Brandon Byram

white lightning

Hall of Famer
This guy is a junior at Florida State. He is a very gifted sprinter who just ran a new p.b. today in the 200 meters of 20.40! That is flying for this upperclassman! He has a twitter and this is one of his posts from the account.

"You'll never make it" "Your just not good enough" "Your just not as talented as he is" "Lets face it, at your very best your a 10.2 guy" <---- Story of My Life

Twitter - BrandonByram07

Let's keep an eye on this kid. He is very talented and he is also a teammate of David Ambler. Good luck to Brandon the rest of the season!

white lightning

Hall of Famer

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
I'm impressed! Of course since he's at Florida State, there was no chance that Massa Bowden would have ever asked him and his blazing speed to try out for the football team, not BLACK enough for the Massa of the Creminoles. Maybe Jimbo Fisher will have the cognitive abilities to recognize true talent........naaaaa!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
As I've said on many occasions, we don't see enough stars because most whites don't even participate in track. Especially the sprints. Track and sprinting are a part of black culture similar to basketball. In order to see more Byram types, we need more kids taking an interest in sprinting in the U.S. and around the world. Most of the top sprinters have come from Europe for decades simply because they are not as brainwashed as whites in America are.

Brandon understands that he has a rare talent and I think that someday in the next few years, he could approach 20 seconds flat or even dip under that mark. He just needs more experience. It's a shame he didn't start track until his last year of high school. Good luck to him this weekend.Edited by: white lightning

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
It's not only the "black culture", it's that whites are not encouraged to participate in track, and then even if they do, they are often poorly coached, which ruins any chance to excel.

Speaking of coaching and track/form training, are there any programs that any of you recommend?
I'm not quite wealthy enough to pay for private lessons, and frankly I'd rather train my son in the basics myself. Any suggestions from you knowledgeable caste footballers??Edited by: FootballDad

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Try this one to start. I would make also make sure you work on everything from having the right stance in the starting blocks(adj.properly),the start itself, the drive phase(staying low to the ground with your head looking down at the track), and then transition to the upright running style around 20-30 meters into the race. Plyometrics are crucial in building strength and training your fast twitch muscles. Also flexibility and core strength should be focused on. Hope this helps a little. There is so much info available online. If I lived closer to you, I would have been happy to help you in person. Good luck to you guys and keep me posted on your progress. Thanks. Here is the link to additional info.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Track-and-Field-Workouts&id=1145463Edited by: white lightning

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Thanks white lightning. My son is very fast, but his technique is extremely raw, which means poor. It works okay on the gridiron, where can easily outrun all of the superior affletes chasing after him, but it doesn't translate well to the track. He's 13, and he did manage a mid 13 second 100 meter even with a groin pull at the 40 meter mark. The 7th grade PE teacher has them run one heat, with virtually NO warmup and 1 stretch.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Brandon Byram qualified for the semis of the 200 today in a time of 20.61 into a negative 1.0 wind. Very nice time indeed. He had the 2nd fastest time of the day.

M.LeBlanc didn't make the finals of the 100 despite running a 10.30 wind aided. He missed the finals by 1/100th of a second so his college career is now over. Good luck to him in his pursuit of a track career. He has a long ways to go but I don't think he is ready to give up track just yet.

Back to Brandon. He should make it through the semis easily barring an injury. Brandon also really only has his teammate to worry about as far as times are concerned. If he just makes the 200 finals, he will be declared an All American. I think the will do just fine.

Alpha Male

Mentor
FootballDad said:
Thanks white lightning. My son is very fast, but his technique is extremely raw, which means poor. It works okay on the gridiron, where can easily outrun all of the superior affletes chasing after him, but it doesn't translate well to the track. He's 13, and he did manage a mid 13 second 100 meter even with a groin pull at the 40 meter mark. The 7th grade PE teacher has them run one heat, with virtually NO warmup and 1 stretch.

Man, that pisses me off. These gym teachers, high school coaches, and, from my experience, even decent club level track and semi-pro football coaches don't have the knowledge basefor a proper dynamic warm - up, let alone workouts that tap into true speed training. Best bet, Google "Athlete's Accleration." You will have a great respource for all your training needs.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Thanks Alpha Male. When I work with him just doing 40-yard dashes in preparation for his football camps and middle-school ball, even after a fair amount of warm ups and warm stretches, it takes 2 or 3 practice sprints before he's in the groove and can crank out a good time. These idiot teachers/coaches bring out poor performance, and worse than that, make injury for their students likely.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Brandon ran a wind aided 20.40 to advance to the finals. Let's see if he can pull the upset. Good luck Brandon!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Brandon Byram and Borlee both made the nationals which will be in Eugene, Oregon. Ronald Arajs made it out west posting a wind legal 10.37 in his semi final heat.

At least a few of our guys made it. LeBlanc got screwed over.

greyghost

Mentor
definite guy for the future , just as long as he trains with the right people and is trained by the right coach, how bout coach CLYDE HART!
smiley2.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Great news guys. Brandon had the worst lane draw in the semi finals today but still won going away and hadthe 2nd quickest time of anyone to qualify for tommorows finals. He also did it by running a wind legal 20.31 out of lane 8! This is insane. Way to throw it down Byram. Good luck to Brandon on Sunday. Bring up the gold to Florida. Here is the line up for the finals.

Licensed to Half-Mile Timing - Contractor License
HY-TEK's Meet Manager 7/10/2010 06:22 PM
NACAC Under 23 Championships - 7/9/2010 to 7/11/2010
Hosted by: City of Miramar
Ansin Sports Complex: Miramar, Florida
Meet Program

Event 20 Men 200 Meter Dash
===============================================================================
NACAC: 19.32 8/1/1996 Michael Johnson, USA
Name Year Team Semis
===============================================================================
Section 1 Finals
1 Harper, Tyler Canada 20.91
2 Adams, Antoine St. Kitts & Nevi 20.80
3 Byram, Brandon United States of 20.31
4 Agard, Terence Netherland Antil 21.06
5 Dwyer, Rasheed Jamaica 20.64
6 Mitchell, Curtis United States of 19.99
7 McKenzie, Ramone Jamaica 21.08
8 Pickstock, La'Sean Bahamas 21.03 Edited by: white lightning

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
that is GREAT news for Brandon! what an impressive performance under difficult circumstances. the heart of a champion beats in his chest. good luck to him tomorrow!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm going to predict another new personal best tommorow. I say he finishes 2nd but that he hits the 20.20's range. That would be incredible. This kid is just about as fast as Wariner over the 200 and he is still in college. Byram and Boase will be two young guys to watch in the future.

manor777

Yes, he did run very well today. I have always wondered why lane 8 is considered a bad lane? it seems like it would be the fastest because it has the least sharp curve. Anyways, i predict a 20.1 - 20.2. I predict him going 19 within a year or two. Would he be the first white to go 19???

mastermulti

Master
no. Mennea (Italy), Urbas (Poland) and Kenteris (Greece) in that order have broken 20 while Borzov should have been first of the lot with his 20.00 with hands above his head in Munich 1972

mastermulti

Master
I see he was also a member of the winning 4 x 100 relay team who beat Jamaica by 4/10ths.
Well done. In the 38s is always good for a team of young guys