caste matchups for week twelve

referendum

Mentor
An abbreviated list for the last week, as many teams are already done.

Fresno St 12 Ill 4
Pitt 11 Cinc 8
Conn 7 South Flor 3
Va Tech 7 Flor St 4
Wash St 13 Wash 8
SMU 10 Cent Flor7
Nebraska 13 Okl 7

Kind of sad that this is the last Nebraska Oklahoma meeting in which they are in the same conference. Also, next year at this time I believe we will be having Pac 10 and Big 10 conference championship games as well.
I'll be rooting for a Oregon vs TCU championship game, or what would be really great, a Wisconsin TCU matchup if both Oregon and Auburn lost.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
referendum said:
Nebraska 13 Okl 7

Kind of sad that this is the last Nebraska Oklahoma meeting in which they are in the same conference.
One of the underlying reasons for the defection of Nebraska from the Big 12 was the dissolution of the long-standing rivalry between the two schools. The Big 12 was not smart enough to see the importance of this once-huge rivalry to the health of the conference. The Big 10, however, is not making the same mistake. Although Ohio State and Michigan will be in different divisions within the conference, like Nebraska and Oklahoma in the Big 12, they have made a point to continue the rivalry and schedule home-and-home in perpetuity.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I hope Nebraska beats Oklahoma and has success in the Big 10. It will be interesting to see what happens to the Big 12 in the future. I still miss the old SWC days.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
All of that running by the black quarterback and RB from IL did them no good! That puts the fighting Zooks at an even .500 on the year. Awesome!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I don't know about y'all, but I'm more than ready to see Zach Line and Co. play against the vaunted UCF run defense. It should be a good game and I hope Southern Methodist kicks tail and wins the C-USA title.

referendum

Mentor
Too bad the Illini didn't lose a few more games. At 6-6 I'm guessing Zooks job is safe for now. I did notice some white players committing to the Illini for next season, so maybe he's starting to learn something from his Big 10 experiences (hint to Zook, try to make your team look more like Ohio St and less like Mississippi).

Did anyone notice if Fresno State's Devon Wylie, a white WR from my neck of the woods was on the field at all?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I didn't watch much of the game, ref, but I know he didn't have any stats last night.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
The announcer from the Pitt game just laid into Dom DeCicco for missing a tackle, saying:"I don't know why he's celebrating a good hit, he's gotta make that tackle." As if blacks never celebrate big hits and even routine tackles every play.

Anyway, SMU and Zach Line are on ESPN2 against UCF right now.Edited by: Jack Lambert

referendum

Mentor
Just for rooting purposes, if somehow both Auburn and Oregon were to lose today, would Wisconsin end up playing TCU for the mythical national championship?

Riddlewire

Master
Geez.
Has Padron ever heard of an audible?
If UCF has a four man front and brings all three LBs into the gaps showing blitz, you might not want to stick with the inside handoff for a 1 yard loss each time.
Although that's pretty much been the story all season. Line has had to manufacture almost every yard he has gotten.

northwinds

Mentor
The announcers for the SMU/CFU game are giving Zach Line high praise after he broke off a 23 yard run......leads the conference in rushing, will probably be the second leading rusher in SMU history behind Eric Dickerson after today.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
northwinds said:
The announcers for the SMU/CFU game are giving Zach Line high praise after he broke off a 23 yard run......leads the conference in rushing, will probably be the second leading rusher in SMU history behind Eric Dickerson after today.

Zach Line is a great Sophomore RB, but he isn't at that point yet, if you are talking about career numbers. If you are talking about the Southern Methodist record for rushing in a single season, then Zach is already there. The person below Dickerson ('81-1,428, '82-1,617) on the single season list is Kincade ('03-1,280). Zach has 1,297 yards right now, so he is in the third position right now, with only Dickerson ahead of him. Zach could end up beating Dickerson's '81 total in the bowl game, if not today.

If Zach can get 65 more yards this season, he'll be in the top 20 all time in rushing for the Mustangs. Craig James is number 3 on that all time rushing list.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Margus Hunt is getting talked up about his size and athleticism!! I did hear one of the announcers call UCFS Bruce Miller "an effort player". If he's an effort player he is a damn good one because they later contradicted themselves revealing that Miller was the C-USA Defensive Player of the Year in 2009. SMU has potential but June needs to recruit more "blue collar type guys" if he wants to be succesful
smiley2.gif

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Padron hasn't looked good at all today, he's been getting pressured the whole game, of course his "star" reciever Alrdrick Robinson losing a battle with the UCF CB for the ball didn't help either.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
White cornerback Chris Castro is in the game now for SMU ... keep an eye out for #13.

Riddlewire

Master
Padron looked terrible to start the season and he has looked terrible today.
At least he had a good middle...

northwinds

Mentor
@ColReb: You are correct......I meant that Zach Line is closing in on second place for single-season rushing at SMU.....that's what the announcers were talking about and comparing his numbersto Eric Dickerson's

Riddlewire

Master
All of Jones's backups must have quit this morning.
It was obvious early on that Padron's ankle (and his head) were hurting his performance. He should've been replaced at halftime.Edited by: Riddlewire

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Well, that was one of the worst performances I've seen by a White QB in a college game in quite a while. Padron just crumbled in the 4th quarter. Those last few minutes were agonizing. He didn't have a lot of help from his offensive line, but he was dumb with the football. Jones made some strange decisions too. Sad way for Southern Methodist to play in a championship game. I hope they do better in their bowl game. Zach Line finishes the game with 19 runs for a game high 97 yards.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Padron had receivers open, but even when he made the right read and threw it to an open wideout it was behind them and allowed the defensive back to make a play on the ball. that was a tough game for SMU fans.

i was surprised that Jones kept slinging the ball around with Padron playing so poorly. Line was running effectively, even though he never got into a rhythm with his sporadic touches. i thought SMU could've kept running iton the vaunted UCF run defense ...

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Jimmy Chitwood said:
<div></div>
<div>i was surprised that Jones kept slinging the ball around with Padron playing so poorly. Line was running effectively, even though he never got into a rhythm with his sporadic touches. i thought SMU could've kept running iton the vaunted UCF run defense ...</div>

Me too, JC. Line could have done more if given more touches. Sometimes I don't understand what coaches are thinking and sometimes I'm glad I don't.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
I saw that Beasley had some great snags in the 4th quarter. Almost on cuethe Welker comparisions from the anounncers started pouring in. I do remember one of the announcers saying "that there is a place in the NFL for guys like Beasley."