Chagaev vs. Drumond

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
On Feb 7th there will be a PPV from Germany with:

Ruslan Chagaev vs. Carl Davis Drumond (WBA heavyweight title)

Andreas Kotelnik vs. Marcus Rene Maidana (WBA Light Welterweight title)

Denis Boytsov vs. Israel Garcia

Looks like an excellent fightcard.
smiley20.gif

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
It's being shown live on TSN here in Canada.
smiley20.gif

There will likely be an internet stream as well. From fightnews:

presser

Unbeaten WBA heavyweight champion (in recess) Ruslan Chagaev (24-0-1, 17 KOs) and unbeaten challenger Carl Davis Drumond (26-0, 20 KOs) met for the first time today at a press conference held at a VW dealer in Rostock Germany. They will collide in a PPV showdown on Saturday at the StadtHalle in this beautiful Baltic city. This is Chagaev's first fight since recovering from an achilles tenden operation. With this fight against the WBA #9 rated Drumond, Chagaev plans to test his form and 'ring feel' in advance of his rematch with current titleholder, seven-foot 'Russian Giant' Nikolai Valuev.

"After my injury break, the long rehab, strength training and many, many training sessions without a break, I'm glad that I can return so quickly to the ring," stated Chagaev. "For 2009 and 2010, I have big plans. I am now fully fit and fully focused on this fight, which I clearly want to win!"

Trainer Michael Timm added, "Drumond is a strong opponent with a very good record, which is what we need. After his injury we couldn't train carefully and think we were being safe - we trained the 'full program.' Now Ruslan again has the old stability and above all the condition for this world championship fight. We need this hard test and wanted to face this strong opponent Drumond to lure out his fighting instincts. Ruslan needs real fights now - sparring is sparring, competition is competition!"

The challenger Drumond stated, "Of course I'm glad that I have the world title shot. I have focused very intensely on Chagaev and have something special for him. If I can only win here by KO, then that's what I'll do!"

In addition to the heavyweight championship, there is another world title on the line in Rostock as WBA super lightweight champion Andreas Kotelnik (30-2-1, 13 KOs) faces fearsome mandatory challenger Marcos René Maidana (25-0, 24 KOs) in what should be an explosive matchup. Both know each other well from the Universun Gym in Hamburg.

"This second title defense is special for me, said Kotelnik. "Not every fighter has a chance to box for a world championship. I will show that I'm the world champion and will remain [world champion]!"

"Andreas Kotelnik is the world champion, a very technically gifted boxer and very fast," said the 'KO Machine' Maidana. "But I absolutely want to take the belt to Argentina!"

In an interesting heavyweight matchup, Universum's unbeaten Denis Boytsov (23-0, 18 KOs) continues his rise against Israel 'King Kong' Garcia (19-2, 11 KOs) for the WBA Intercontinental belt. The 22-year-old Boytsov is rated #11 by by the WBA.

"My opponent has a funny nickname," commented Boystov. "He needs to show in the ring whether he is a 'King Kong.' My trainer Fritz Sdunek has me in great shape fit and I'll speak about my other goals after the fight!"

"I've had this name since I was an amateur. I was always a giant," explained Garcia. "Boytsov is a very hard puncher, whom I respect but do not fear."

Edited by: JD1986

j41181

Master
This Chagaev dude needs to make-up for lost time. He's been virtually injured for 2 years!!!

Pray he can stay injury-free the rest of the way.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Chagaev has been very inactive for a while now. He should be able to beat Drumond. I am picking Chagaev by UD.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Weigh-in Photos

Chagaev-vs-Drumond
RTEmagicC_chagaev_vs_drumond_01.jpg.jpg

Kotelnik-vs-Maidana
RTEmagicC_kotelnik_vs_maidana_02.jpg.jpg

Boytsov-vs-Garcia
RTEmagicC_boytsov_vs_garcia_01.jpg.jpg

Tereshkin-vs-Ntoh
RTEmagicC_tereshkin_vs_ntoh_01.jpg.jpg

smiley36.gif

Wach-vs-Ziausys
RTEmagicC_wach_vs_ziausys_01.jpg.jpg

Edited by: Blue Devils

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
So far Denis Boystov defeated his opponent by Ko in the second round. I am looking for a link to the fight. Anyone have one?

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
It was a technical decision. Chagaev had a bad cut from an accidental headbutt so they went to the cards. Chagaev was ahead by 2 points on two cards and 4 points on another. He is good but he should just avoid the Klitschko's. He has no chance there.

Sean

Mentor
whiteathlete33 said:
It was a technical decision. Chagaev had a bad cut from an accidental headbutt so they went to the cards. Chagaev was ahead by 2 points on two cards and 4 points on another. He is good but he should just avoid the Klitschko's. He has no chance there.

While I don't think anyone has good chances against the Klitschko's, Chagaev has possibly one of the better chances. He didn't look "great" tonight, showing some ring rust, and because of the cut. He still got the win, and has proven he can fight the big guys (he beat Valuev). The media will blast him for this fight, but it was a solid performance considering the other factors. Chagaev is definately a top level Heavyweight.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Did u watch the fight Sean?I was looking for streams but was unable to find any. Do you know where I can watch a replay of the fight?

Sean

Mentor
whiteathlete33 said:
Did u watch the fight Sean?I was looking for streams but was unable to find any. Do you know where I can watch a replay of the fight?

No, I didn't get to watch it, but I read about three or four different round by rounds, so I think I got a pretty good idea of what went on
smiley36.gif
There are pictures up on the Universum Boxing website, and will be highlights probably posted tommorrow. As I posted earlier, it seems Chagaev showed some ring rust, but was still ahead. Some people on other boards are acting like Drummond got robbed. Clash of heads, went to the cards, Chagaev won.
smiley32.gif

PS: It'll probably be on youtube soon athlete!

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Yeah, Chagaev won. But he did not look really good. In fact, he never really looks great but ekes out wins. He's in my corner so I'm glad but I won't hold a parade for him. I agree with 33, either Klitschko would stop him or box his ear drums deaf.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Highlights video:

Chagaev-Drumond

I was disappointed that Chagaev wasn't in top shape, he has a lot of fat around his waist. He doesn't seem to be dedicated to the sport, in contrast to Wlad.

However, Denis Boytsov appeared very fit and the strongest I've ever seen him today.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
This was a boring fight. Chagaev did not look in shape; Chagaev never seems to be in shape. Chagaev typically lands two good punches and then steps away, he never seems to want to sustain an extended flurry and finish off what he started like someone who is just trying to win rounds. We saw the same lazy Chagaev that won a sloppy and dull boxing match against another slug Matt Skelton.

Drumond looked like a sparring partner scared of the other man's power. He has some beef on him but under that beef is hidden a little frame and, of course, that is why he has a bit of speed but no power. He showed some boxing movement but showed very little skill in landing a punch. This is boxing after all and you have to land punches to succeed.

If either of these two fought a Klitschko they would embarrass themselves. Chagaev's head would look like an inverted speed bag against Wladimir; Vitali would pound him into the ground like a picket. After a few jabs from Wladimir, Drumond's eyes would start rapidly blinking and twitching and his first knockdown would come before two minutes, and if he made it to his first resting period, he would start begging his cornermen to stop the slaughter. If Drumond was ever matched up with Vitali, he would wet himself before the fight started, and when Vitali stamps his foot, Drumond would jump over the ropes and run back to the change room screaming with the crowd laughing and slapping their thighs.