Caste Football All Time Busts List

Bucky

Hall of Famer
We got the ball rolling in the long standing recent BUSTS thread. Now it’s time to narrow down the candidates fellas. Feel free to throw out more names.

So far we’ve got nominated:

QB: Jamarcus Russell

RB: Trent Richardson

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
There's an amazing number of candidates just at WR. Two that quickly come to mind are Laquon Treadwell and N'Keal Harry. Hasn't every single wide receiver taken in the early rounds over the past decade by The Genius turned out to be a bust?

Warhawk_46

Master
John Ross

That DE from from Ohio State a decade back… looked like Superman played like a mouse. Forget his name…

Never forget that juggernaut from Georgia, the supamang Johnathan Sullivan. The Saints picked him as the sixth pick in the first round, after giving up two lower 1st round picks to move up to 6. He was more concerned about ice cream treats than actually working for a living. Defensive tackle.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
There's an amazing number of candidates just at WR. Two that quickly come to mind are Laquon Treadwell and N'Keal Harry. Hasn't every single wide receiver taken in the early rounds over the past decade by The Genius turned out to be a bust?
There are quite a few candidates at the RB position as well. I couple up your way from Penn State. Blair Thomas, maybe, and Ki Jana Carter, Penn State as well.
The only player to win two Heisman Trophies, RB Archie Griffin, Ohio State.
I'm sure there's quite a few more RB's that have been colossal busts.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
There are quite a few candidates at the RB position as well. I couple up your way from Penn State. Blair Thomas, maybe, and Ki Jana Carter, Penn State as well.
Those two Penn Staters were colossal busts indeed.

Bucky started this thread and I may be wrong but my impression is that we're going back only the past decade for all-time busts as that's when the busts thread was started on CF. The ratio of Black to White busts in the last ten years is something on the order of 20:1, much higher than the ratio of Blacks drafted as compared to Whites.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Up to y’all on when to draw the line! So many Busts we might have to break em down by decade!

jphoss

Mentor
Up to y’all on when to draw the line! So many Busts we might have to break em down by decade!
So many to choose from! I would think narrowing it to this past decade would make it easier and highlight the BUSTS. I further nominate Dee Milliner, another bama bust. Not even his oily hips could save this cb from being an all time bust

jphoss

Mentor
I believe that is Vernon Gholston
For fun I looked up his pre-draft analysis and it couldn’t be more wrong. First it starts in a weird homoerotic way talking about his “V shaped torso, defined muscle, and thick thighs and calves”. Then goes over all his strengths which takes multiple paragraphs. But the best part is when listing his weaknesses the scout puts- “null”!

white is right

Hall of Famer
I tend to give players that suffer devastating injuries a pass from the bust list as football has injuries that no other sport gets less hockey to an extremely lesser degree.

So Carter wouldn't make my list as he blew out his knees twice but then again before those injuries he didn't look like he as going to live up to his Heisman hype. Blair Thomas was a special bust IMO because he got card collecting hype and NYC media hype simultaneously and created the impression he was Brown and Simpson rolled into one. He turned out to be a 2nd string quality back with injury issues himself.

Gholston was the classic don't judge a book by it's cover as he had all the measurables but couldn't play worth a lick and never earned a second contract. It's funny but his cousin had lesser measurable but has carved out decent career in Tampa Bay.

Warhawk_46

Master
For fun I looked up his pre-draft analysis and it couldn’t be more wrong. First it starts in a weird homoerotic way talking about his “V shaped torso, defined muscle, and thick thighs and calves”. Then goes over all his strengths which takes multiple paragraphs. But the best part is when listing his weaknesses the scout puts- “null”!
Caste system in a nutshell.

We do have what I would consider a bust given his immense potential on our side: Margus Hunt. He had measurables that blow Gholston’s away and yet never became a natural football player. His very late start accounted for that as well as his natural unaggressive nature.

He just couldn’t play mean. Oh what could have been!