Boxing’s big news

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Yahoos main page has featured Holyfields comeback fight as a major news item for two days. This is such a joke. It is pathetic that he is fighting again. He's old and he lost like 3 fights before they coaxed a bum out of retirement that he could beat. Now they got another club fighter matched up against him. This is the best that American heavyweight boxing can do?? Man is this country screwed!!!

JD074

Master
At least he's not fighting an insurance salesman this time! That guy wasn't even good enough to make a full time living out of fighting, so they put him in the ring with a former HW champ? Pathetic.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I used to like Holyfield. I really enjoyed his dismantling of Thug Tyson. But I agree, he is a shell of his former self and will likely be seriously injured if he fights any of the top heavyweights out there right now. I can't imagine what Wlad would do to him.

Not to play armchair psychologist, but Holyfield strikes me as one of those guys who doesn't know what to do with himself without his identity as a 'boxer.' Despite having plenty of children with whom he could spend his time, he chooses to continue to box, apparently more for glory than anything else, as he says his goal is to again become heavyweight champion of the world. It seems as though he will not retire for good until he is forced to do so by the various boxing commissions. Edited by: White Shogun

Bart

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
Holyfield strikes me as one of those guys who doesn't know what to do with himself without his identity as a 'boxer.' Despite having plenty of children with whom he could spend his time, he chooses to continue to box, apparently more for glory than anything else,

I think he needs the money. He threw it away like it was confetti. He was interviewed by -CharismaMagazine- many years ago. I read some quotes that left me shaking my head.He was going broke and couldn't pay his bills. He was living in a 60, 000 Sq. foot mansion with guest houses and the works.So, he asked God what to do about the situation. I would have figured God would have told him to quit living like a sheik and cut back a little, you know, stop spending so muchcashon (whores)er...girlfriends and bling bling, make some wise investments and scale down to a smaller house like only 6,000 Sq. feet. But noooooo, God didn't tell him to be a better steward of his money or even todrive a measly Cadillac instead of a Rolls Royce.He told Evander to fight some more and make more money.

Gary

Mentor
I can't even think that truly great fighters like Gene Tunney or Rocky Marciano would keep coming back,much less fighting the local mailman for a paycheck.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Interestingly, I think Holyfield's belief in God is what helped him beat Mike Tyson. I watched an interview in which he said 'this fight isn't about me and Mike Tyson. This fight is about good versus evil. This fight is gonna rock the world...' This was also after Holyfield had been diagnosed with a heart condition, that he believed had been healed by God. He didn't appear to be intimidated by Tyson at all, which as you know is the main reason Tyson won so many fights - his opponents were afraid of him. And Tyson DID appear to feel threatened by Holyfield. In the interviews I watched leading up to that fight, Tyson seemed more shrill than usual, saying that he wasn't afraid of Holyfield, and so on. Tyson never said he wasn't 'afraid' of anybody in that manner, that I know of. And we all know the results - Holyfield knocked him out in their first fight, and forced Tyson to disqualify himself in order to avoid another KO in their second fight.

Holyfield believed that God was going to give him victory in his next fight, too, even predicting the round in which he would KO his opponent. He said that God 'told him' that he would knock out his opponent in the third round. You could visibly see Holyfield step up his attack in the 3rd. But he was unable to KO his opponent in the 3rd round after all, though it doesn't appear that this shook Holyfield's faith in God any.

It is surprising that all the athletes and celebrities seem to believe that God wants them to have multi-million dollar homes and expensive cars, when Jesus said it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into Heaven.

Bart

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
I watched an interview in which he said 'this fight isn't about me and Mike Tyson. This fight is about good versus evil.

He said that God 'told him' that he would knock out his opponent in the third round. You could visibly see Holyfield step up his attack in the 3rd. But he was unable to KO his opponent in the 3rd round after all, though it doesn't appear that this shook Holyfield's faith in God any.

He was wrong. The fight was not about good vs. evil.Did Evander think he was the personification of good and Tyson of evil? One representing the forces of eternal light and goodness and the otherof perpetual darkness? Holyfield was found to be a fraud and a liar. It was merely a boxing match between tworather stupid black fighters.Holyfieldpresentsa better image than Tyson, butbased on their histories andsound bites, it's obviousboth could be considered retarded. What if Tyson won the fight? Would it mean evil defeated good? If that is the case wouldn't every sporting event featuring Muslims, Christians, Jews or even Scientologists have spiritual significance?What about chess matches between Muslims, Christians or even atheists? Or what if a Muslim bombs and kills Jews or vice versa? Depending on our individual perspectives.. God wins.... loses...wins...loses.

If God told Holyfield he was going to win by a KO in the third round..... God must not be able to count.Maybe God is black too? I'm not trying to be cute or a wise guy, but just thinking out loud, so to speak.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Bart, I see your point and agree in part. But in my opinion its irrelevant whether he was wrong, as far as whether the fight was 'really' about good versus evil. In Holyfield's mind it was, and I think that his personal faith and confidence in that gave him more courage than he might have otherwise had going into the fight against Tyson. As far as to who was the greater 'sinner' between the two, while we may see no difference between them, most people viewed Tyson as a convicted rapist and thug, and Holyfield as a 'nice guy,' as well as a Christian, despite his penchant for impregnating women out of wedlock.
smiley17.gif

It isn't about what's real, its about what an individual BELIEVES is real, and how strongly they believe it, that makes the difference.

Bart

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
It isn't about what's real, its about what an individual BELIEVES is real, and how strongly they believe it, that makes the difference.

I understand what you are saying and would agree...to a point. The fellow in the news recently believed he could walk on water, but he drowned.

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=51760

Posted: August 30, 2006
6:14 p.m. Eastern
©2006WorldNetDaily.com

An evangelist who tried replicating Jesus' miracle of walking on water has reportedly drowned off the western coast of Africa.

Pastor Franck Kabele, 35, told his congregation he could repeat the biblical miracle, and he attempted it from a beach in Gabon's capital of Libreville.

"He told churchgoers he'd had a revelation that if he had enough faith, he could walk on water like Jesus," an eyewitness told the Glasgow Daily Record.

"He took his congregation to the beach saying he would walk across the Komo estuary, which takes 20 minutes by boat. He walked into the water, which soon passed over his head and he never came back."

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Bart said:
I understand what you are saying and would agree...to a point. The fellow in the news recently believed he could walk on water, but he drowned.

I hate to laugh about a man dying, but that kinda deserves a -
smiley36.gif

I guess the difference between the two is that Holyfield at least had the ability to beat Tyson, and wasn't already defeated in his head prior to the bout like many of Tyson's other opponents - Unlike the dear pastor in the article you mentioned, who never once had the ability to walk on water, and who's confidence in that non-existent thing led to his demise.

Not surprising to me though is that this story of the man who would walk on water took place in Africa, where they still believe raping an infant will cure AIDS, and other such nonsense. Edited by: White Shogun

Libpunkchick

Is he crazy? It's great that he defeated Tyson in that match, which cost my cousin a lot of money for the cable, beer, etc.
smiley36.gif
. But this sounds nuts. He's only going to get more brain damaged, or maybe he already is
smiley11.gif
. Can't believe he said God told him to box. This is not anti-Christian, but anti-common sense. I hope someone knocks some sense into him (no pun intended)

Hockaday

Guru
Holfield, what a true believer. I find it curious that God's revelations to him always seem to line up with what his ego wants.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Hockaday said:
Holfield, what a true believer. I find it curious that God's revelations to him always seem to line up with what his ego wants.

As do most people's.
smiley5.gif

white is right

Hall of Famer
Why would god want anyone to potentially kill another man in hand to hand combat? Something to ponder.......
smiley18.gif
Edited by: white is right

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Before this thread drifts too far into left (or right?) field, let me reiterate that my point was that Holyfield's faith in God, not God's faith in Holyfield, helped Holyfield win the fight.

I am NOT saying that God wanted Holyfield to win.
I am NOT saying that God gave Holyfield the victory.
I am NOT saying that God even has a passing interest in this sport.

This is akin to a fighter taking some kind of supplement, or wearing a magic amulet, or not changing his socks on game day, to bolster his confidence. Holyfield just seems to have a much more inordinate amount of faith in his chosen juju, God, than most other athletes have in theirs. And he is more outspoken about it, too. Many fighters like to 'thank God for the win' after it's over, but Holyfield talks about it before the fight, after the fight, and in between fights.

That is all.
smiley1.gif