Chavez Jr vs Andy Lee

Westside

Hall of Famer
Wow, this is going to be an epic fight!

The fight will take place June 16. At the Sun Bowl in Texas.

This fight will be a pick em fight based on their past 3 respective performances. Chavez Jr has improved dramatically over the past year. Andy has righted his ship after his questionable stoppage loss over 3 years ago.

I believe this fight will come down to conditioning and Andy's power. If Andy comes in supreme condition (which he will) his power will carry the day with a late round KO. If Chavez Jr's chin is like his father's Andy might lose with him getting KO'd toward end. This will be a "must see fight"!

Last edited:

The Hock

Master
Chavez looks pretty good, but now way his chin is good as his daddy's was. If Andy doesn't get sloppy and boxes patiently I think his power will prevail in the end. Should be a good action fight.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Well the fight is this Saturday. I'm pumped up for this one and the Adamek-Chambers fight. Problem for Lee is the fight is in Texas. He's going to have to knock Chavez out to get the win. No way they give him a decision in front of thousands of Mexicans.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Yes, Andy Lee will need a KO. Not only is he fighting a popular Hispanic boxer in Texas, but it will be a Top Rank card.

We can be certain Bob Arum will do whatever is necessary to make sure his cash cow (Chavez Jr) will win.

The Hock

Master
Chavez has been matched carefully so far. He's a sharp puncher but he doesn't have the look of a sturdy chin to me. Andy's had to wait his turn for too long to be turned back now. I'm hoping for a big knockout, right iin front of all those Mexicans.

Then run for your life Andy.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Chavez has been matched carefully so far. He's a sharp puncher but he doesn't have the look of a sturdy chin to me. Andy's had to wait his turn for too long to be turned back now. I'm hoping for a big knockout, right iin front of all those Mexicans.

Then run for your life Andy.
Chavez Jr. has improved under Roach, It seems to be a combination of conditioning(Ariza's alleged PED ****tails?) and better infighting and hunting down opponents. This fight is a near pick'em, I suppose you have to favour Jr. because of the cash cow angle. Lee might have to beat Jr from pillar to post to get a decision.

Westside

Hall of Famer
WIR, you are correct. Jr has dramatically improved over the last 3 years. The the improvement began with his hiring of Roach and Ariza. Which resulted in a the epic battle win over Duddy. Jr is now almost a complete fighter. Vicious body attack like dad, good ring movement, great left jab and a right with ample pop. Yes, Andy's plate will be full.

For Andy to win, he must use his boxing skills, which he has, a continually moving and popping Jr with his left then lower the boom in the closing rounds. If he is not in tip top condition, Jr will wear him down and get the TKO in the late rounds.

Or.....this could be an all out assualt much like the Hearns vs Hagler fight back in 1985, within the first 4 rounds. With the winner landing an epic shot(s). Can't Wait to see this fight!

The Hock

Master
I don't like Juniors. Most of them turn out to be hypes because of their daddies. Chavez JUNIOR had only two amateur fights. Two. Lee had a real amateur career and fought in the Olympics. He's by far the more seasoned fighter and will know what to do if things get tough. I just don't see why all the money on Junior. Once Lee finds the range a booming left hand from somewhere south of Dublin will burst Chavez' bubble like a pinata.

I hope all at ringside will be wearing raincoats because at that point all the the drunk Mexicans will be pissing into their cups.

Watch out for the yellow rain.

The Hock

Master
Big hassle now over the gloves. The Lee camp wants them weighed but the Texas commission refuses. Don't know what the problem is. They should have plenty of people at the fight who know how to weigh things in ounces. If I'm Lee and they don't weigh I pull out of the fight.

Hope that doesn't happen though. This is a very intriguing match-up. I'm not so high on Lee's chances now after watching a replay of his crap performance against McKewen. I stll think he can do it though.
Andy just needs to keep his focus. And one thing he does do well is carry his power into the later rounds.

Will the real fighter please stand up (but move your head a little while you're at it Andy).

Last edited:

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Big hassle now over the gloves. The Lee camp wants them weighed but the Texas commission refuses. Don't know what the problem is. They should have plenty of people at the fight who know how to weigh things in ounces. If I'm Lee and they don't weigh I pull out of the fight.

Hope that doesn't happen though. This is a very intriguing match-up. I'm not so high on Lee's chances now after watching a replay of his crap performance against McKewen. I stll think he can do it though.
Andy just need to keep his focus. And one thing he does do well is carry his power into the later rounds.

Will the real fighter please stand up (but move your head a little while you're at it Andy).

Many are saying Chavez is just a paper champion and that he hasn't fought legit competition. If he beats Lee and convincingly then he's legit. Sadly, Andy won't be getting a decision in Texas. He's going to have to put this guy on the canvas.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
I lean toward Andy in this one. This is a guy with tons of talent who has never put it all together when it counts. If he can get this belt there are many big paydays ahead for the Irishman.

If not, he will sadly likely never fulfill his potential.

But ... his reach, southpaw stance and heart should get him through tonight with a late KO.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Watching Chavez warm up , looks ripped and big. Lee will have to be smart or believe in his power to bail him out in war. Fight starts in 10 mins

white is right

Hall of Famer
Watching Chavez warm up , looks ripped and big. Lee will have to be smart or believe in his power to bail him out in war. Fight starts in 10 mins
Laurence Cole is going to be the referee. He of the instructing the house fighter and slow counts and missed knock downs. Lee is going to have to destroy Chavez to win this.......

Westside

Hall of Famer
Chavez is the real deal. This chin is outstanding. Great power punches and body attack. He wore down Lee and got the KO. Martinez should be concerned now!

white is right

Hall of Famer
Chavez is the real deal. This chin is outstanding. Great power punches and body attack. He wore down Lee and got the KO. Martinez should be concerned now!
Yes Jr. is a huge middlweight after he rehydrates. Similar to Pavlik he has a huge size advantage over most normal middleweights. You actually saw the strength of Chavez sap the energy levels of Lee. I thought the stoppage was maybe a shade premature, but Lee was getting ko'd eventually as his shots weren't earning Chavez's respect anymore. Chavez cheesy beard aside is a man now...

The Hock

Master
Lee needed to stick and move, as he did for the first two rounds, then he slowly got drawn into a slug-out. Then he got into his load up on punches forget defense mode and that was it. I walked away a couple rounds before the end. I could see it coming. Too frustrating to watch,

Westside

Hall of Famer
Jr at this point in his career is better than his father. He has an iron chin, insane stamina, body attack, power and the instincts to go for the kill. I had it even after 6 rds. But those huge leveraged body shots from Jr sapped alot out of Andy. I could see the tide turning in 7th. Andy fought hard, but got suckered into a war. He should have constantly boxed from the outside like Steward was pleading for him to do.

I can specifically remember Andy nailing him 4 or 5 times with rights and uppercuts that would have dropped any middleweight. Jr just laughed at Andy and continued his assualt.

Andy, gave Jr his props and respect, said that he could not deal with the size and power and that many underestimate him. I think that will no longer be the case.

Where does Andy go from here? Condition himself for 12 rds of boxing. He will not win against the Jr's, Martinez's and Pirog's if he does not.

Last edited:

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
No way is Jr. even in the same category as his father. Chavez will lose to any of the belt holders at 160 and Martinez will give him a boxing lesson in September. Zbik beat him last year but Chavez was given a gift decision. Lee was ahead 58-54 on all cards at the time of the stoppage. All he had to do was box - not brawl - and he would have won.

That being said, he is getting better. But Andy Lee and Rubio are bottom-level top 10 guys. Let's not get too excited.

As for Lee, he may never be a champion but with four belts out there you never know. I hear people raving about him in the Kronk gym where he apparently gave Klitschko problems in sparring. But he never puts it all together in real fights. I recall McEwen giving him all kinds of problems two years ago.

Maybe a fight with fellow Irishman Matthew Macklin in Dublin? That would be a decent pay day for Lee.