Carl Froch vs. Adonis Stevenson

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Ex-convict Adonis Stevenson

Looks like Froch will be fighting the Haitian-Canadian Adonis Stevenson.

http://www.boxingscene.com/froch-vs-stevenson-works-april---61074

In November 1998, Stevenson was arrested because he was part of a gang which forced young girls into prostitution. He also was found guilty of beating the girls and served a 48 months sentence. For entertainment, Adonis would make the girls box each other in the nude until one of them was knocked out.

http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adonis_Stevenson

Last edited:

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
What happened to the Bute rematch?
It's been postponed.

The IBF is mandating Froch to either fight Stevenson, or lose his title.

This sanctioning organization must be run by stupid people. They made Tony Thompson Wladimir Klitschko's mandatory a second time, after Wlad knocked him out in 2008.

Should be a great fight, I'm picking Carl Froch on mid to late round stoppage, or wide decision win. Stevenson is a big puncher with past chin issues. Froch is as tough as they come and can grind you down and stop you.

I heard last week that the Bute rematch had been abandoned until further notice (unfair to Bute, because when he fought Froch in England, that was not a mandatory fight and he voluntarily left Quebec under the notion that if he lost there'd be a rematch in Quebec). I also heard last week that Froch wanted a rematch with Kessler, but negotiations between Sauerland and Froch's promoter didn't work out.

Seemingly, because of the breakdown of those negotiations, IBF have ordered a mandatory defense VS Stevenson.

Stevenson is good and would give some guys problems, but I'm extremely confident Froch will get the better of him.

As far as I'm concerned I'm happy with this fight. We will see a white champion outclassing a black challenger, so I have no problem with that! :)

Westside

Hall of Famer
Frochy is in the zone right now and full of confidence . I see him demolishing this affelet by round 9 or 10 with a KO or TKO.

After this fight, the only money fight for him is a Bute rematch in Quebec. Or a fight with Pavlik. Ward will be out for a year with is bum shoulder issues.

Gibbon

Guru
Fonch is a likable fighter. Tough as nails. Huge heart. And fearless.

The real fight in this division is one of our top boys against Ward, obviously. Sucks he's out with an injury.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
It's been postponed.

The IBF is mandating Froch to either fight Stevenson, or lose his title.

This sanctioning organization must be run by stupid people. They made Tony Thompson Wladimir Klitschko's mandatory a second time, after Wlad knocked him out in 2008.

Any word on Pavlik-Ward? Will that fight ever happen?

Westside

Hall of Famer
Any word on Pavlik-Ward? Will that fight ever happen?
Not for a year or longer. Ward suffered a rotater cuff injury in training. Out for months. I believe its a legit injury. Ward will be on ice during the prime of his career and having beat top tier fighter in Dawson. Must be a downer for him.

Pavlik needs to take on Froch or Bute next. Or a fight I would love to see, is him fighting Andrea Dirrell. That would be great win for Kelly. Dirrell is really damaged goods after King Aurther brutalized him with a "late" punch 2 years ago.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Not for a year or longer. Ward suffered a rotater cuff injury in training. Out for months. I believe its a legit injury. Ward will be on ice during the prime of his career and having beat top tier fighter in Dawson. Must be a downer for him.

Pavlik needs to take on Froch or Bute next. Or a fight I would love to see, is him fighting Andrea Dirrell. That would be great win for Kelly. Dirrell is really damaged goods after King Aurther brutalized him with a "late" punch 2 years ago.

I actually think Pavlik has a decent chance of beating Ward. If Pavlik is really focused on his career and his drinking days are behind him we could see the same Kelly that beat Jermain Taylor. He had the fire in his eyes back then. He hasn't been the same since his loss to Hopkins.

Gibbon

Guru
It's off at least for now, Pavlik is looking for an opponent.

I'd like to see Pavlik-Kessler or Pavlik-Abraham.

Yeah no great caste match ups in this divisions (though Fronch/Stevenson could be good) but some good fights out there.

Was reading an article about Ward which closed with this.

"If one were to find faults with Ward, you could possibly say that he is too good for his own good. Ward is so dominant and his fights so one sided, sometimes you feel that it would be nice to see him go for the knockout. Ward's emphasis is WINNING, not entertaining and because of that, he has been wrongly labelled as boring. There are critics who don’t seem to appreciate him. Personally, I feel his utter dominance over world class opposition, whilst alternating his look depending on the occasion, is anything but boring, but hey, each their own.George Foreman once said, 'Boxing is like jazz, the better it is, the less it is appreciated.'"

It's interesting that these writers haven't applied the same logic to Vladimir in the HW division.

The article contends that Ward is too adaptable to oppose. He is a relatively heady fighter, so we can give him that.

However, generally, and, not to stereotype too broadly, IMHO blacks age worse in the ring than whites. Especially when hand speed and "athleticism" is the critical factor of their game (it's a critical factor of everyone's game but these things are relative). Ward's at a critical age for a boxer (especially a black boxer IMHO, though Ward doesn't strictly fit the profile).

Relative to the White fighters he'd be matched against upon his return, Ward is more disadvantaged by the time away from the ring.

It's my feeling that Mayweather, for example, has squandered a huge part of his career out of sheer cowardice, by staying out of the ring. The longer he waits, the worse he will look upon his return.

Great generals know when to attack. At the critical moment precisely when they have grown strong enough (and mysterious enough) to win in a unilateral way yet before the opponent has a chance to grow stronger relative to his own temporary strength.

Of course, with Ward, it sounds like he's legitimately injured so there's little he can do about it.

Strong guys like Kessler or Pavlik have time on their side in this division. If they can keep their sh*t together.

Last edited:

amoeba man

Guru
Stevenson blasted out Chad Dawson in the first round last night.The Haitian- Canadian is a powerful puncher and takes on tough Scouser Tony Bellew next.Should be a good fight and i give Bellew a decent chance as he hits hard himself but can also box to a disciplined game plan which he would need to to against Adonis.