Boxing 10 years ago

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Can someone please inform me an average of how many belts whites held in the mid 90's from middleweight up. I know currently we hold 15 but how did it look 10 years ago?

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
Can someone please inform me an average of how many belts whites held in the mid 90's from middleweight up. I know currently we hold 15 but how did it look 10 years ago?

As far as I remember, we had none in 1995. Like the old song goes "the times they are a-changing".

The information on past titleholders is available under the heading "title" on BoxRec and is also on wikipedia.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:

I know for a fact Michaelczeski was champ then.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Darius Michalcsewski held the light heavy and cruiserweight belts in the mid-90s. Henry Maske held the light heavyweight belt for 3-4 years in the mid-90s Steve Collins was middlewight champ for a few years. Of course, Joe Calzaghe won the super middleweight belt in 1997 an has not relinquished it since. Sven Ottke also became super middleweight champ in the mid-90s. In the lower weights, Arturo Gatti held at least two belts and Bronco McKart, Paul Spadafora and Bones Adams all held belts in the 1990s.

But almost none of the European champs were ever featured on HBO and big-name Americans such as Roy Jones and Bernard Hopkins wisely avoided these men.