chase budinger

nhl411

Guru
their numbers are better but budinger's team is loaded with wings as well as good scorers so his numbers are lowered as a result. durant's team has no one else who can score (although i will admit i am impressed by his rebounding totals) and oden's team as far as i know doesn't really have any other good big men

PitBull

Guru
Durant takes a LOT of shots every game. Nobody posts shot attempts when
they rave about the guy, just point totals. He's had some bad shooting
games where he scored a lot of points, just because he heaved up so many
shots. With arms as long as his, he should be doing some good rebounding.

Oden is excellent. He looks like a 30 year old.

Same old story. Budinger is a team player. Unless he takes on the mantle,
he's probably not going to put up eye-popping numbers. KId can really play
though.

nhl411

Guru
oh i know he takes a lot of shots thats what i was trying to say, that if budinger got the number of looks durant gets he would have similar point totals. but durant does make almost fifty percent of the shots so he is not necessarily just hucking them up there. and even with long arms 11.1 per game from small forward is still pretty awesome. im not trying to defend durant over the others or anything i was just trying to be as objective as possible in my post. I still think budinger is going to be just as good as durant and oden in the pros and my dad and i talked about how it was stupid that they had mentioned brandan wright in the article over budinger since budinger is a better scorer and actually a comparable rebounder despite being a wing not a powerforward.

pt.guard2

Guru
Durant is a great player and Oden is a man among boys, but Budinger should have also been mentioned as a high impact freshman in that article.

white tornado

Mentor
Durants and Oden would have to be the two best freshman this year, and I realy like Durants game. Chase defenetly is a top five freshman and now that he's quit vollyball he will improve alot more the the other two.

nhl411

Guru
you guys just summed up exactly my feelings; he should have been in the article because he's been the third best frosh in the nation so far, but with his focus purely on basketball now he could ultimately be as good or better than durant or oden

white tornado

Mentor
Yeah in basketball your hurt the most by playing other sports because it requiers practiceing your skills the most.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
there were a lot of white freshman that should have been mentioned... without even leaving the Pac-10, they "forgot" to mention several white phenoms: Washington's Spencer Hawes, Cal's Ryan Anderson, and of course Chase.

nationwide, there are lots of talented white frosh, but i'm sure SI just didn't have the space to comment on 'em.
smiley5.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Chase and his U of A Wildcats are taking on their rival ASU Sun Devils tonight.I want to see him dunk on some people.The first time they played he had 21 points and 10 rebounds in a blowout.Tonight could be a little closer.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Chase played a good game shot 8-12, I watched the game he had 23 points 6 rebounds and two assists in the Sun Devils game. From the part of the game I saw I thought he should have taken the ball to the basket more he was 3-7 from downtown. Lute Olson supposedly even commented before the game that Chase should get more aggressive going to the basket. Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
DraftDaddy linked a great article about Chase this morning. some of the excerpts...

The sophomore-to-be at the University of Arizona starts his summer days at dawn, hoisting shot after shot with his long-time trainer. Then he lifts weights. Later, he hits the beach for sand sprints, leaping hurdles, medicine ball training and lateral agility work. Finally, he plays pick-up basketball for two hours in the early evening before finally calling it a day.

Five days a week he does this, with the sixth day strictly weight training, and the seventh day to rest. But the work is done willfully, as Budinger spurned the guaranteed money of the first round in the NBA this year to return to Arizona, where he hopes to get better, and have his draft stock reach into the top five.

"I said it after we lost in the tournament and I'll say the same thing now: I'm looking to be Player of the Year next year," Budinger said.

Since Budinger was in high school, scouts have raved about the 6-foot-7 lanky talent who combines raw athleticism with an effortless shooting touch. He possesses a 40-inch vertical jump and has range beyond the NBA three-point line.

In one shooting drill he started at the NBA line. When shot after shot fell, he became disinterested and moved back another couple of feet. His form remained perfect, and with each flick of the wrist the ball snapped the net easily.

Combine that touch with the leaping ability of a dunking champion, and it's no wonder he could have left Arizona after his Pac-10 Freshman of the Year season.

"I'm just trying to prepare myself, and work hard... I am very excited; I have to take a leadership role next year," Budinger said. "I will be the main guy, doing it in crunch time. It will be like a senior year in high school, I will be the guy on our team, so I am looking forward to that."

full story here: [url]http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/college_basketball/2007 0626-9999-1s26chase.html[/url]

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Man am I lucky I live out here.This kid has the ability to be a nba scoring leader and also get his own commercials for nike and others.We need more athletic scoring american born players.Chase and Tyler Hansborough are two of the better ones.I can't wait to watch Chase dunking on some people this year.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Chase is going to be featured in Slam Magazine very soon.I will be waiting to go buy that issue.He will really open some peoples eyes when it comes to white athleticism! I can't wait.He should be a nightmare for anyone to try and match up with this season.Go Cats!Edited by: white lightning

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Chase on 29 points in the Red/Blue Game the other night. He looks alot stronger and he is poised to have an incredible season. He will probably turn pro after his sophmore season and he will be a top 10 pick in the first round.

You guys should watch the U of A Wildcats. They have several really good white players and Chase Budinger is as good as they come. Go Cats!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
expect BIG things from Chase this year...
He's not a soph touch</font>
Stronger Budinger ignoring NBA draft talk in second year
By Bruce Pascoe
Arizona Daily Star
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 11.11.2007

Just before every Arizona basketball season begins, an elephant sneaks into the Wildcats' locker room, plops down on one of the comfy red sofas and hangs out until March.

Sometimes it is ignored, sometimes it isn't.
Who's leaving for the NBA early this year? Who's desperate to move his draft stock up? Will he seek the ball more? Do we treat him differently? Or is he really a team player?

It's a problem common to all elite college basketball programs. But fortunately for Arizona, the Wildcats probably don't have to worry about any disruption from standout sophomore Chase Budinger.

Here's a guy who, even if he wanted to get a fat head, would have to answer to his two professional-volleyball-playing siblings, two strong parents, his hard-driving mentor/trainer, and his Arizona basketball coaches.
Probably not gonna happen.

"It started with my family," Budinger says. "They've always taught me to be humble, to never get full of yourself. They've always said if I get too cocky, they're going to come down and kick my (behind). They taught me to respect other people and just be a nice guy. I think being a nice guy will help you in the end."

Last season, it would have been easy for Budinger to ignore all that and become more self-centered. NBA draft projection Web sites began ranking Budinger as a potential first-round pick, spreading the thought that he might even leave Arizona after one year to take advantage of his considerable upside and make millions.

Imagine what that speculation could be like as this season goes on, considering Budinger's 6-foot-7-inch height, leaping ability, passing skill and court vision. He's already projected as the No. 7 pick in June by NBAdraft.net. Add a little defense and, well ...

Budinger doesn't want to hear it. Not yet, at least.

"There's always those players that get hyped up in things," Budinger said. "They start hearing what everybody's saying about them and they kind of take it. ... When people tell me that stuff, I let it go in one ear and out the other."

Besides, Budinger knows what he needs to do. He averaged 15.6 points and 5.8 rebounds a year ago, earning the Pac-10's freshman of the year award, but is aiming for better things this time.

His trainer, Trent Suzuki, says Budinger could average 20 points, 10 rebounds, four assists and two steals this season while hitting 90 percent from the free-throw line, 50 percent from the field and 40 percent from three-point territory.

Last season, Budinger was not far off those lofty marks. He hit 84.5 percent of his free throws, 48.5 percent of his field goals and 36.8 percent of his three-pointers. Budinger averaged 2.0 assists and 1.1 steals.

"Those are numbers he can approach," Suzuki said of the new goals. "But he's going to have to work."

He has been. Budinger spent most of last summer at home in Encinitas, Calif., working out six days a week with Suzuki, a former Jim Rome bodyguard who has worked with several NBA and major-league baseball clients.

Budinger sought better basketball skills and improved stamina to avoid the midseason wall he said he hit last year. Budinger exploded out of the gate last season but averaged 10.4 points over one five-game stretch and said he felt worn down in the second half.

Budinger knows a dip like that isn't going to cut it in the NBA. He said he won't leave Arizona until he is ready to play in the NBA, but that likely will be sooner rather than later. UA coaches have already recruited around him, fully expecting he will leave next spring.
"I don't want to say for sure," Budinger said in August, just before school started. "But if all goes well, and if I have a good season, the coaches think I'm ready, and the opportunity arises, I may enter."

Being ready, for Budinger, also involves maturation. He said he wants to evolve as a leader and go-to force this season.

Last season, Budinger said, the Wildcats suffered without a clear-cut player they could turn to. They had seniors Mustafa Shakur and Ivan Radenovic, plus sophomore Marcus Williams, all of whom were trying to assert themselves at times. But the Wildcats often struggled in the clutch, and were 2-4 in games decided by four points or less.

Those close losses ate away at Budinger, who appeared one of the most upset players in the locker room after defeats last season.

"It was tough because I was being a freshman, being timid," Budinger said. "There were two other senior leaders on the court and Marcus. All three of them were trying to be leaders on the court. It was kind of tough to step in and kind of overshadow them. Because of that, I wasn't taking over as much as I should."

He may do so now.

Noting that Budinger plays well with and without the ball, inside or outside the post, interim head coach Kevin O'Neill says Budinger should be the guy who gets the ball when the game is on the line.

At the same time, in his own good-natured way, Budinger's leadership skills could grow, too.

"I think Chase is going to be a good leader," said O'Neill, a UA assistant in the 1980s who returned this spring after 18 years at other schools and the NBA. "I don't know if he's in your face.

"Steve Kerr, when he was here, if he didn't like the way (Tom) Tolbert was playing, he'd say, 'I'm just not going to give you the ball. Go ahead, keep rebounding and running down the floor, but I'm not going to pass you the ball.' Steve was the ultimate leader.

"Chase is not at that level, obviously, but he leads by example and he's a guy I think our players listen to."
Instead, the UA has a trio of leaders this season â€â€￾ a fierce competitor in Jerryd Bayless, who is taking over for Shakur at point guard; a vocal, experienced veteran in wing Jawann McClellan; and the good-guy Budinger.
So far, heading into the season opener Tuesday against NAU, the combination appears to be working. O'Neill said he doesn't sense any current Wildcats are looking too far ahead.

"If you're going to be an NBA prospect, you, of course, think about the NBA," O'Neill said. "If you're sitting in class, you're probably thinking, 'I probably will enjoy the NBA more than school.' Things like that cross their minds. But from what I've seen, the guys do seem very focused on what they're supposed to do."

the original article