, through its
interests in gambling, is involved in alll this, then there is little
chance of any whistleblower stepping forward to cry foul. And who would
they cry foul to, anyway? We all acknowledge here that sports
"journalists" are anti-white and favor blacks at all times. If they are
dishonest enough to do that, then we can state with certainty that they
would never, ever question the validity of even one NFL game. Idiotic
announcer Mike Greenberg, of ESPN radio's "Mike and Mike" morning show,
recently proved this. When some observers questioned the fact that a
referee in last season's NBA playoffs had been overheard asking the
scorekeeper "how many fouls does Shaq have?" during a timeout,
Greenberg responded to some fan's very rational comments that this
indicated perhaps the referee was unethical by saying simply "Look, NBA
games are not fixed, okay?" In the most recent example I cited,
no honest announcer could have watched the replay of Rossum's punt
return which featured a textbook example of clipping, right as Rossum
caught the ball, and right in front of the referee, without mentioning
it. They didn't, until after several replays they quickly noted that
the Rams were protesting that it was a clip. Before that, they had
repeatedly praised the block, which they had to know was illegal!

I remember the Parish quote differently from you, but I'd have to find
my copy of his book to quote it. There are lots of examples of games
that seemed fixed in my memory. Remember the playoff game between the
Raiders and the Patriots back in, I think, 1976- when a whole series of
extremely questionable calls went agains the Patriots in the final
minutes, resulting in a comeback Raider win. I think it was after this
game that the odious Matt Millen attempted to start a physical
altercation with the scrawny son of the Patriots owner. There was a
playoff game between Dallas and Chicago back in 1975, which was the
first time in a decade that the Bears had made the playoffs. Again,
lots of questionable calls benefiting the "chosen team" (Dallas),
including my favorite, when a Bears WR was flagged for spiking the ball
on the field of play. This was the first time I'd ever seen such a
penalty called, and I've only seen it called a few other times over the
years, despite many players doing the same thing on a regular basis. We
all remember the non-pass interference call on Drew Pearson, which
allowed the "chosen" Cowboys to beat the Vikings on the first so-called
"Hail Mary" play. How about the Oiler- Steeler championship in 1978,
when Mike Renfro's clear TD catch was ruled out of bounds, in those
non-Instant Replay days? Certainly, it was easier to "fix" games before
Instant Replay.

How about the Redskins-Raiders Super Bowl, in 1983? The Theismann
screen pass that Jack Squirek returned for the touchdown was one of the
most ridiculous plays I've ever seen. There were only a few seconds
left in the first half, and the Redskins had the ball deep in their own
territory. In that situation, you either fall on the ball or try to
throw deep. Coach Joe Gibbs called a screen pass? In that situation?
Sorry, made no sense then, or now. Going back a bit turther, there was
Don Chandler's non-field goal that gave the Packers a win over the
Colts in 1965. You can still watch the replay of this "field goal" on
film, and see for yourself how it clearly went wide, yet was called
good by the officials.

There a lot more examples of "shady" doings that I remember, and I'm
sure many of you have the same kind of memories. I'm not saying that
human error doesn't happen innocently, but there is a lot to question
here. Players like Joe Namath and Ken Stabler were notorious for
"hanging around" with underworld figures. Why would a pro athlete "hang
around" with any organized crime figures, unless it involved something
crooked? This is all great food for thought, and I enjoy hearing other
comments about this subject.

speedster

Mentor
I doubt if pro sports are fixed.People just can't take it when a heavy favourite gets beat so they have to come up with excuses like injuries,bad officiating,the team peaked too soon or too late or being the" chosen team" as bigunreal mentioned then there's the poor weather excuse and then there's the " we didn't play well" bunk,where they should give credit to the other team for making you not play well and it goes on and on to the point where you end up having to use "the fix" excuse to justify your team getting beat.It's human nature to want to come up with excuses when you or someone you support fails.As far as that playoff game between the Bears and Cowboys.It was the divisional semi-final from 1977 and Dallas won 37-7.It was no contest,the Cowboy Doomsday defence mangled the Bears and on offence the Cowboys ran the ball right down the Bears throat.Dallas was clearly the better team and there was nothing shady going on.Dallas went on to win the Super Bowl that year.

I went to my bookshelf and pulled out my copy of Bernie Parrish's book, They Call It A Game. Chapter Twelve is titled- "Fixing Anyone." Parrish writes:

"There arer four basic ways to fix a football game: (1) Through a referee; (2) through an important player, or more subtly (3) through the coaching staff and team management, or (4) by drugging a key player or a number of them."

"I have played in NFL and AFL games that left me with an uneasy feeling that something was wrong; a penalty called at a bad time, a score on a field goal that looked no good, interceptions in the flat, a quarterback eating the ball and getting sacked when he could have thrown it, a poor game plan, bad strategy, or a win that was just too easy."

The rest of the chapter goes on in the same way. Parrish never says outright, "I personally participated in many fixed games in my career," just "something was wrong." When pressed on the subject when the book came out, Parrish backed off. He has since been critical of the NFL for it's financial shena****ans, but never accuses it of directly fixing games. Parrish would do so if he could. Itis true that the Pro Bowl doesn't have too much complex defense so as to have an exciting TV show, blitzes not being allowed.

Dan Moldea's 1989 book Interference is about organized crime and football. Moldea goes into all of these questions, a pretty good book. Chapter 5 is about the Frank Filchock attempt to fix the 1946 NFL title game (I'll have to read it again). The trouble with fixing a game is the high probability that it blows up in your face. The 1919 Black Sox scandal for instance. Moldea never alleges that any specific game post-1960 has been fixed.He shows that pro football is very much a betting lottery of sorts, one reason I stopped following it on a regular basis about 15 years ago. I had been an avidNFL fan since childhood.

bigunreal

Mentor
Thanks for the exact quotes, Sports Historian. I read Moldea's book a
while back. IMHO, Moldea is a disinfo specialist. That book appeared to
me to be an attempt to address the concerns many of us had, in a
dishonest way, and to ultimately conclude what you would expect any
establishment journalist to conclude. He was also a prominent critic of
the RFK asaassination official story for a long time, then wrote a
ridiculous book about the subject, where he suddenly turned about face
in the final chapter and declared Sirhan a lone assassin, because of
the way Sirhan said something completely innocuous during a prison
interview. I attempted to discuss this with Moldea a few years ago, on
the Free Republic forums. He was a casual poster there, in the days
when it was still a free-fettered web site where healthy debate was
permitted. He wouldn't answer any of my questions.

Speedster-

Your points are usually the first ones made when someone cries "fix."
However, I just don't know how anyone could sift through the stuff we
bat about on this forum, whereby it seems pretty clear that the NFL
blatantly discriminates against white players-especially at certain
positions-and still argue that nothing as sinister as fixed games could
be going on in the same league. Look at some of the old owners-like Al
Davis; that guy has mafia written all over him. None of them strike me
as being particularly honest. If the officials call penalties like
holding and pass interference when and where they choose, when it is
admitted by all that they could call them on almost every play, then
the question of how they determine WHEN to call them becomes crucial. I
maintain that the holding calls that wipe out long plays or TDs, and
the pass interference calls that set up first down on the one yard
line, defintitely effect the outcome of games, and should be
scrutinized closely. As I've said, the players don't even have to be
involved, although we do know for certain that one long-time NFL
semi-star, Irving Fryar, admitted to "throwing" the NCAA championship
game in 1984, so his honesty during his NFL career has to be doubted.
Also, everyone who participated in that college championship game-which
included other future NFL players- should have been questioned as well,
because it is highly unlikely that whoever paid Fryar off didn't pay
off anyone else. And, of course, some enterprising "journalist" might
have wanted to find out just who it was who paid Fryar off. That might
be an important journalistic question, but then we know that the lame,
wannabe-comedians at ESPN & co. are anything but journalists. They
are shills for the whole corrupt system. If we criticize them here for
praising every black athlete, while de****rating or ignoring every white
athlete, why would we doubt that they'd coverup any kind of "fix"
regarding the games?

JD074

Master
How about that Miami/ Ohio State championship game a few
years back? If I remember correctly, there was a very
questionable pass interference call that helped Ohio State get
into OT, where they won the game. I'm not saying that it was
fixed, but it's easy to see how one call (or two or three) could
dramatically influence the result of a game.

IceSpeed

Guru
I think the game already was in overtime and that
got it into the second overtime if I remember correctly. That was
a wierd game. Willis McGahee got a severely damaged knee.
Ohio State never really mounted an offense. The games leading
rusher was Craig Krenzel with 50 yards(he always had good speed, but
never got any credit for it.) Ken Dorsey played well throughout
the game, but turned the ball over twice. Chris Gamble played both ways at WR and CB.

This game could have been tampered with.
However, I think it was just a wierd game where there was some
inconsistent play. If this game was fixed, the '04 Super Bowl was
fixed. Though I doubt it.

That was another wierd game. Vinatieri missed
two kicks early, one of them was blocked. Little offense in the
first half. Offenses exploded in the second half. Christian
Fauria had a touchdown pass called off, only so Mike Vrabel would score
on the next play. Key play for the Patriots was a direct snap to
Kevin Faulk, and the Panthers pretended to buy Brady's acting job of a
bad snap, or maybe he was going to call time-out and faked it.

There are a lot of wierd games. Although the
Patriots seem to be involved in many of them. Go back to the tuck
rule call. The AFC title game the same season; where the Steelers
had to repunt, and Troy Brown returned it all the way for a
touchdown. There was a blocked field goal returned for a
touchdown. Brady was shaken up and Bledsoe had to come in.

Still, I do not think games are fixed in the NFL. Maybe in the 1920's but not since then.

Edited by: IceSpeed

bigunreal

Mentor
One other big game with a lot of questionable stuff going on, much of
it related to the Caste System, was the Super Bowl between the Redskins
and Broncos following the 1987, strike- shortened season. One of the
most mediocre QBs of all time, Doug Williams, picked apart the Denver
secondary with repeated long strikes to the Redskins' 3rd receiver,
Ricky Sanders. RB Timmy Smith, who hardly played that season, set a
Super Bowl rushing record and looked like Jim Brown. He was a real
one-game wonder, virtually never producing anything else in the NFL. IF
that game were fixed, I think we can all agree on the primary reasoning
behind it; to prop up a black QB and declare him to be much better than
he really was because of that one victory.

speedster

Mentor
Just because I buy into the caste system does not mean I have to into the fix deal.One is different from the other and I don't think everything in this world is a conspiracy,although a lot of people do,like for example,some radical extremist muslims tthink the U.S. caused the recent tsunami.I like to Question things,but in doing so I have to ask myself,am I questioning it because I really do think something is fishy or is it because the outcome didn't favour me.A lot of times it's the latter which can lead to sour grapes.

IceSpeed

Guru
I am not arguing that there is a
conspiracy. I'm just suggesting that sometimes players and people
may do things that they are not supposed to do, to try to make a game's
outcome lean one way or another. This is not even a fix. A
lot of wierd stuff in games probably was just a fluke. Officials
make mistakes when calling penalties. When we watch games, we get
replay to see if a penalty should be called. Since penalties
cannot be reviewed, the refs have to watch the play done in world class
speed.

bigunreal

Mentor
This is really a matter of power and money. It is also a matter of
analyzing the people you'd be accusing of perpetrating a giant fraud or
fix. What kind of principles and values can the owners, coaches and
journalists have, when they consciously favor a particular group of
players, allowing them to get away with profane and often criminal
behavior, just because of their skin color? What kind of honesty and
dedication to clean competition can they have when they consciously
discriminate against a particular group of players, conspire to keep
them "in their place," and never allow them to compete honestly for
jobs against the favored group?

We who recognize that there is a caste system in the NFL have already
indicted the league of being dishonest and unethical. It would be
extremely naive to think that such an unscrupulous group of super rich
power brokers would be above controlling the outcome of the games they
produce, if doing so could net them even more money and power.