Colin Powell endorses Obama

Bart

Hall of Famer
Was there any doubt?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081019/ap_on_el_pr/powell

WASHINGTON - Colin Powell, a Republican who was President Bush's first secretary of state, endorsed Democrat Barack Obama for president Sunday and criticized the tone of Republican John McCain's campaign.

Powell said both Obama and Republican John McCain are qualified to be commander in chief. But he said Obama is better suited to handle the nation's economic problems as well as help improve its standing in the world.

I am shocked! Shocked! Shocked! Shocked!
(BTW, I am wondering when Powell will ever tell the truth about Irangate.)Edited by: screamingeagle

George W. Bush's having Colin Powell and Condaleezza Rice as Secretary of State helped prepare the way for Obama.

Bart

Hall of Famer
sport historian said:
George W. Bush's having Colin Powell and Condaleezza Rice as Secretary of State helped prepare the way for Obama.

Nice going Republicans. Dummies.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14714.html

Retired Gen. Colin L. Powell, one of the country's most respected Republicans, stunned both parties Sunday bystrongly endorsingSen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) for president on NBC's "Meet the Press" andlaying out a blistering,detailed critique ofthemodern GOP.

Powell said the election of Obama would "electrify the world."

"I think he is a transformational figure," Powell said. "He is a new generation coming ... onto the world stage and on the American stage. And for that reason, I'll be voting for Sen. Barack Obama."

As a key reason, Powell said: "I would have difficulty with two more conservative appointments to the Supreme Court, but that's what we'd be looking at in a McCain administration."

Powell, once considered likely to be the nation's first African-American presidential nominee, said his decision was not about race.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Powell, once considered likely to be the nation's first African-American presidential nominee, said his decision was not about race.

And neither will mine be when I vote for John McCain.
smiley36.gif
Edited by: White Shogun

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Just show what is most important to blacks, no matter how normal or conservative they seem. Powell was once a possible Republican candidate for President, owes his whole career to Republicans and at the crucial hour deserts them for a fellow brother.
smiley7.gif
Just shameless, the conservative media (if it existed) should excoriate him for this. I hope Rush dumps a bunch of crap on him for this decision. This is the kind of thing that should open white peoples eyes but never does.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Good post Jaxvid. This is just another example of how blacks stick to their race. If more whites thought this way Obama would not be knocking on the door of becoming our next president. A black will always support another black even if he knows he's wrong.

Westside

Hall of Famer
This is deplorable, but not shocking in that blacks always support blks. We whites, have emasculated/liberal whites to worry about who will win the election for the black racist marxist.

For months BO has stated that McCain is Bush on foreign policy. I wonder if he embraces Powell(and he will) will he be endorsing BUSH's foreign policy? No, just a another fact the press won't question him on. BO if he was honest should reject one of W's "henchmen" in waging war.

I think its time for an encore of Rev jerimia Wright and his man love for BO. This will shift the election, McCain if he wants to win and save the US form itself, he must start running adds on Wright.

Westside

Hall of Famer
To elaborate on my last post, can you imagne if Cheney and Rumsfield got up on the wrong side of the bed, called "Meet the Depressed" and informed them that they would endorse BO. BO I am confident would reject their endorsements.But since Powell is a black it ok, rather sought after. Powell was knee deep in the USA invading Iraq, remember his argument at the UN in 2/2003 to overthrow Saddaam. See the inconsistency. Oh, its a black thing, always is, always will be.

I have noticed some senior members supporting McCain, so I assume its ok to throw my full support toward McCain. Go McCain!

Menelik

Mentor
Westside said:
I have noticed some senior members supporting McCain, so I assume its ok to throw my full support toward McCain. Go McCain!

Don't be a sheeple guy. You can vote for who you want to. Based on previous polls here even Cynthia McKinney has a following.
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
Edited by: Menelik

Charlie

Guru
Very late in the day, unless he wants to support the winning side. His reward? Court of St. James? Nothing too strenuous. Already very wealthy.

waterbed

Mentor
if Colin Powell did a genealogy DNA test I think it will shows he is only like 35% sub sharan african and mostly Caucasian.Still I think he supports Obama because of his colour.because why would a republican support a democrat?

The support in money for last month was 150.000.000 which obama all spended with his campaign .Think about what great things could be done with that amount of money.It was the most money ever and this has nothing to do with race?I think it is racial like the swimmer who get the most money with sponsors is black.I friend of my who gonna studie in U.S. is trying to fake he is latino(his language is mostly germanic 1/3 latin words)
I said it's better for him.he asked him becuase he had to fill in.he aslo told me that you have to pay more money when you're white with college.But when he said that he was joking right?
smiley36.gif

Solomon Kane

Mentor
while not excluding racial motives, this endorsement can be explained by the simple fact that Colin Powell is a moderate "Rockefeller" (as he himself puts it) Republican. He is neither a paleo-con nor a neo-con, and he saw what the neo-con crazies can do to a nation in 8 years. So, I think he's simply saying "no thanks" to four more years of neoconservatism.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Solomon Kane said:
while not excluding racial motives, this endorsement can be explained by the simple fact that Colin Powell is a moderate "Rockefeller" (as he himself puts it) Republican. He is neither a paleo-con nor a neo-con, and he saw what the neo-con crazies can do to a nation in 8 years. So, I think he's simply saying "no thanks" to four more years of neoconservatism.

I don't see how he can be seen as a Repuplican at all. He is said to value loyalty, but he abandoned the people that gave him his positions of authority. If he didn't like McCain he should have just shut up. This is a guy that made the case for invasion of Iraq as Secretary of State under Bush. His endorsement of Obama is just a legacy payment so he can wash some of the Uncle Tom off of himself in his last years. Maybe he'll get a position in the Obama administration or get elected head of the NAACP.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Lots of Obama's campaign money has been fraudulently contributed. It's been all over the news - fund raisers in Nigera, Libya, etc, despite the fact that foreign governments are not acceptable. Lots of fraudulent individual donations, like 'Love, I You,' bull crap. It stinks to high heaven and nothing is being done about it.

guest301

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
Just show  what is most important to blacks, no matter how normal or conservative they seem. Powell was once a possible Republican candidate for President, owes his whole career to Republicans and at the crucial hour deserts them for a fellow brother.
smiley7.gif
  Just shameless, the conservative media (if it existed) should excoriate him for this. I hope Rush dumps a bunch of crap on him for this decision. This is the kind of thing that should open white peoples eyes but never does.

Rush has spent alot of his show today dumping on that traitor Powell and asked since Powell said that his endorsement was not about race, what inexperienced white liberal has Powell ever endorsed?
Going slightly off topic, Joe Biden the "gaffe machine" that keeps on giving said that President Obama was guaranteed to face a major international incident to test Obama's "mettle" within the first six months of his presidency and that he would be forced to make unpopular decisions with his base and for the Dems to hang tough during the crisis. What a idiot to give the Republicans a opening like this. This kind of thing you discuss on Nov 10 and not October 20, two weeks before the election.

johnnyboy

Guru
sport historian said:

No, the administration's piss poor performance has lead to Obama's likely victory. If the economy and the country as a whole weren't this jacked up, a black guy wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning. when people have money problems they forget about race, religion or gender, and focus way more on just trying to get relief. Bush is seen as the reason for all the country's problems, and so people are now deciding that the cure must be whatever candidate is farther away from Bush/republican principles and or image. In this case a black, liberal, newbie senator, with a muslim name is what looks to be the best guarantee that the influence of the Bush administration will be reversed, so the masses will vote for him.

Look at it this way, this should have been a slam dunk election for the demos considering the republican track record over the past 8 yrs. But, McCain's still only down by 7-9 points.

johnnyboy

Guru
White Shogun said:
Lots of Obama's campaign money has been fraudulently contributed. It's been all over the news - fund raisers in Nigera, Libya, etc, despite the fact that foreign governments are not acceptable. Lots of fraudulent individual donations, like 'Love, I You,' bull crap. It stinks to high heaven and nothing is being done about it.

I couldn't agree with you more. This is bullsh*t and it has to stop. Why isn't the FBI investigating this or making arrests or anything??!?! I love my country but the older i get the less i understand it. God help us all.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Solomon Kane said:
He is economic conservative and social liberal(by republican standards). I remember when he retired from the military both the Democrats and Republicans courted his support.

white is right

Hall of Famer
waterbed said:
if Colin Powell did a genealogy DNA test I think it will shows he is only like 35% sub sharan african and mostly Caucasian.Still I think he supports Obama because of his colour.because why would a republican support a democrat?

The support in money for last month was 150.000.000 which obama all spended with his campaign .Think about what great things could be done with that amount of money.It was the most money ever and this has nothing to do with race?I think it is racial like the swimmer who get the most money with sponsors is black.I friend of my who gonna studie in U.S. is trying to fake he is latino(his language is mostly germanic 1/3 latin words)
I said it's better for him.he asked him becuase he had to fill in.he aslo told me that you have to pay more money when you're white with college.But when he said that he was joking right?
smiley36.gif
He is more white than black genetic wise. He is what they call Creole, whitish in the West Indies. Coupled with accent which is white NYC accent(probably because when he grew up the South Bronx it was mostly a white ethnic area), a lot times I forget he is "black".

white is right

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
Solomon Kane said:

I don't see how he can be seen as a Repuplican at all. He is said to value loyalty, but he abandoned the people that gave him his positions of authority. If he didn't like McCain he should have just shut up. This is a guy that made the case for invasion of Iraq as Secretary of State under Bush. His endorsement of Obama is just a legacy payment so he can wash some of the Uncle Tom off of himself in his last years. Maybe he'll get a position in the Obama administration or get elected head of the NAACP.
I know he shut his mouth for a long time about the weapons of mass destruction lie/mistake. I just think the Republican leadership have either washed their hands of him or he of them and is speaking his mind now. I do think it's a legacy thing to a point too. He would support a "moderate" black but not a Jackson type radical.

guest301

Hall of Famer
white is right said:
waterbed said:

smiley36.gif
He is more white than black genetic wise. He is what they call Creole, whitish in the West Indies. Coupled with accent which is white NYC accent(probably because when he grew up the South Bronx it was mostly a white ethnic area), a lot times I forget he is "black".

But Powell didn't forget he was black and that apparantly trumps everything with him. His son, FCC chairman Michael Powell has endorsed McCain. It was McCain that lobbied Clinton to appoint his son to the FCC. His son has not forgotten and obviously understands loyalty more than his traitor father does. Colin is hoping for a job in the Obama administration. I wonder what it will be, Sec of State or UN ambassador. My pick is the latter. He's 71 and obviously obsessed with his legacy now. Since the history books are often written by those who figuratively and literally "hang the heroes", Colin should be in good stead now if Obama wins.Edited by: guest301