Calzaghe-Kessler set

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
werewolf said:
Hopefully the US announcing team will try not to be complete idiots and insult Calzaghe too much seeing as they are in Wales and might not care to get lynched, but  I doubt if Maxie could avoid being a complete idiot even if his life depended upon it.  He'll probably interview the winner and ask him how he thinks he'd fare if the division wasn't so pathetically weak as it is now, something like he did to Hatton.ww (cynic)

Yes, Max Kellerman hates successful white boxers, so he'll be doing his sometimes subtle and sometime obvious discrediting of both fighters.

Hockaday

Guru
I'm looking over Kessler's record. Andrade, Beyer, Lucas, Mundine. All tough guys, but well short of Calzaghe quality. Everyone says Kessler is a jump for Calzaghe, but I think it's the other way around. Late money on Calzaghe, UD 12.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I agree. I say the smart money is on Joe Calzaghe. He will go down as the one the greatest boxers that has ever lived. It is going to be special with over 50'000 people watching it in the stadium. I wish I could be there. I love both fighters but I want Joe to cement his legacy with a win here and a win against Bernard Hopkins to follow.

Angelcynn

Guru
Calzaghe wins in a close and very entertaining fight. I think the home crowd really helped Calzaghe in this one as Kessler was leading up untill the later rounds when Calzaghe found his extra work rate which no other boxer in the world can match. Kessler impressed me, he will be back with a bang I'm sure.

What a fight! Ya Know I always admired Joe. However I really thought that Kessler would win.............by knockout.
The Joe Calzaghe vs. Jeff Lacy fight was the first fight I ever watched of Calzaghe live so I think my opinion of Mikkel winning was based on my own ignorance of not knowing enough about Joe.
I like both fighters, but I like Kessler just a little more. Calzaghe though is a great. A great with no doubt about it. Kessler hit him flush twice that I seen and Joe ate it only to come back stronger than before. Kessler is, and will continue to be a beast at super middleweight. I suppose that is just a testament to how great Calzaghe really is.
Good fight, lots of class on both sides. Calzaghe should go down as the greatest Super Middleweight of all time hands down. No one is even close (now or historically) in the super middleweight division when you factor in the men Calzaghe has beaten and the manner in which he has beaten them.
In closing, I hope that Calzaghe fights Hopkins at Light Heavy. I believe with his speed, and most importantly his high workrate he can stop Hopkins through high volume punching as Hopkins tends to average about 14 punches a round.
Congrats to a great champion Joe Calzaghe.
smiley1.gif
smiley1.gif
smiley1.gif

Bart

Hall of Famer
aussieaussie31 said:
In closing, I hope that Calzaghe fights Hopkins at Light Heavy. I believe with his speed, and most importantly his high workrate he can stop Hopkins through high volume punching as Hopkins tends to average about 14 punches a round.

Congratulations to both Joe and the Viking Warrior. It is so good to see white boxers of their caliber displaying awesome skills. Aussie, can Joe handle the added weight to his frame and retain his speed and deftness? He seems to struggle making weight so it would seem he could go up without much trouble. I'd love to see him obliterate Hopkins.IF he won that fight his reputation would go up to even greater heights.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
This is how WHITE MEN fight. Great effort and skill and great sportsmanship all around. Great show by both men. They are both champions in my opinion, like Dempsey and Tunney were. Maybe these two men will go on and be friends like those two great boxers of the past.

Calzaghe has just too much speed and skill and is by far a level above the rest at the 168. Kessler couldn't beat Calzaghe to the punch when Calzaghe was in range and he doesn't have the techniques to keep a man in range like Hatton does and that, gentlemen, was the essential story of the fight.

And, like I always said, I always said it: my caste record is now 5-0. Felicitations, congradulations to both men for showing the rest of them how it is done.

Joe Calzahge was very impressive he overcame any doubt anyone who lives in the real world might have. I wanted Joe a fellow Celt of win but I really thought Kessler's youth, power and ambidexterity would be too much. Joe Calzahge actually seemed to improve as a fighter during the fight, but then that is what make a good fighter a great fighter.
Both men fought, well , honorably and behaved as gentlemen before . after and during the fight. Both were a credit to our race.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Congrats to two great white warriors. They put on a show for the whole world to see. Neither boxer ever backed down. It was a very entertaining fight!

While sad for Kessler, he is only 28 and he fought like the True Viking Warrior he is. He will be a future champion many times over. I want to see Joe knock the smile off of Hopkins face. He can talk all he wants, they will eventually settle this in the ring. Joe Calzaghe is the best of all time!
smiley32.gif

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Kellerman and Manny Steward both noted that Calzaghe belongs in the top 3 pound-for-pound along with Mayweeather and Pacquaio. Yahoo has Joe ranked #3 while Ring has him at #8.

Kessler will be back and Joe will move to 175 where he will be stronger as it kills him to make 168. He will destroy Hopkins.

Enzo Maccarrenelli won a 4th round KO over some Algerian to defend his WBO cruiserweight title. Enzo is tough but needs to step up the competition level.

Hockaday

Guru
Well fought fast paced fight. Kessler's jab had Joe off balance as they traded rounds till the fifth, then Calzaghe turned the tables and found the range with his jab. Once Joe adjusted his style to Kessler's he was able to pull away. Librido Andrade and Marcus Beyer do not prepare a fighter for Joe Calzaghe. Still, Kessler was always a threat.

Joe really needed this one as the naysayers were ready to pounce.

Sunrise in Wales will find a lot of happy drunks wandering around Cardiff.
Edited by: Hockaday

G

Three cheers for Joe Calzaghe mates! It was a great fight. Joe won based on his skill, experience and ability to take tremendous shots. It was great see two sportsmen at the highest level displaying it in the ring and out of it. I see no one on Joe's level right now.

I think Joe will finally put classless/foul Bernard Hopkins out to pasture. If I was Joe I would think about where to fight him. In Whales or Vegas. The evil forces here at home would conspire against him.

Kessler also fought a great fight. It is just not his time. He will be back better for the experience he got in this fight.

I think he should fight Hopkins in Wales for simple financial reasons. Calzahge can fill a 60,000 seat venue in Cardiff and Hopkins will have trouble filling a 10,000 seat arena in L. A. or N.Y. The TV equipment can function anywhere there is an electrical outlet or enough gas for a generator. As Joe Gould says in 'Cinderella Man' "You know the name of this game and it damn sure ain't pugilism."

I also noticed how the announcers tip toed around the fact that Joe Calzahge had lost his IBF belt that he won from Jeff Lacey without losing a fight. Simply put the IBF stripped him of it I assume because he fought Peter Manfredo who was not on the IBF ratings list. I believe this attitude damages the sport and could damage the IBF in that as titles are unified if the IBF continues to strip multi belt holders of the IBF title you could end up with unified Champions holding WBA,WBC,and WBO titles and the IBF belt not meaning any thing.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Calzaghe should fight Hopkins at 168 or 175. It would not matter very much as he would overwhelm Hopkins with volume and speed and Hopkins really can't handle that kind of pace. Who could? I agree with Tired Old White, the fight should take place in Cardiff as that venue would make more money all around.

It is interesting to note how many people think Calzaghe fighting in Cardiff is a home fight for Joe whereas Hopkins fighting in vegas is not a home fight for Bernard. Boxing writers, in fact, have written comments like "Hopkins is willing to travel to New York, L.A. or Vegas if it's the right place for a fight, while Calzaghe seems only to want to fight in Cardiff." The obvious reply to that nonesense is Calzaghe is also willing to fight in Bristol, Liverpool, Manchester, or even London to prove he is not a homer. Imagine that!

Gentlemen, savour these fights, they are and will be classics. Calzaghe is an extradinary boxer.

dkr77

Guru
Joe was impressive. He took some thunderous uppercuts from Kessler and continued to press the action. Kessler has a bright future in the division and a fight with Taylor or Pavlik would rake in millions for him. These are the good old days gentlemen.

JD074

Master
The thing I noticed about Kessler is his really wide stance. He was actually the shorter man in the fight because of it.Kessler was successful when Calzaghe would lunge forward, square up, and Kessler would counter him with those vicious uppercuts. But when Calzaghe settled down, circled, and threw simple 1-2 combinations, I think he exposed Kessler's footwork. His movement and defense were more than good enough against Mundine, Beyer, and Andrade, but once Calzaghe got his rhythm, he just wasn't elusive enough against this particular opponent. Obviously you can't counter-punch effectively if you're getting hit with flush shots. Also, Calzaghe being a southpaw made his jab less effective.

He's only 28, so he should have plenty of time to improve. He should deeply consider getting a new trainer to help him with his footwork. Edited by: JD074

Angelcynn

Guru
Liverlips, Macca was ment to fight Cunningham, but he pulled out due to injury or something of the sort and the Algerian guy was a late replacement. Macca now wants to fight the winner of Mormeck v David Haye. That would be a huge fight!

Something I forgot to mention was Calzaghes chin. It's solid! Kessler connected Calzaghe whith some great hits but Calzaghe just stands strong. Calzaghe has only hit the canvus once in his career against Charles Brewer but he came straight back in the same round to KO Brewer. The guys a frikin legend! Should be No1 boxer in the p4p cuz Mayweathers had some close and dodgy decisions. Is his DVD available in the States? I've got it last year and I've watched it too many times!

Also watch out for the new Joe Calzaghe, Nathan Cleverly. Cleverly beat a Ghanian champion before last night which is great for someone of his age. He is also very intellegent, currently studying Maths at the University of Cardiff. He got 2 A's and a B for his A-Levels which is excellent.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/7078017.stm

Hockaday

Guru
Englishman, I believe the knockdown was against Byron Mitchell, in Joe's first American TV fight. I was watching, and Joe got nailed flush on the sweet spot. He went down in a heap, and when he got up he looked finished, rubber legs and trying to figure out where he was, the whole bit. Exposed and dismissed. But Joe just started throwing back, and he caught Mitchell and TKO'd him, in the same round.

Along with everything else, Calzaghe unbeatable heart.

Angelcynn

Guru
Your right Hockaday it was Mitchell. Calzaghe beat Brewer on points. My bad. Was a good Ko though hey, Mitchell couldn't believe it!

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Right you are gentlemen, it was indeed Mitchel. Before Mitchel fought Calzaghe he lost a 12 reound decision to Sven Otke. Do you know what happened to Mitchel after he fought Calzaghe? He never fought again! Calzaghe took the fight right out of him! Maybe he couldn't face his fellows after having lost twice to white men?Edited by: Maple Leaf

white is right

Hall of Famer
I just saw this fight today. What amazed me is Joe just took a close dangerous fight to another gear and made Kessler look like he was drowning in water. There is no way Hopkins can put on a prevent defense and steal one from Joe. Joe will be like a swarm of hornets attacking somebody disturbing their nest....

speedster

Mentor
That makes 6 former and current champions that Calzaghe has beaten with Hopkins being number 7. Way to go Joe!