Clinton Woods

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Clinton Woods, the IBF light heavyweight champion, will be defending his title in England on Saturday, Sep 29 against his mandatory opponent, Julio Cesar Gonzalez.

G

Not sure why he took off an entire year. He was gone so long I almost forgot about him.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Woods says he is now completely recovered from a serious injury requiring surgery that kept him inactive for over a year.

Surgeons had to actually cut out a piece of muscle in Wood's left forearm. The tendon at the elbow had actually been torn from the bone during Wood's last fight with Glen Johnson. His fight with Gonzalez was originally scheduled for June 23, but had to be postponed because Clinton's arm was still not ready. But now it's fully healed and he's ready to fight again!

smiley32.gif
GO CLINTON - It's good that's he's recovered and returning to the ring!

.Edited by: JD1986

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Clinton Woods won a dominating unanimous decision over Julio Cesar Gonzalez today, to retain his IBF Light Heavyweight title.
smiley32.gif

Gonzalez was on the receiving end of numerous hard shots, and took an especially severe beating in the 11th round. But the Mexican boxer kept fighting back, and showed courage and an amazing chin by staying on his feet until the final bell.

Edited by: JD1986

Angelcynn

Guru
Clinton woods apparently wants Antonio Tarver next? I've never had that much confidence in Woods to be honest, and as much as a don't rate Tarver I think that's a miss match for Woods. Congrats to him anyway.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Well, we'll get a chance to see Woods vs. Tarver live on Showtime (on The Fight Network here in Canada).
smiley4.gif

To me, Clinton Woods is a very good boxer, although not quite an elite fighter. I think if the judges are fair, he'll win a decision over Tarver. However, Tarver has enough power to knock most fighters out. I just hope it's not an early stoppage, like we've been seeing a lot of lately.

The fight is in Tarver's home state of Florida - but I'm hoping Woods will be treated fairly.

G

It seems that every weekend there seems to be big fight involving a white fighter, this weekend it no exception. I think Woods/Tarver fight is a pick um fight. I hope this month will be better than March's madness!
smiley5.gif
Go Clinton Woods!

Blue Devils

Mentor
I see Woods-Tarver as a very close and interesting fight. I like Woods in a UD or MD over Tarver. Gonna be hard to get a decision in Tampa. He'll have to engage Tarver and mix it up a bit. According to this http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=13410 he has Tarver's old trainer giving him tips to beat Antonio
smiley36.gif

Iron

Guru
Tarver's an horrible bastard..a real bad apple.I hope Woods does him over.Woods can win by pressure and workrate,though i'd favour Tarver slightly.Theirs a video doing the rounds on the net of the Tarver/Woods press conference which almost ended in a punch up as a result of Tarver flapping his gums.

Angelcynn

Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/7329510.stm[/URL]

Tarver making himself look very stupid, especially the clapping at the end. Home advantage will suit Tarver nicely but Woods might well have a chance here. Also, is Tarvers trainer the same one that trained Jeff Lacy and went extemely red faced when Calzaghe destroyed him in Cardiff? He's a twat!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Woods loses by UD to Tarver. It wasn't a very exciting fight. Neither man was ever in danger of being KO'd or even knocked down. Tarver pitty-patted his way through the fight, and only threw a few hard punches per round. But that was more than enough to keep Woods at bay, who did little throughout the fight. I thought it was a fair decision.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Wood's sparring partner, one of his closest friends, was killed in a car crash a couple of days ago. He's immediately flying back to Britain for the funeral.

He wasn't his normal aggressive self tonight, he seemed to be distracted. His friend's death may be the reason why.

JD1986 said:
Wood's sparring partner, one of his closest friends, was killed in a car crash a couple of days ago. He's immediately flying back to Britain for the funeral.

He wasn't his normal aggressive self tonight, he seemed to be distracted. His friend's death may be the reason why.

Or the fact that he was fighting a world class opponent who moved and countered him all night might be another reason why.

Sean

Mentor
Trooper Thorn said:
JD1986 said:

Or the fact that he was fighting a world class opponent who moved and countered him all night might be another reason why.

Of course Tarver is pretty good, but Woods has been in with world class opposition before.

I didn't know about the death of his friend. That certainly could have been a major distraction.

Angelcynn

Guru
No excuses people, Woods was lame! I was annoyed with his performance especially as I stayed up till 4/5am to watch it. The amount of times Woods had Tarver on the ropes or in the corner without capitalising was ridiculous. Thats the difference between someone like Calzaghe and Woods, Calzaghe would've battered Tarver with crazy combinations in those situations. Woods has no combinations. In round 11 if I remember correctly Tarver landed a good shot on Woods but Woods came back ith a sweet shot and shook Tarver big time but yet again he didn't take advantage. Thats the end of Woods I believe.
smiley18.gif

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
What's amusing about the aftermath of this match is the way Tarver talked so much smack, as if he laid Woods the f$%& out of something, as if they had fought this thrilling match that Tarver dominated.

He's so full of himself; I hope some other heavyweight just decks him already.

Boring fight by boring boxers.

Like listening to John Kerry debate Al Gore on who's a bigger nerd.

Next.

Sean said:
Trooper Thorn said:
JD1986 said:

Of course Tarver is pretty good, but Woods has been in with world class opposition before.

I didn't know about the death of his friend. That certainly could have been a major distraction.

The only time Woods mixed with a genuine top shelf fighters like Tarver was against Roy Jones, where Clinton got totally humiliated, and Glenn Johnson, where Clinton looked average in all three of their fights including their first fight which Woods clearly lost but got a hometown draw out of it.

Julio Gonzalez,Rico Hoye and Jason DeLisle weren't world class opposition.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Trooper Thorn said:
The only time Woods mixed with a genuine top shelf fighters like Tarver was against Roy Jones, where Clinton got totally humiliated, and Glenn Johnson, where Clinton looked average in all three of their fights including their first fight which Woods clearly lost but got a hometown draw out of it.

This is supposed to be a site where we are supportive of white athletes, Trooper Thorn. Your posts are never positive about white fighters, I notice.

You were one of the few people, I recall, who thought Cortez was fair to Hatton in his fight with Mayweather. Even Teddy Atlas and Roy Jones said he wasn't fair to Ricky, although they also said Mayweather would have won anyway.

I've seen videos of a few of Woods past fights, and he fought with a lot more aggressiveness and determination in the past. I didn't think the decisions in the Johnson fights were at all unfair, although all three fights were close. I agree that Roy Jones who was an elite fighter was a class above Woods, but Jones was also a class above Toney, Hopkins and almost everybody else in his prime. Clinton is actually a world class fighter, he's just not an elite fighter like Jones and Joe Calzaghe.

There have been many decisions that were clearly unfair: Meehan vs. Brewster, the draw in Lewis vs. Holyfield I, Sturm vs. De La Hoya, Castillo vs. Mayweather I, and Casamayor vs. Santa Cruz. However, Clinton Woods win and draw over Johnson were deserved, as was Dawson's win over him last night. Johnson sometimes just doesn't do enough in fights, although he can be very effective in spurts, and that's why he's lost 12 decisions!

Tarver isn't really all that hard to hit, as we saw in his fight with Hopkins. I think Woods may have been affected by the Florida heat and humidity, and certainly he was distraught over the death of his close friend. He wasn't attacking Tarver when he had him on the ropes, and he wasn't closing the gap and fighting on the inside with his usual uppercuts. He can be a better fighter than we saw Saturday night.Edited by: JD1986

Blue Devils

Mentor
Woods fought a decent fight. He should have let his hands go a bit more. Close fight early I had it 2-2 apiece after 4. Woods is a World level Lightheavy and he'll be competitive with the elite guys. I thought Woods beat Johnson more decisively than Dawson did. Dawson's stock went down a lot after Saturday I thought Johnson won 116-112. I think Diaconu will KO Dawson because he hits harder,faster and more explosive than Johnson. Diaconu fights this weekend and ESB will be doing a live internet stream http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=15220&more=1 can anyone tell me what time is 19:00 GMT? Edited by: shawn1262231

G

JD1986 I think your being a little too hard on Trooper Thorn. He is not the enemy just an educated person on boxing. I don't think he is a traitor by stating the obvious. Our white fighters just have to dominate or least put up a Ws which are indisputable. Woods is almost like the "White Wolf".

We all lose crediability if we start by making excuses for losses or poor performances. The idea of a friend dying and laying blame for it for the loss is stretching it. Woods lost to a better fighter that night in the end. A member above stated he should have let his hands go, but didn't, so he rightfully lost.

I still do have not the stomach to watch the Hatton/Mayweather fight due to the fact that Hatton got careless and got clocked. I am embarrassed for him and the white race. I just pray that Joe can correct the recent trend and just win.

Sean

Mentor
Kukulcan said:
JD1986 I think your being a little too hard on Trooper Thorn. He is not the enemy just an educated person on boxing. I don't think he is a traitor by stating the obvious. Our white fighters just have to dominate or least put up a Ws which are indisputable. Woods is almost like the "White Wolf".

We all lose crediability if we start by making excuses for losses or poor performances. The idea of a friend dying and laying blame for it for the loss is stretching it. Woods lost to a better fighter that night in the end. A member above stated he should have let his hands go, but didn't, so he rightfully lost.

I still do have not the stomach to watch the Hatton/Mayweather fight due to the fact that Hatton got careless and got clocked. I am embarrassed for him and the white race. I just pray that Joe can correct the recent trend and just win.

I don't think JD was making excuses. Woods is a good fighter, much better than he showed last night. Is he good enough to beat Tarver? I don't know. Last night he certainly wasn't. However, last night is about the worst I've ever seen him, so there must be a reason for it.

JD1986 said:
Trooper Thorn said:

This is supposed to be a site where we are supportive of white athletes, Trooper Thorn.

Theres a difference between support and delusion.

The post you made about the Steve Cunningham vs Marco Huck fight where Huck got totally outboxed in ten out of the twelve rounds and you said that Huck was doing fine and lost because the black ref was against him even though said ref let hook get away with blatant elbowing and clinching without taking a point, is a good example of the latter.

The opponents that Woods looked good against (Johnson,Hoye,Delisle,Gonzalez) were all come forward fighters who stood toe to toe came right at you.
When Woods, a boxer with no real amatuer pedigree, went up against slick former 96 Olmypian Tarver, he never got to grips with Tarver's southpaw stance and movement. Simple as that. Not because his friend died. Dog died. The weather. anything.

Woods is a solid but limitied fighter with a lot of heart and guts but just under world class as was proved in 2002 with his debacle against Roy Jones.

If you want to me to be like you and put my head in the sand and try to come up with laughable excuses for his loss because he is white then I'm sorry to dissappoint you.

P.S: I said Cortez's breaking up with Hatton on the inside with Mayweather was no worse than what he did when he quickly and constantly broke up Hatton and Castillo. Which it wasn't.

G

JD is a stupid bigot. Arguing with him over this stuff is a waste of time.