College football’s Whitest teams

Gary

Mentor
Some time back I believe you had a post on college football 's whitest teams.I am new here and only got a part of the post.Tell me which are the whitest teams you saw this year in College football anddo you see any programs that are getter whiter?The whitest teams I saw this year were in no set order;Navy,Byu,Iowa,Pitt,Boise State,Utah,Colorado State,Montata.Mt Union College from Alliance,Ohio is a very white team that for there division has one of the best records over the years in football.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Besides the ones you mentioned, others I saw this year with an above average number of white starters were Nebraska, Texas Tech, Oregon State, Colorado, Army, Air Force, Boston College, Purdue, Northwestern, California, and Ohio State. There were other decent ones like Iowa State, Kansas State, Utah State, Vanderbilt, Arkansas, and a lot of smaller programs from northern and Rocky Mountain states.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
The whitest SEC teams over the last decade have been Vanderbilt, Arkansas, Ole Miss, and Kentucky. Vandy was majority white in starters in 2002, but not in 2004. Arkansas has had several standout white defensive players, Jeb Huckeba and Tony Bua, recently. Ole Miss was a mainly white team numerically and counting starters until 1998. Kentucky had a good number of whites on their late 90's teams. WR Derek Abney was the best player they had in 2003.

It is sad to see the SEC teams going all black. They think they have to in order to win, but they are wrong. I used to be a BIG Ole Miss fan, but not anymore. Too PC and liberal for me. It hasn't been the Ole Miss I grew up loving for several years. I went the way of Confederate flags inside Vaught-Hemingway Stadium.
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the board, Colonel Reb. I've enjoyed watching Arkansas play the past few years. I've predicted that Matt Jones will get screwed by the NFL. They'll either try to make him a WR or TE or not draft him at all. They'll use supposed "lack of arm strength" as the excuse why he can't be a starting NFL quarterback. Were he black he would be getting the same hype Michael Vick did while playing for Virginia Tech. Hopefully the Razorbacks will give Hillis a shot at being the featured running back next year.

I remember watching a Kentucky game a couple of years ago when they had Abney and two other white receivers in at the same time. Had to doublecheck to make sure I wasn't watching ESPN Classic!

I am an old-line SEC fan. I can remember (I was 9 years old) when Billy Cannon ran a punt back 89 yards to beat Ole Miss on Halloween night 1959. Next week, my Tennessee Vols stopped Cannon 6 inches from a two-point conversion to upset top ranked LSU 14-13. Isaw Cannon's punt return on ESPN a few years ago. He was a 210 pounder who was clocked at 9.5 in the hundred. I once read that Cannon thought about trying out for the 1960 Olympics in the sprints, but preferred to take a big contract from the new AFL.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Don, I agree on Matt Jones, nobody can catch him, but he'll probably get shafted because of his skin tone. The same thing happened to Josh Bright, the Delta State University QB when they won the D2 Title in 2000. Passed and Rushed for over 1,000 yards that year. Signed as a free agent by Carolina in Spring 2002 and then released before the season started. He would have been great for the option, and was very fast and elusive, like Jones. They both remind me of Archie Manning! Anyway, this site is great, and I will be here often to check things out.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
sport historian, as a devout (former) Ole Miss fan, i remember seeing highlights of the 1960 Sugar Bowl, the rematch of the Billy Cannon game a few weeks earlier. Ole miss shut out LSU and won the national title. That 1959 Ole Miss team was voted third best of all time by Jeff Sagarin, and they were all white. Only allowed 21 points all year. Coach Vaught knew defense, and how to coach it. You don't see black teams with that kind of defense, just a bunch of missed tackles.

Yes, Ole Missbeat LSU 21-0 in the 1960 Sugar Bowl. This rematch was and is very unusual. Cannon was held to 8 yards in 7 carries. I remember seeing it on TV. Johnny Vaught's method was to recruit as many fullbacks as possible. He would then make linemen out of many of them. That way he had a lot of team speed. Tennessee lost to Ole Miss six straight, 1959-64. Tennessee couldn't stop Vaught's sprint-out passing andOle Miss stopped the Tennessee single wing cold in those years.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Two others I neglected to mention -- Wisconsin and Wyoming.

G

Doesn't have much to do with the topic at hand, but... i didn't realize
how old so of you all were. I am surprised to see how many age groups
frequent this site. I am in high school, sports historian is 55 this
year.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
That is great that we have a good age difference.We need
to educate both the young,middle age and old.People are
blind to what's going on in America.

tnt461

Help me out guys I do not follow sports that much anymore. I was wonderingif that matt Jones don mentioned is the guy that played either one year ago or two years ago. The team that boss bailey played for. That is the only thing I remember is boss bailey being on the team but the QB was tall ,and very fast.

IceSpeed

Guru
Boss Bailey played for the University of
Georgia. Jones played for Arkansas. Maybe they transferred
to their respective schools and at one time played on the same team.