Bonds is really innocent!!!

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
BALCO Founder Denies Giving Bonds Steroids By DAN GOODIN, Associated Press Writer
Thu Mar 30, 6:19 PM ET

SAN MATEO, Calif. - BALCO founder Victor Conte insisted Thursday that he never gave performance-enhancing drugs to Barry Bonds and that a new book that makes those claims is "full of outright lies."

Conte spoke to The Associated Press outside his San Mateo home hours after his release from prison, where he spent four months after pleading guilty to orchestrating an illegal steroids distribution scheme that allegedly involved many high-profile athletes, including Bonds.

Asked whether he gave Bonds performance-enhancing drugs, Conte said: "No, I did not."

A new book, "Game of Shadows," by two San Francisco Chronicle reporters, chronicles the founding of the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative and details alleged extensive steroid use by Bonds and other baseball stars. Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig announced Thursday that former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell will lead an investigation into the claims.

"I plan to provide evidence in the near future to prove that much of what is written in the book is untrue," Conte told the AP. He declined to list specific inaccuracies or what evidence he would provide, but said the book is "about the character assassination of Barry Bonds and myself."

"It's my opinion that the two writers of the book have a disease called fabrication-itis," Conte said, holding a copy of "Game of Shadows" as he stood on his front steps.

The book's authors, Lance Williams and Mark Fainaru-Wada, were on an airplane Thursday and not available for comment.

Lisa Johnson, a spokeswoman for Gotham Books, which published "Game of Shadows," said: "Gotham Books stands by Lance Williams and Mark Fainaru-Wada, and we stand by their research."

"We stand by the reporting that Mark and Lance did throughout this story and in all the stories that were published in the paper," Chronicle executive vice president and editor Phil Bronstein said. "And if and when Mr. Conte speaks further about this, I'm sure we'll report about that as well."

Conte was picked up by his family after his 5:30 a.m. release from Taft Correctional Institution, about 40 miles southwest of Bakersfield, according to spokeswoman Mandy Ruff.

About five hours later, Conte arrived at his green two-story house in San Mateo, about 20 miles south of San Francisco, in a white sports utility vehicle with darkened windows.

Wearing blue jeans, a red sweat shirt and a baseball cap, Conte said "it feels great" to be out of prison. He said prison was "like a men's retreat," during which he read, gave music lessons to fellow inmates, coached a sprinting team and participated in a debate about steroids.

Conte founded and managed the Burlingame-based BALCO, where the steroids were sold. He pleaded guilty to money laundering and a steroid distribution charge, and dozens of other charges were dropped as part of his plea deal.

Conte was sentenced in October to four months in prison and four months' home confinement in a plea deal with federal prosecutors.

Baseball investigators could seek to interview Conte about steroid use in the game.

Bond, who has denied using steroids, was the most prominent athlete linked to BALCO. He testified in December 2003 to the federal grand jury investigating the case but has not been charged with a crime.

Other baseball players linked to BALCO includeNew York Yankees stars Jason Giambi and Gary Sheffield.

Olympic track and field starsMarion Jones andTim Montgomery and former NFL player Bill Romanowski also were called to testify in front of the grand jury. No athletes were charged in the scheme.

Greg Anderson, Bonds' personal trainer, was sentenced to three months behind bars and an additional three months of home confinement after pleading guilty to money laundering and a steroid distribution charge.

BALCO vice president James Valente was sentenced to three years' probation, and track coach Remi Korchemny received a year of probation.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Yes and I am the second coming.........
smiley36.gif

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Torii Hunter thinks so:

Race is called issue in Bonds case
Torii Hunter says the probe is unfair because Barry Bonds hasn't tested positive for steroids.
Joe Christensen, Star Tribune

Last update: April 01, 2006 - 10:00 PM

BRADENTON, FLA. - Twins center fielder Torii Hunter said racism could be a factor in Major League Baseball's recent decision to open an investigation into alleged steroid use by Barry Bonds and other players.

"I'm a black guy, I talk to a lot of black players, a lot of black people," Hunter said Saturday. "They get that impression. If you keep talking about [Bonds' alleged steroid use] so much, and this guy's never tested positive for steroids ... you're going to give people in my community a different look.

"They're going to be like, 'Why you messing with this guy?' And they're going to automatically think it's because he's black. I'm not saying it's because of that. It might be 30/70 -- 70 percent because they don't like them. Thirty percent might be racism. But that's the way society is. We see a lot of things in black and white."

Commissioner Bud Selig launched the investigation Thursday, picking former Senate minority leader George Mitchell to lead the probe. Selig has said the timing of the investigation stems from specific details of alleged steroid use by Bonds and other players, outlined in the recent book "Game of Shadows."

On Thursday, Hunter was quoted in USA Today, saying, "It's so obvious what's going on. [Bonds] has never failed a drug test and said he never took steroids, but everybody keeps trying to disgrace him. How come nobody even talks about Mark McGwire anymore? Or [Rafael] Palmeiro?

"Whenever I go home [to Pine Bluff, Ark.], I hear people say all of the time, 'Baseball just doesn't like black people. Here's the greatest hitter in the game, and they're scrutinizing him like crazy.' It's killing me because you know it's about race."

Hunter expanded upon those thoughts Saturday.

"I can't believe they turned on the heat right before the season started," he said, "right when he's seven home runs away from Babe Ruth's record."

Hunter also said he feels the investigation will work against the progress baseball has made with its recently stiffened drug policy, which penalizes a first-time steroid user for 50 games.

"I'm telling you as a major league baseball player, steroids are not a problem in baseball," Hunter said. "Now that we have the new policy, it's not a problem anymore. The problem is absolutely gone.

"We took the steroid test a couple weeks ago, and nobody failed it. Nobody's going to fail it. But if you do [the investigation], then it's like, 'Well that [policy] doesn't work."

Source

"Asked whether he gave Bonds performance-enhancing drugs, Conte said: "No, I did not."

This is why context is so important. Conte may be telling the literal truth; "he" may not have "given" Bonds steroids but I am positive that SOMEONE connected to BALCO delivered the goods.

This type of statement reminds me of the crack dealers who attempt to remain "clean" by refusing to sell in a hand-to-hand delivery; instead, they tell the buyer to put the money on the ground and then they put the rock next to it. It doesn't change the nature of the transaction one bit.

I am utterly sick of the "debate" about whether Bonds juices or not. The fact is, and will always be, that men DO NOT disnificantly increase muscle mass after age 35. Our DNA does not provide for it.