Boxer of the Year for 2011

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Who was the most impressive fighter of 2011?

- Vitali Klitschko had stoppage wins over Solis and Adamek

- Lucian Bute had 3 successful title defenses, two by KO and one by very wide decision

- Grzegorz Proksa had 4 stoppage wins, despite not having a real promoter until signing with Hearn late in the year. He fought on the road, winning the European title in Spain and then defending it against Sylvester in Germany

- Robert Helenius, let's not forget he had impressive KO wins over Sam Peter and Sergiy Lyakhovich before his gift decision win over Chisora.

The future looks good. I think people like Boytsov, Chakhkiev, Masternak, Proksa, Golovkin, Pirog, Bute, Wlad, Glazkov, Bursak, Quigg, Price and Groves may have a very successful year in 2012.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
I'z beez nominatin Floyd "Money" "Pretty Boyyy" Mayweather Jr. forz boxerz ofz da years and shiiit. Homey winned his fight dis year overz Ortiz, out smack-talked all da over boxerz and be goin' to da joint to cement hiz place in Histry!!

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I'z beez nominatin Floyd "Money" "Pretty Boyyy" Mayweather Jr. forz boxerz ofz da years and shiiit. Homey winned his fight dis year overz Ortiz, out smack-talked all da over boxerz and be goin' to da joint to cement hiz place in Histry!!

Well he was actually sentenced to 90 days in jail recently so that ups his "cool" factor even more with the drunk white fans. He's now a legit "gangsta."

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
He deserves it. His beat down of his ex-girlfriend was the most lopsided "win" of the year.

I actually consider Wladimir Klitschko as fighter of the year.

Wladimir Klitschko took on a former undisputed champion and Cruiserweight king David Haye, in what was probably the highest profile fight of 2011, and one of the biggest fights of the last decade.

In all honesty, Haye/Klitschko is one of the biggest fights in all boxing history.

Klitschko/Haye was the sport at its pinnacle, and Id venture to suggest that in terms of overall audience, Klitschko/Haye is certainly bigger than Mayweather/Ortiz (2011), and probably also bigger than Mayweather/DLH (2007), and Mayweather/Hatton (2007).

Klitschko/Haye was such a glorious matchup between two A level fighters. Wlad boxed cautiously and intelligently, landed the better shots and comfortably won the fight over a multiple world champion.

People don't give Wladimir the credit he deserves. He beat an extremely talented, former undisputed king in his prime. Its also bizarre how people are so quick to demean Haye after this fight. As though Haye was never any talent to begin with. (Obviously there are racial-caste reasons for that)

David Haye is a monstrous puncher, multiple world champion, and undisputed champion. David Haye, had he stayed at CW, would have been a lock at HOF. David Haye is very athletic, and in my opinion would have beaten Tyson or Lewis in their primes.

Here we have a white man (Klitschko) boxing beautifully and winning the fight against an in-his prime half negro (Haye) in what was one of the biggest matches of alltime. This win solidifies Wladimir as a legend and alltime great. Wladimir's win was truly emphatic and SHOULD rightfully have put him top3 P4P in the world.

Moreover, I would argue that Wladimir W 12 Haye is probably the best single result ever achieved by a white boxer.

The sad part is people are reluctant to give Wlad the credit he deserves for this alltime great win. Its also disgusting how suddenly fans are bashing David Haye. Haye is an extremely taleneted, tough guy. Had Haye won the fight, no doubt Haye would be an immediate Alltime Great status and P4P#4/5.

Doublestandards like this are painful.

In any case, my fighter of the Year is Wlad Klitschko for his triumphant win over an A level fighter in the biggest fight of 2011!

Wlad is fighter of 2011 based on his achievment VS Haye!

(PS, Carl Froch as an opponent doesnt have 1/2 of the achievement or 1/2 of the value of Haye. So, Ward's W 12 Froch is not worth as much to me as Wlad W 12 Haye)

Other than Wladimir Klitschko, some guys with good top-level years in 2011 include Nonito Donaire (nonwhite) & much to my dislike Andre Ward (nonwhite). Lucian Bute, Denis Lebedev, Vitali Klitschko, Gennady Golovkin, Carl Froch, and Grzegorz Proksa also all had great years as white boxers!

Lucian Bute is so talented, but in terms of his achievement this year, things were good but not great. Beating Johnson is a solid, name win. But Magee & Mendy are wishy-washy.

My New Years Wish for 2012 is for Lucian's management team to get him better fights. Lucian has all the talent in the world and just needs the right fights to show it. Theyre already talking Froch/Bute and that would be a great fight. Bute will KO Froch. And that will move things one step closer to Ward/Bute.

Ward needs Bute. Ward cant sell PPV and cant sell more than 5,000 seats in his own hometown and Bute regularly fills 20,000 in Quebec and draws large number. Bute is five times the star that Ward is.

Bute > Ward

2012... Im expecting big years out of Bute, Golovkin, winner of Huck/Povetkin, Klitschko Bros, and Proksa!

Last edited: