Chagaev

freedom1

Mentor
Ruslan Chagaev fights John "do ya wanna dance" Ruiz this coming Saturday.

From Eastside Boxing:

Chagaev/Ruiz: "The Quiet Man" Fights Eliminator Bout Against Chagaev on Saturday Night

13.11.06 - By Kirk Allen: Former heavyweight champion John Ruiz (41-6-1, 28 KO's) will return to the ring on Saturday night, when he fights Ruslan "White Tyson" Chagaev (21-0-1, 17 KOs) in a WBA elimination bout in Dusseldorf, Germany. The winner of the bout, will be the mandatory challenger for Nikolay Valuev, the WBA heavyweight champion.

Just last year, in December 2005, Ruiz narrowly lost his WBA heavyweight belt to Valuev, in a controversial majority decision ((scored 114-116, 113-116, and 114-114) loss in Germany. Strangely enough, Ruiz was both the busier fighter and the stronger puncher, often punishing the 7-foot Russian Valuev with combinations and powerful right hand shots.

However, the judges appeared to be more impressed with Valuev's more consistent work in the later rounds of the right, during which time Valuev landed mostly jabs. Since then, Ruiz has been inactive, possibly still upset about his decision loss to Valuev. Ruiz has since made changes to his training team, gone is Norman Stone, his Manager. In his place is Wilfried Sauerland, the German manager for Nikolay Valuev.

Chagaev, 28, is a short, 6'1" 230 lb., pressure fighter, originally from Uzbekistan, and who throws powerful hooks, often compared to great American fighters from the past, like Tyson and Frazier. However, Chagaev has limited experience, having mainly fought opposition from Europe. Still, though, Chagaev has had an easy time beating them, other than a close call with Vladimir Virchis in March 2006, when Chaegaev was taken the distance before winning a 12-round majority decision.

In his latest bout, Chagaev stopped Michael Sprott in the 8th round, on July 2006. While Chaegaev is short on experience, his awesome power makes him a formidable opponent for the 34-year-old Ruiz, who will likely have problems with Chagaev's busy style and excellent inside fighting ability.

Look for Ruiz to fight in his usual style; that is, two jabs thrown, followed by a clinch. The style, although ugly, is very effective against most heavyweights, especially the slower ones like Chagaev. I see this bout as an easy one for Ruiz, who will nullify Chagaev's inside work by clinching and wrestling him. Clearly, Chagaev is much more smaller heavyweight than Ruiz is accustomed to fighting, which will make Ruiz's wrestling/clinching work that much more easier for him.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Scary thought but I tend to agree with columnist. Against smaller heavies Ruiz's manaconda style is brilliant. Against a big puncher like Wlad he is staring up against the lights.....
smiley36.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Hopefully, Chagaev will pull a David Tua out of his hat and KO the Huggybear.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I disagree with the columnist. Inside fighters are successfuly against clinchers, they like getting close, it's the big guys Ruiz has had some success with because he neutralizes their reach and size. This is a good opportunity for Chagaev.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Ruiz 238(kept his shirt on can't see what he looks like body fat wise), Chageav 229, looks in reasonable shape for a heavyweight.

Bart

Hall of Famer
jaxvid said:
I disagree with the columnist. Inside fighters are successfuly against clinchers, they like getting close, it's the big guys Ruiz has had some success with because he neutralizes their reach and size. This is a good opportunity for Chagaev.

You tube has a few videos of Chagaev. He seems shorter than 6' tall and doesn't have a long reach, but he can punch. He has a dynamite left hand. If he can get inside, he should be able to do some real damage. He also doesn't appear to be in the best of shape, but looks can be deceiving.

Hockaday

Guru
Chagaev reminds me of that Sultan dude, with the same heavy hands. Chagaev appears to need less room to punch, which is a plus against a grabber like Ruiz. Here's hoping Chagaev can land the big one and put Ruiz
smiley31.gif
out of our misery.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Hockaday said:
Chagaev reminds me of that Sultan dude, with the same heavy hands. Chagaev appears to need less room to punch, which is a plus against a grabber like Ruiz. Here's hoping Chagaev can land the big one and put Ruiz
smiley31.gif
out of our misery.
Chageav won a squeeker. Scores were 117-111, 116-112 for Chagaev, 115-114 for Ruiz. Fightnews had Chagaev squeeking out the win at 115-113. From what I read on some boxing boards Chagaev had the better of the action early and stunned Ruiz badly twice. Then Ruiz did his greasy gay jello wrestling act in the second half of the fight and made the fight tight late....
smiley5.gif

Hockaday

Guru
Thanks for the update, WIR. Ruiz is a hard guy to hurt, so Chageav must have some real power. Good description of Ruiz's, ahem, style. Wish Jim Lampley could steal it and use it HBO.

How does "greasy gay jello wrestling act" sound in German, I wonder.

Gary

Mentor
Chagaev is a tough guy.I would rate him higher then Sultan Imbragov or Segri Lyahovich.

referendum

Mentor
Chagaev doesn't look very ethnic Russian to me. He looks Central Asian, so I'd guess he would be ethnically Uzbek, which makes sence as he's from Uzbekistan. I'm just wondering why he has been called the White Tyson, when he should be called the Central Asian Tyson.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
referendum said:
Chagaev doesn't look very ethnic Russian to me. He looks Central Asian, so I'd guess he would be ethnically Uzbek, which makes sence as he's from Uzbekistan. I'm just wondering why he has been called the White Tyson, when he should be called the Central Asian Tyson.

Maybe because central asians are considered white by almost everyone else but us?

G

Good lord! I see the vestigials of epicanthic fold on this mongrel...
0,1886,2626699,00.jpg

Sheesh, don't you know only mesocephalic Corded and Hallstatt Nordics with orthognathous profiles and Tat-C (haplogroup 16) frequency of less-than 5% are true Caucasoids!

You really need to brush up on your phrenology and eugenics, brother.

Tat-C_origin.jpeg

Tat-C_distribtion.jpeg

DeathWish109.jpeg

"Hello? Is this Charlie Bronson? Your test results are in...it turns out you're a Mongoloid! Sorry about that..."Edited by: JerveyGotGypped

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
JerveyGotGypped said:
"Hello? Is this Charlie Bronson? Your test results are in...it turns out you're a Mongoloid! Sorry about that..."

smiley36.gif
good one Jerv!

white is right

Hall of Famer
JerveyGotGypped said:
Good lord! I see the vestigials of epicanthic fold on this mongrel...
0,1886,2626699,00.jpg

Sheesh, don't you know only mesocephalic Corded and Hallstatt Nordics with orthognathous profiles and Tat-C (haplogroup 16) frequency of less-than 5% are true Caucasoids!

You really need to brush up on your phrenology and eugenics, brother.

Tat-C_origin.jpeg

Tat-C_distribtion.jpeg

DeathWish109.jpeg

"Hello? Is this Charlie Bronson? Your test results are in...it turns out you're a Mongoloid! Sorry about that..."
Is he white? Who knows is he caucasian a definite yes. It depends on whether you define white as European person or a caucasian. Those Western/Central Asians are tough sob's though. Many wrestling and weightlifting champions are from that region.

Well, the arguments over whether Chagaev is white or not can go on and on. I don't care. Why? Because he's certainly not black or 'latino', and the press will no doubt wail and cry that he's white. I consider him white. Other photos of him don't seem to have Chagaev exhibiting atavistic "Mongoloid" genes. But I've only seen a few pics.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Colonel Callan, I agree with you. I don't care. The media obviously has labeled Chagaev 'white' regardless of what we think. He'll be lumped into the group as another 'Russian' no matter where he's from anyway.

That's good enough for me.

jcolec02

Mentor
he is 3/4's white, 1/4 asian, his grandfather was a "tatar" the rest of his family was white...

Bart

Hall of Famer
jcolec02 said:
he is 3/4's white, 1/4 asian, his grandfather was a "tatar" the rest of his family was white...

Some Tatars have evidences of Asiatic blood and many others do not. I read that even among those having Asian genes it is estimated to be only at 15 %. So, it is likely that Chagaev is even more than 3/4 white,if it is true that his grandfather is is a Tartar who is probably mostly white. Professional tennis players Marat Safin and his sister Dinara are Tatars.

SafinMarat3.JPG

SAFINA_wta_ch_04_100.jpg
Edited by: Bart

white is right

Hall of Famer
Bart said:
jcolec02 said:

Some Tatars have evidences of Asiatic blood and many others do not. I read that even among those having Asian genes it is estimated to be only at 15 %. So, it is likely that Chagaev is even more than 3/4 white, if it is true that his grandfather is is a Tartar who is probably mostly white. Professional tennis players Marat Safin and his sister Dinara are Tatars.

alt="Marat Safin" hspace=6 src="http://www.radio-canada.ca/allosydney/olympiques/images /images_nouvelles/tennis/SafinMarat3.JPG" align=left vspace=4>

[IMG]height=130 alt="Russian tennis player Dinara Safina" src="http://tennisreporters.net/tr_net_photos_art/SAFINA_wta _ch_04_100.jpg" width=100>[/QUOTE] Many Tantars have intermarried with sorounding populations and their blood is a mix of East Asian and European. I have seen very few Tatars that look like Mongolians/Northern Chinese. At one time they were a significant minority group in the Ukraine before they were banished to the Urals by Stalin.