Canadain Olympic Trials/Championships

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Jared Connaughton and Micheal LeBlanc have advanced out of the first round of the 100 meters. JayConn had the fastest of the prelims with a 10.31 and you could tell he was coasting. I don't know why Nic Macrozonaris did not compete. I'm guessing he was hurt but he has won the Can. Nats many times over and he won it last year.

While it's great to see LeBlanc sprinting, it is so sad that he has not been healthy and it would take a miracle for him to even finish in the top 3. Only because he is not healthy. Last year, only Pickering was better over 100 meters. Good luck to Michael as I hope he proves me wrong despite not having enough training time due to the serious injury he has faced over the last year.

I belive that JayConn will win both the 100 & 200 barring an injury. Depending on the weather, we could see another personal best.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Well I must say that JayConn showed his youth. He ran the semi finals in a 10.23 only to fizzle out in the finals. Jared finished a dissapointing 6th in a time of 10.34! I'm shocked as he is so much faster than the other sprinters in this field until today. I guess it was just one of those days. Keep your head up Jared as you still have the 200 to come. Michael LeBlanc as expected bowed out in the semi finals in a 10.54! He is just not even close to being in shape to run with the big boys right now. I hope he isn't too crushed missing out on the big dance. Good luck to both of these young canucks the rest of the year.

white is right

Hall of Famer
He can still be in the relay pool and maybe has a shot to be chosen for the team as he has achieved the B standard. What happened to Macro? Also Browne is a decent sprinter who doesn't juice so it's nice to see him make the team.

American X

white is right said:
He can still be in the relay pool and maybe has a shot to be chosen for the team as he has achieved the B standard. What happened to Macro? Also Browne is a decent sprinter who doesn't juice so it's nice to see him make the team.

I don't know much about Browne, but how do you know hedoesn'tjuice?

white is right

Hall of Famer
Browne is small and relatively fat and his times have flattened out at about 10.1X to 10.2X. That's not a sign of juicing. (He was running those times at about 21 he is now about 27 or 28)Edited by: white is right

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Well I was half right. I predicted JayConn would double at the Can.Champs. He won the 200 in the prelims with a time of 20.36 to win easily. He then destroyed the field a few hous later to win the 200 title in a time of 20.34! That is really good speed endurance running two deuces that close together after running three rounds in the 100 heats for the last several days. I'm very happy for Jared. He will at least get to live his dream of running an individual spot in the olympics. He should make the semis but with a little luck, who knows. This guy can really run.

white is right

Hall of Famer
He also got the A standard so the bean counters can't deny him a spot. I noticed that the bean counters never stop officials from going to major meets, but athletes it's another story. I think one of the bean counters came up with the idea of recruiting gay soldiers into the armed forces...
smiley11.gif

white is right

Hall of Famer
Here is the Canadian team, the story is from the CBC...
Canadian Olympic athletics team announced
Last Updated: Monday, July 7, 2008 | 2:55 PM ET Comments6Recommend22
CBC Sports
Tyler Christopher runs in the men's 400m heat at the Canadian Track and Field Trials in Windsor, Ont.Tyler Christopher runs in the men's 400m heat at the Canadian Track and Field Trials in Windsor, Ont. (Ryan Remiorz/Canadian Press)

Tyler Christopher and Gary Reed will carry the hopes of the Canadian athletics team after it was confirmed they are among the 29 athletes Athletics Canada is sending to Beijing.

The list was announced Monday in Windsor, Ont. The names will be forwarded to the Canadian Olympic Committee as nominations, but it is expected that all of the names on the list will be accepted.

Athletics Canada said in a statement released Monday that they are aiming for two athletics medals at the Olympics. This is the same number of medals won at the 2007 World Championships in Osaka, where Perdita Felicien won silver in the women's 100-metre hurdles and Gary Reed won silver in the men's 800 metres.

Felicien was among six athletes who were granted extensions based on their previous performances, and have until July 22, 2008, to meet the criteria for their events in order to qualify.

The team was selected after the Canadian track and field trials this past weekend, where Reed won his fifth Canadian championship.

The track and field events are scheduled to start on Aug. 15 in Beijing. The Canadian competitors will attend a training camp in Singapore before going to China four or five days prior to the start of their competition.
Representing Canada in athletics:

Ruky Abdulai

Long jump

Richard Adu-Bobie

4x100-metre relay

Dylan Armstrong

Shot put

Brian Barnett

200 metres, 4x100-metre relay

Tim Berrett

50 kilometre race walk

Massimo Bertocchi