North Dakota Senate backs restoring Roger Maris' home run record</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=center height=22>

</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=center>

By DALE WETZEL, Associated Press Writer
March 31, 2005

BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) -- The North Dakota Senate unanimously approved a resolution Thursday asking baseball commissioner Bud Selig to reinstate Roger Maris' 61 home runs in 1961 as the major league record.

Maris' mark has been surpassed six times since 1998, but baseball's steroids scandal has called the recent records into question.

``In North Dakota when we think something has been wrong, we try to make it right,'' said Sen. Joel Heitkamp, a Democrat who sponsored the resolution. ``And when it comes to Roger Maris, and when it comes to steroids, and when it comes to how people have taken this record away ... that's not right.'' </TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Hoorah for North Dakota. I second that here in Mississippi. We need to keep the record books clean of steroids too.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
I hope other states follow them, and I don't know, but I think
they should ban these guys who use steroids. Why don't they set an
example of these player's so that nobody will do this again.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I wish they would ban them Bear Arms. That's the only way to scare some guys into compliance.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I'm surprised no one has linked to this article bashing Mark McGwire on the front page of Yahoo. The article has changed titles throughout the day; right now it says 'Big Mac's big tragedy. Just below, it says: "Ten years ago, Mark McGwire hit his amazing 62nd home run. Turns out, it was an amazing scandal."

The author says in the article that Bonds began using steroids because he was upset about all the accolades and praise that McGwire was receiving for breaking the home run record.

And that's about the only remark he makes about Bonds.

smiley29.gif

white is right

Hall of Famer
Well it looks like the estranged brother of Big Mac is throwing him under the bus. Here is the wire story....Book proposal implicates McGwire
Comment Email Print
ESPN.com news services
Brother Claims McGwire Used Steroids
Peter Gammons on Jay McGwire's claim that he introduced Mark McGwire to performance-enhancing drugsTags: MLB
Brother Claims McGwire Used Steroids

A new book proposal, submitted by the admittedly estranged brother of Mark McGwire, claims the former major league slugger used both steroids and human growth hormone during his career.

In the proposal, first reported Wednesday on Deadspin.com, Jay McGwire alleges that Mark used Deca-Durabolin and that he introduced Mark to performance-enhancing drugs in 1994.

"

Deca-Durabolin helped with his joint problems and recovery, while growth hormone helped his strength, making him leaner in the process. I became the first person to inject him, like most first-timers he couldn't plunge in the needle himself. Later a girlfriend injected him.
" -- Jay McGwire, talking about his brother Mark in reported book proposal

Jay McGwire writes in his proposal that his brother "began to use, but in low dosages so he wouldn't lift his way out of baseball. Deca-Durabolin helped with his joint problems and recovery, while growth hormone helped his strength, making him leaner in the process. I became the first person to inject him, like most first-timers he couldn't plunge in the needle himself. Later a girlfriend injected him."

Jose Canseco, in a book he wrote in 2005, claims he and McGwire, former Oakland A's teammates, used performance-enhancing drugs as far back as 1988. Jay McGwire disputes that in the book proposal.

The McGwire brothers reportedly haven't spoken to each other for years.

The book, "The McGwire Family Secret: The Truth about Steroids, a Slugger and Ultimate Redemption," is reportedly being sent by Jay McGwire to several publishing houses in New York. Deadspin.com said that it has been turned down by "many" publishers.

Jay McGwire is a bodybuilder. He writes in the proposal that he took his brother to his supplier and trainer after a 1994 bodybuilding championship, which Jay won. He says McGwire started using performance-enhancing substances then.

Jay McGwire claims in the proposal that Mark McGwire used androstenedione in 1998 to allow Mark "to avoid all the potential adverse side effects that could occur from using anabolic steroids, such as water retention, hair loss, and liver, heart, or kidney stress. In addition, he wouldn't have cholesterol problems or testicular atrophy. And there were no problems with the law."

McGwire hit 70 home runs in the 1998 season, breaking Roger Maris' single-season record. It has since been eclipsed by Barry Bonds.

Jay McGwire, in the proposal, also says he wished his brother would have confessed at the famous congressional hearing, instead of saying he wasn't going to talk about the past. Jay McGwire also writes that he doesn't believe missing out on the Hall of Fame will affect his brother.

"Mark is a man I think most would like to forgive because his reason wasn't nefarious -- it was for survival," he wrote, according to the proposal. "My bringing the truth to surface about Mark is out of love. I want Mark to live in truth to see the light, to come to repentance so he can live in freedom -- which is the only way to live. "

The Deadspin.com report does not say if it asked Mark McGwire for comment on the proposal. Attempts by ESPN to reach McGwire on Thursday have been unsuccessful.

McGwire has been out of the public eye since retiring from the St. Louis Cardinals in 2001. He is now 45 years old.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Wow turned in by his brother! Low by any standards. The love and forgiveness crap makes me sick, it's just a ploy for him to make money and piss on his brother. What a rat bastard!

white is right

Hall of Famer
Well Sammy Sosa the black version of the Michelin Man tested positive in 03'. I thought rice and beans magically turned you into 60+ homer player. Here is the wire story...Sammy Sosa Tested Positive for Steroids in 2003, NYT Reports
Share | Email | Print | A A A

By Michael Sillup

June 16 (Bloomberg) -- Sammy Sosa, the No. 6 home run hitter in Major League Baseball history, tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug in 2003, the New York Times reported, citing lawyers with knowledge of drug-test results.

Sosa, who joined with Mark McGwire in a chase of baseball's single-season home-run record in 1998, was a member of the Chicago Cubs the year of the positive test.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Let's not forget the greatest player to set foot on the diamond (& whom was also clean of PEDs)...my fellow Georgian...Ty Cobb!
smiley4.gif

Solomon Kane

Mentor
Sosa and Palmeiro, the two players who have (most obviously) benefited the most from steroids. Both of them 10-12 homer men before hitting the juice.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Here's to Slamin' Sammy, the biggest cheat baseball will ever know. The highlights of Sammy's career include going from a 175 pound rookie to a WWE character, getting caught with a corked bat and "forgetting" the English language in front of Congress. Thankfully, he's got that million dollar smile........

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It'll be interesting to see what Sosa's HOF vote totals are compared to McGwire's. McGwire was a legitimate elite power threat his entire career; he still holds the major league record for home runs by a rookie with 49. In fact, as with Roger Clemens, the "evidence" connecting McGwire to steroid use is no more than bitter hearsay from an enemy (a world-class a-hole in the case of McGwire; anda former trainer turned adversary in Clemens' case).

Sosa never exceeded 15 home runs his first four seasons in the bigs. Then he went five seasons hitting between 25 and 40; then all of a sudden he went 66, 63, 50, 64, and 49. If McGwire is going to languish at around 25 percent support each year when it comes to Hall of Fame voting, then Sosa, who was as one-dimensional a player as McGwire, should get significantly less support. But I'll bet it won't happen that way. I don't think he'll get in, but he'll outpoll McGwire, based on his skin color and his "charismatic" smile.