Chagaev out, Holyfield in vs Ibragimov

G

Chagaev withdraws from the WBA-WBO unification with Ibragimov, and is replaced with Holyfield for a simple WBO title defense.

Lol, they want to give Holyfield the belt to save face, don't they?

I'll relish it even more when Holyfield goes down. What an upset that would be!

G

I suspect something like that is what happened. Ibragimov was probably offered more money to fight Holyfield.

This is a TKO win for Ibragimov.

referendum

Mentor
I'm disappointed that another opportunity for a unification fight has been lost, but glad to see Ibragimov fight a big name opponent, albeit one who is past his best boxing days. Also, I'm guessing the fight will garner more press coverage in the US than a Ibragimov-Chagaev bout. Lets see if the unbeaten streak of the top five Russian/Ukrainian boxers (Klitschko, Valuev, Chagaev, Ibragimov, Maskaev) against black American boxers can continue. Right now its something like 18-0.

freedom1

Mentor
I think this is great news. It prevents two white brothers from fighting, and allows black hero Holyfield to be defeated by a white man.

I hope Ibragimov's people will be careful in terms of their fighter being drugged. We've seen it before.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
You really, really have to hope that Ibragimov doesn't get knocked out on some kind of fluke or that he doesn't lose the fight because of a cut. Holyfield is notorious for head butting. What has Holyfield done to deserve a title shot?

I smell a rat.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Sultan is the perfect height for Holyfield to cut over the eye with a head butt. And he's a southpaw, so it won't be difficult for Evander to bring their heads together, and create a serious cut along the bone that's over and to the right of Sultan's right eye.

But if Sultan's ahead on the scorecards after it starts to badly bleed, it will be a TD win for him, not Holyfield (same as in Wlad vs Williamson).

G

I like Freedom 1's points, but aside from that I think this is bullsh*t. Holyfield has done nothing to deserve a title shot. What about all the guys up in the top 10, top 20, top 30? Why aren't they getting the title shot?

ww

speedster

Mentor
Chagaev took some step-aside money and Ibragimov got a bigger payday. Next the fight will be moved to the good old U.S.where Holyfield will be provided with a loving home crowd,a media with a stiff hard-on for negro affletes,three of the best American judges to prevent Evander from getting screwed and a friendly negro ref so Holyfield can "do what he has to do".Brag will have his work cut out for him in this one and will literally have to kill Evander to get the win.The Evander Holyfield promotional tour has officially started and won't end until the titles are uninfied and boxing has been saved by the only man capable for the job and that is the ultra-superior black afflete.How sweet.

This whole scenario is a bit suspiscious to me. Not to sound like conspiracy theorist but I believe a "fix" may very well be in. If Holyfield wins, I believe the fight may have very well been fixed.

G

Hockaday said:
How many more trips to the pharmacy can Holyfied's body take?

That boy is a walking advertisement for long-term steroid abuse!

The Sultan needs to talk to the K brothers and watch his pre-fight food and water very carefully.

The Sultan should be able to easily move in and out and beat up on him.

ww

G

speedster said:
The Evander Holyfield promotional tour has officially started and won't end until the titles are uninfied and boxing has been saved by the only man capable for the job and that is the ultra-superior black afflete.How sweet.

The only one unifying the heavyweight division - and really, aside from all the alphabet crap - it's unified already - and everybody knows who the real heavyweight champ is - and steroid boy doesn't even want to be on the same continent as him, let alone in the same ring.

rrb

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
werewolf a truer sentence hasnt been said.there is only one champ. we all know who he is. doesnt matter what they say.

JD074

Master
I'm not worried about this fight at all, but it would really suck if an old, over the hill black fighter beat one of the champions. Go Sultan!!

Bart

Hall of Famer
I haven't followed the story of alleged steroiduseby Holyfield, but this item at Wiki is interesting.

Allegations of Steroid Use

On February 28, 2007, Holyfield was anonymously linked to a pharmacy in Alabama that is currently under investigation for steroid use. He denies ever using performance enhancers.<SUP id=_ref-0 ="reference">[1]</SUP> Ironically, Holyfield's name does not appear in the law enforcement documents reviewed. However, a patient by the name of "Evan Fields" caught investigators' attention. "Fields" shares the same birth date as Holyfield -- Oct. 19, 1962. The listed address for "Fields" was 794 Evander, Fairfield, Ga. 30213. Holyfield has a very similar address. When the phone number that, according to the documents, was associated with the "Fields" prescription, was dialed, Holyfield answered.<SUP id=_ref-1 ="reference">[2]</SUP> On March 10, 2007 Holyfield made a public announcement that he would be pursuing his own investigation into the steroid claims in order to clear his name.<SUP id=_ref-2 ="reference">[3]</SUP>

Edited by: Bart

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
I would not worry about Oldyfield beating Ibragimov. Also, the fight is in Russia, so Sultan will not be on the wrong end of a hometown decision.

I just hope the fight is televised in the U.S. so Sultan can make more of a name for himself.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Haha, "Oldyfield," that's good. Seriously though, Evander seems like a "nicer" overall person than many of the previous black HW champs. Also, I admire the way he fought much larger men and still overcame. This (like most fights involving a white fighter) is a LOSE-LOSE situation for Ibragimov. If he wins, all he did was beat-up on grandpa. If he loses, he loses the belt, and THEY will all say that white boxers are all garbage and can be beaten by even the oldest black contenders. People like you and I may recognize how moronic this fundamental truth may be...but does anybody else?

white is right

Hall of Famer
PitBull said:
"Evan Fields"? Why not "Dale Mexico"?
That name was already taken....
smiley36.gif
smiley2.gif

JD074

Master
Thrashen said:
If he loses, he loses the belt, and THEY will all say that white boxers are all garbage and can be beaten by even the oldest black contenders.

Exactly. It would be an embarrassment. But Sultan is no club fighter. He's no insurance salesman "moonlighting" as a boxer. Holyfield is going to have a heckuva time embarrassing us in this fight!

G

Chagaev appears to have hepatitis B and may surrender the WBA belt.