caste matchups for week twelve

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
celticdb15 said:
I saw that Beasley had some great snags in the 4th quarter. Almost on cue the Welker comparisions from the anounncers started pouring in. I do remember one of the announcers saying "that there is a place in the NFL for guys like Beasley."

Yeah, I remember one play where Beasley made a terrific one-handed catch, and the announcer said: "I wonder if he watched film of Wes Welker on how to make that catch."
smiley29.gif

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Katz might be out for a little bit, and RS Frosh QB Cody Vaz is coming in for the Beavers.

Riddlewire

Master
It's no wonder that Oregon has been so successful this year. Their receivers hold on almost every play.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
the White receivers for Boise State are very involved in the offense today, including tight end. Kyle Efaw already has two touchdown catches.

also, it's amazing how little Boise State is mentioned by the media folks now that they have one loss ...

and to Riddlewire, i never thought about Boise's role in the whole interracial matriomonial escapade like that. you make a really good point.

Riddlewire

Master
Jimmy Chitwood said:
<div>and to Riddlewire, i never thought about Boise's role in the whole interracial matriomonial escapade like that. you make a really good point.</div>

I made the point here a few years ago (whenever it happened, I guess) that it had to be set up ahead of time. The camera didn't follow Johnson on his sprint from the endzone to the cheerleader section, they cut to a camera that was already waiting there. So it was planned out between Johnson, Peterson, and ABC. I mention Peterson because he would have to have given his OK, since cameras ALWAYS immediately cut to the winning head coach at the end of a bowl game, without exception.
I cheered for Virginia Tech to start the season. Nevada's victory was the highlight of the college football season for me.

emt1

Guru
well looks like tcu is going to get the shaft this year....it'll be oregon vs auburn in the national championship, 2 afrolete black quarterbacks with "room brightening" smiles will be going head to head...I bet the DWF's will be quivering with delight at this matchup.....god, i don't think i'll even watch this mess of a game....oh well there's always division 2.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
With Niles Paul out, Nebraska starts another WR tonight in Tim Marlowe. Senior Joe Broekemeier is also getting a lot of reps.

Highlander

Mentor
Interesting...10 of 11 Offensive players on Nebraska's last TD against OU were White, while 10 of 11 of Oklahoma's players on Defense were black.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Matt Szczur ended up with 68 yards on 9 carries, and 128 yards on 11 receptions in the game against Stephen F Austin. Villanova won goin away 54-24, scoring 40 unanswered points.

TwentyTwo

Master
How bout Danny Coale "Burner"- Virginia Tech 6 rec 143 yds; including a 45 yardTD! vs Florida State Edited by: TwentyTwo

Highlander

Mentor
Dang, Nebraska lost. Can't turn the ball over 4 times to OU and expect to win. Burkhead led all rushers with 16 for 90 and a TD. Looked great running the "Wildcat". Will be interesting to see if Martinez leaves the program as some rumors say.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Nebraska goes down to Oklahoma in a hard-fought game 23-20. Burkhead had a great game overall, Martinez, not so much. Having seen Taylor Martinez early in the season before he got hurt, I noticed right away that he has no "wheels". The turf-toe (sprained great toe, really) and his high-ankle sprain took away most of his speed and all of his moves. On one 3rd down play in the 4th quarter, he took off toward his left side, early in the season, healty, he would have continued for the corner, turned on the jets and it would have been huge. In this contest he runs, meekly turns upfield and is tackled for a yard or two gain. It was hard to watch.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
I don't trust Pelini.. for example, how long before the D-line is coal-black?

Congrats to Landry Jones! I guess OU can win without Bradford..

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Yeah, no one mentioned the "odd" play-call in the latter part of the 4th quarter.. the Burkhead pass to Martinez that should have been picked-off (it was right in the OU guy's hands).

Then a sack occurred and they had to punt.. they were only down by 3 and were nearing field goal range -- so that was a "weird" call.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Deadlift said:
I don't trust Pelini.. for example, how long before the D-line is coal-black?

Congrats to Landry Jones! I guess OU can win without Bradford..

I think it'll be a few years yet, they got two DE's and a DT in last year's class, and a DE this year. Plus, there's a good looking DT prospect coming in Nebraska last year.

Borussia

Guru
Substandard night for Nebraska's offense. Martinez looked awful frankly. The INT in the end zone was a turning point. Just an absolutely terrible decision. About the very last thing a QB should do there. I'm surprised Pelini didn't kindly remove his head from his body after that one...Bo must be on some valium now.
Sorry to break this to NU fans (and I am one), Taylor Martinez can NOT throw the ball. Run it? yes, but not effectively with his evident injuries this past month or so.
OU played a great game overall, especially in the 2nd half. Landry Jones is a very solid QB. What's his prognosis for the NFL?

OU's defense just manhandled NU in the 2nd half. Too many mistakes and Martinez is way too green for such a game. Looked like Helu was injured as well.
Burkhead kept them in the game..and if Taylor M. could've made some throws to people, who knows?

Pelini is fine as coach. It is the QB situation that needs answering.
I was truly surprised they didn't go to the backup by the 4th Quarter.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Right now, Landry Jones is a Sophomore. Another year or two, and he could definitely develop into NFL material.

I could see him being drafted somewhere between the 1st and 3rd rounds.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
I agree that at this point, Taylor Martinez is not good throwing the ball against a quality opponent, especially when there is little threat of him running. However, keep in mind that he is a true freshman, and was primarily a running "dual threat" QB in high school as well. The most surprising thing is that he was the starter all year for the Cornhuskers, right out of high school. He has a lot of time to learn, and being that he most likely doesn't suffer from the IQ barrier that most of his fellow dual-threat QB's have, I think that he will develop well, and be a good passer eventually.