Clay matthews--walk on

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
He is now 6'3 240 pounds and loved beating the crap outta Darryl Clark!

johnnyboy

Guru
Europe said:
Matthews had to walk on  at USC. This ties in with white players blooming later.  As a high school junior he was 6'1 and 165. How many other white players give up because they were not recruited in high school because of late growth.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/sep/23/sports/sp-usc23

can anyone tell me if the whole "late growth for white kids" thing is really true? some posts i read are totally against it and some posts take it as fact. myself, i have no clue and have never read any literature on it in the MSM.

Don, i think you wrote about it in one post that i can't seem to find again. can you give me your input on the idea of "late maturation"?

it sounds like an interesting concept but i don't have an opinion on it bc i don't know enough about it. any input from anyone is greatly appreciated.

cheers.

Deus Vult

Mentor
It is well established that blacks mature physically at an earlier age than whites.

Normal black pregnancies are a bit shorter. Black toddlers walk at an earlier age. Black kids reach puberty at an earlier age.

I don't know offhand if there is a significant racial average difference in terms of when we reach maximum height.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
johnnyboy said:
can anyone tell me if the whole "late growth for white kids" thing is really true? some posts i read are totally against it and some posts take it as fact. myself, i have no clue and have never read any literature on it in the MSM.

Don, i think you wrote about it in one post that i can't seem to find again. can you give me your input on the idea of "late maturation"?

it sounds like an interesting concept but i don't have an opinion on it bc i don't know enough about it. any input from anyone is greatly appreciated.

cheers.

It's discussed in the Black Women Shrinking thread in Happy Hour. That thread started from a Chicago Tribune article, but as Deus Vult states it's a well known fact. I've read it in other MSM articles, and it can be confirmed through life experiences and observations. Edited by: Don Wassall

backrow

Hall of Famer
Clay is projected to go as high as second round, according to a couple of mocks i've seen. let's hope!

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
I would love for the Packers to continue drafting white players and improve thier pass rush by adding Clay! As long as he doesnt head to a team like the Raiders, Lions or BEars ill be happy though.

Bronk

Mentor
johnnyboy said:
can anyone tell me if the whole "late growth for white kids" thing is really true? some posts i read are totally against it and some posts take it as fact. myself, i have no clue and have never read any literature on it in the MSM

Absoloutely! I saw it happen all the time, I even remember my high school football coaches talk about these tall, skinny (white) kids who played for them coming back a year or two later bigger than ever.

As a high school senior I would watch films of myself as a junior and just marvel at hom much more my body had developed in a year.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
celticdb15 said:
He is now 6'3 240 pounds and loved beating the crap outta Darryl Clark!

Clark actually made a few decent throws, but seeing him get battered was great!

USC destroyed Juice Williams last year and Clark this year. I can't complain. Maybe they'll destroy Pryor next year..

I just hope that linebacker - Galippo - is not stuck behind a Compton afflete for his whole USC stay. He's a soph next year and, with their departures, should be in the rotation.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
I forgot about Galippo he came out highly ranked! He should be a stud next year.

Gi-15

Mentor
celticdb15 said:
I would love for the Packers to continue drafting white players and improve thier pass rush by adding Clay! As long as he doesnt head to a team like the Raiders, Lions or BEars ill be happy though.

GB may switch to a 3-4 defense next year, which could make the drafting of Clay a real possibility

johnnyboy

Guru
Don Wassall said:
johnnyboy said:
can anyone tell me if the whole "late growth for white kids" thing is really true? some posts i read are totally against it and some posts take it as fact. myself, i have no clue and have never read any literature on it in the MSM. Don, i think you wrote about it in one post that i can't seem to find again. can you give me your input on the idea of "late maturation"? it sounds like an interesting concept but i don't have an opinion on it bc i don't know enough about it. any input from anyone is greatly appreciated. cheers.

It's discussed in the Black Women Shrinking thread in Happy Hour.  That thread started from a Chicago Tribune article, but as Deus Vult states it's a well known fact.  I've read it in other MSM articles, and it can be confirmed through life experiences and observations. 

thanks Don and everyone else for helping me clarify the idea. i really hadn't heard much about it before.

cheers.

white tornado

Mentor
I played at a very black high school and alot of the black players were fully grown when they were freshmen. I only started one year because the black players were alot bigger than me till my senior year. When I came from my firt year in college everyone was shocked about how much bigger as well as more athletic I had become.Edited by: white tornado

Deus Vult

Mentor
white tornado said:
I played at a very black high school and alot of the black players were fully grown when they were freshmen. I only started one year because the black players were alot bigger than me till my senior year. When I came from my firt year in college everyone was shocked about how much bigger as well as more athletic I had become.

White Tornado, did you have any idea as to whether your black teammates were of the typical age (for their class) or possibly "held back." Were you or the typcal age for your class?

It was my experience that most of my black schoolmates were a year (sometimes two years) older than whites in the same school grade. So, not only did they hit puberty earlier, age wise, they were a year or two older than their white classmates. My experience was similar to yours: as an upperclassman I caught up and surpassed blacks who were bigger and more filled-out all through high school.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Key lesson here hold your kid back an extra year before starting kindergarten, it could do wonders for his athletic career. Edited by: celticdb15

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
celticdb15 said:
Key lesson here hold your kid back an extra year before starting kindergarten, it could do wonders for his athletic career.

That might actually work these days for some kids.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
That extra year could be so critical in development for some kids Reb. Just think instead of a kid reaching his matured body as a senior in high schoolhe would actually peak as a junior, a year critical to being scouted. THis may not work for all kids but thought it was worth a good mention.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
You might think the fact that his father played an amazing 19 seasons in the NFL (most ever by a linebacker) and at a high enough level that some think he belongs in the Hall of Fame,thatUSC or another school would have offeredthe son a scholarship, but that ain't how it worksgiven football'sJim Crow recruiting rules for whites at most positions.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Absolutely worth mentioning, celticdb15.

white tornado

Mentor
I would say about half were my age and half were a year older. When i was a senior alot of the juniors who started were older then me.