Chagaev To Fight Skelton

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Skelton's dream date with Chagaev in sight
Source: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/ by Ron Lewis

Matt Skelton, the former kickboxer who took up boxing only in his mid-30s, is on the verge of getting a dream shot at the world heavyweight title. Negotiations are close to completion for the Commonwealth champion to face Ruslan Chagaev, of Uzbekistan, who won the WBA title from Nikolay Valuev. The bout will probably take place in Germany, where Chagaev is based, with February or March the likely date.

It will be a big turnaround for Skelton, who will be 41 in January, because he has boxed only once in the past 16 months. That bout was a drab points win over Michael Sprott, of England, at the O2 Arena in July, a contest that, despite his win, seemed to wreck the hopes of Skelton, a former British champion, getting a world-title shot.

He had been nominated to challenge Alexander Dimitrenko, a 6ft 7in Ukrainian, for the vacant European title and had been due to have an eight-round contest on the undercard of Joe Calzaghe's bout with Mikkel Kessler in Cardiff three weeks ago. But when the chance of facing Chagaev appeared he was withdrawn from the Cardiff bout to avoid risk of injury.

Chagaev, 29, has been inactive since beating Valuev, the 7ft Russian, on a majority points decision in Stuttgart in April. He had been due to face Sultan Ibragimov, the WBO champion, of Russia, in a title unification bout in Moscow last month but withdrew when it was discovered that he was suffering from hepatitis B, a condition from which he has recovered.

In the present generation of giant heavyweights, Chagaev, at 6ft 1in, seems a midget. When training for his bout with Valuev, his trainer, Michael Timm, would stand on a box to simulate punching upwards. But his lack of stature also makes Chagaev potentially vulnerable to the often ugly, brawling style of the 6ft 3in Skelton.

The unbeaten Chagaev does have an excellent grounding, though. He won the world amateur title at super-heavyweight in 2001 and beat Félix Savón, the great Cuban triple Olympic champion, in the heavyweight final in 1997, although he was stripped of the gold medal and banned for a year when it was discovered that he had boxed in two bouts as a professional in the United States.

It is interesting that only Chagaev is mentioned as short at 6,1 (compared to the Klitschkos or Valuev), while Skelton is only 2 inches taller at 6,3.

Chagaev is one of the top 3 or 4 heavyweights in the world. He has a great amateur pedigree that includes Olympic medals. He has a neck as thick as his thighs, high amperage power in both hands, walks in the ring ready to fight 15 rounds if need be, and fights only to win. He is a formidable opponent even for the Klitschkos.

Matt Skelton has poor boxing skills as he has learned his trade in a haphazard manner. He even has fought in the MMA circuit. He once fought a big hairy white man nicknamed "the cat". The fight lasted a few seconds. "The cat" put Skelton on his back before he could count to five and choked him with one hand around Skelton's neck below his chin the same way bullies choke little guys -except Skelton is not a little guy. Skelton squirmed and tapped and grabbed his throat as if he had just been choked or something.

Skelton's record looks alright at 22-1 except when you read it. The names of his opponents read like a list of who's who of the nobodies. He has fought the human punching bag, Danny Williams, twice and they each have a win. The only reason Skelton is listed anywhere as a top 10 heavyweight is the individuals making the ratings charts want to include a black. The boxing organizations rate a Klutz like Skelton in the top 10 so that the promoters have a black fighter they can match up against a white fighter and it will not look as embarassingly obvious that the black fighter is just a plant.

Chagaev will knock Skelton out in less than 8 rounds. Not much thought needs to go into that prediction.

Edited by: Maple Leaf

G

Skelton, another "Briton" by way of the Congo.
MattSkelton.jpg
ww
Edited by: werewolf

white is right

Hall of Famer
The most interesting thing about this fight is that Skeleton is a former K1 fighter. He is probably the first K1 fighter to fight for a major boxing belt. Otherwise this fight will be a mismatch.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Chagaev has to be careful in this one, because Skelton is one of the dirtiest and trickiest fighters. As far as boxing skills go, Ruslan is far better, but Skelton has been known to cut opponents with head butts, hold and punch, and punch/push at the same time to score a knockdown.

There's an example Skelton's push/punch combination in his McDermott fight on YouTube.

JD074

Master
Actually, I thought the Chagaev/ Ruiz fight was pretty close. Chagaev won the middle rounds handily, and that was the difference, but Ruiz was pretty good in the beginning and end of the fight. I didn't score it, but I would guess about 8 rounds to 4 for Chagaev.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
JD074 said:
Actually, I thought the Chagaev/ Ruiz fight was pretty close. Chagaev won the middle rounds handily, and that was the difference, but Ruiz was pretty good in the beginning and end of the fight. I didn't score it, but I would guess about 8 rounds to 4 for Chagaev.

That fight was close, it looked like 7 or 8 rounds for Chagaev to 4 or 5 for Ruiz, although it's not possible to accurately score a fight from a small, somewhat hazy YouTube video. Ruiz holding and leaning seemed to tire Ruslan out toward the end.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
JD074 said:

That fight was close. It looked like 7 or 8 rounds for Chagaev to 4 or 5 for Ruiz, although it wasn't possible for me to accurately score the fight from the small and somewhat hazy YouTube videos. Ruiz holding and leaning seemed to tire Ruslan out toward the end.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Chagaev looks tough and weighed in at 229 today. Skelton was 254. Chagaev should KO Skelton. He is the second best heavyweight and should fight the winner of Wlad-Ibragimov.

By the way, there were some questions on another thread about his ethnicity. Here is what I found:

"Chagaev's parents, Shamil and Zamira Chagaev, are from the Tatar village of Kalda, Barysh, Ulyanovsk Oblast, Russia, who moved to Uzbekistan in the 1950s."

Maple Leaf

Mentor
We whites consider those with Tatarian lineage priviledged and noble. The Tatars were great mobile warriors; their equestrian feats are legendary. And, to all of those uninformed motor-mouths, no: Tatars are not oriental.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
I agree. You cannot look at Chagaev and think he is not white. Too may Americans equate "white" with being only from northern Europe. Besides, how many 230 pound Asians do you know?

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Liverlips said:
I agree. You cannot look at Chagaev and think he is not white. Too may Americans equate "white" with being only from northern Europe. Besides, how many 230 pound Asians do you know?

The white race may have originated in southern Russia, around the north slopes of the Caucasus Mountains, in or near the areas where the Tatars, Chechens, Georgians and Avars have their homelands.

IMO Chagaev's a white guy, and I hope he KOs Skelton, who's one of the dirtiest boxers.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Many of the same people that say Chagaev is not white will tell you Spaniards, Portoguese, and Italians are not white. They will even tell you that the ancient Egyptians were black. Now who is colour blind?

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Chagaev is white. My parents originated from Poland and told me the stories about Russians. They are very hearty people and have been through alot. Power to them. Skelton gets knocked today.

Sean

Mentor
Maple Leaf said:
Many of the same people that say Chagaev is not white will tell you Spaniards, Portoguese, and Italians are not white. They will even tell you that the ancient Egyptians were black. Now who is colour blind?

This is a little off topic, but I will never forget a post made on eastside boxing that called for white fans to quit claiming the Klitschko brothers were white. They are not white....they're European!

smiley5.gif

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Anybody who wants to watch this fight, there's a link:

Go to: boxingscene.com

then to: non-stop boxing forum

to the thread: Skelton vs. Chagaev sopcast/webcast?

go to page 2, scroll down to second post by "Moofo" (he posts it incorrectly the first time, then gets it right the second time)

and there's the link!

The broadcast starts in two hours, 1 pm Pacific or 4 pm Eastern time, so there must be another fight showing first - either Boytsov or Bidenko.Edited by: JD1986

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the directions to the link JD!

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Chagaev needs to step to his right so he can land that straight left. He gets too close and can't do anything. In the 5th Skelton looks tired.