CBS ranks the bigs: I want some input...

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Sure, we have some classic caste cliches, what's new? But, what's more interesting is 5 out of the top 10 are White, but I only see 4 White athletes out of the next 20 players listed. It doesn't add up.

I think this guy is going to get owned.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/11058854

Point No. 2: These rankings are not based on NBA potential. I can't stress that enough. An NBA general manager would clearly take Hasheem Thabeet over Tyler Hansbrough, but no college coach would, and that's how I ranked the players. Put another way, these rankings are designed to reflect what I think of these prospects as college basketball players, which is why somebody's status as a "future lottery pick" doesn't carry much weight if they aren't also bigtime college performers. Likewise, if somebody is great in college I don't care if they might be too short to play in the NBA. I'm not drafting for the NBA here. I'm ranking college basketball players

9. A.J. Ogilvy (Vanderbilt)
Why he's here: Ogilvy won't impress anybody with his athleticism, but the guy is crafty and smart and good at using his body to create angles and opportunities. He averaged 17.0 points and 6.8 rebounds for the Commodores last season and might be asked to do more now that Shan Foster is no longer around.

10. DeJuan Blair (Pittsburgh)
Why he's here: Blair isn't just a big body with a big smile. He averaged 11.6 points and 9.1 rebounds last season and should be among the best sophomores in the country.

"At least" Ogilvy is ranked above DeJuan! Amazing what "non athletes" can do...

The next 20:

11. Derrick Brown (Xavier) 18. Cole Aldrich (Kansas) 25. DeMarre Carroll (Missouri)
12. Samardo Samuels (Louisville) 19. Jarvis Varnado (Mississippi State) 26. Luke Babbitt (Nevada)
13. Al-Farouq Aminu (Wake Forest) 20. JaMychal Green (Alabama) 27. Josh Heytvelt (Gonzaga)
14. Jordan Hill (Arizona) 21. Jeff Pendergraph (Arizona State) 28. Connor Atchley (Texas)
15. Greg Monroe (Georgetown) 22. Delvon Roe (Michigan State) 29. Arinze Onuaku (Syracuse)
16. Trevor Booker (Clemson) 23. Jerome Jordan (Tulsa) 30. Craig Brackins (Iowa State)
17. Taj Gibson (Southern California) 24. Robert Dozier (Memphis)

If Cole Aldrich stays healthy and isn't screwed by the coaches (my fear), then even the Caste media won't be able to deny his "talent" and physical prowess. Underrated at #18, for sure.

Interesting how Whites are bunched up from #26 to #28?

He says this "big" list is supposed to consist of centers and power forward-types.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
This proves the recruiting bias just as there is one in football. Whites can be the best, but they can't be numerous. They've got to give the brothers as many scholarships as they can give.

There are few white DEs compared to black ones in the NFL, but the 4 starters in the pro-bowl last year were white.

Wes Welker can lead the league in yards after catch last year, yet whites are only about 10% of WRs! And Welker was almost cut by Nick Saban. And Ed McCaffrey, despite his greatness, didn't start until he was over 30 years old
smiley11.gif

And there are few white guards in the NBA. Whites can sometimes be described as athletic if they are big, but not small.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Hansborough is athletic enough when you count his basketball IQ, great finesse, hands, passing and tenacious fight for it all rebounding, that he could be a starting PF in the NBA, despite him being undersized. He's certainly an above average athlete for an NBA PF. Hanbourough should be a top 15 pick, probably a top 12, but will somehow fall into the 20s. It's enough to make you sick. And somehow athletic freak SG Chase Budinger is barely in the lottery considerations. He has been pretty darn productive and has a lot of upside when you consider he was mostly focused on volleyball in high school. It's just mind baffling!
smiley5.gif

The facts of the existence of a caste system speak for themselves!

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
A year ago Budinger was ranked as high as 5th or so on some websites. He is now at 12 on nbadraft.net. Check out some of his bio.Strengths: Has excellent size and athleticism for the NBA 2-guard positionHere they are stating he's an excellent athlete. Now when we go to weaknesses. Weaknesses: Defensively he lacks great lateral quickness and foot speed ..What the hell is that? So he's too slow on defense?

On the plus side he did receive a 10 in athleticism and 8 in quickness.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
ToughJ.Riggins said:
This proves the recruiting bias just as there is one in football. Whites can be the best, but they can't be numerous. They've got to give the brothers as many scholarships as they can give.

There are few white DEs compared to black ones in the NFL, but the 4 starters in the pro-bowl last year were white.

Wes Welker can lead the league in yards after catch last year, yet whites are only about 10% of WRs! And Welker was almost cut by Nick Saban. And Ed McCaffrey, despite his greatness, didn't start until he was over 30 years old
smiley11.gif

And there are few white guards in the NBA. Whites can sometimes be described as athletic if they are big, but not small.

You make some good points.

I think more White bigs are going to make an impact, but he just doesn't want to acknowledge them (especially if they play for a "mid major" program). He probably thinks they are ducking the "competition" when they are merely going a route that usually will allow them more playing time to develop their skills. Also, some of these athletes only received offers from mid major schools.

I think some Whites at big programs are bound to "surprise" as well. Also, Luke Babbitt and Connor Atchley might be more small forward than power forward.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
as usual, this list is woefully lacking.

first of all, even though two of the freshmen included are white, including freshmen on a list of this sort is completely ridiculous. who knows how any frosh will react when they aren't the big fish in a small pond anymore? all these fish are big, too. so frosh should be on a separate list if he's so in love with them.

secondly, listing Jon Brockman at #7 is absurdly low. he is the best returning rebounder in the nation! Brockman out-scored 1st-round pick Kevin Love last year. he out-rebounded Love, as well. Brockman is easily one of the top 3 big men in America, along with Hansbrough and Harangody.

of course, that only matters if one is going on facts and production. i guess to rightly include all three white men at the top wouldn't be "sexy" enough or something.
smiley5.gif
and apparently "potential" or some other nebulous factor is important, because many of the dudes on the list don't put up eye-popping numbers.

of the many superb white big men it doesn't include:

John Bryant from Santa Clara who led the West Coast Conference in rebounding (10 per game) and blocked shots (2.3 per) while leading his team in scoring (18.0 per).

Utah's 7-footer Luke Nevill who averaged 15.2 points and 6.7 boards last season.

Goran Suton from Michigan State who was second in the Big Ten in rebounding a year ago (8.2 per) while chipping in almost 10 points-per-game.

Matt Howard from Butler who last year was the Freshman of the Year in his conference and averaged over 12 points and 5.5 rebounds per game despite coming off the bench for much of the year.

Aron Baynes from Washington State who likely led the Pac-10 in dunks a year ago while shooting 60% from the floor. and despite playing for a very balanced team, averaged over 10 points and 6 boards.

small-school big man Scott VanderMeer (7-feet, 255-pounds) is the all-time leading shot-blocker in Illinois-Chicago history after just two seasons. he's averaged 3 blocks-per-game for his career thus far, and led his conference in rebounding a year ago (7.5).

there are many other big-producing bigs i'm sure i've missed. but if "athleticism" or some other factor is an essential criteria, then Josh Heytvelt should obviously be listed higher. he's one of the best leapers in college basketball. but who knows what it takes to be on the list, so i give up.
smiley2.gif