Bodybuilding- NPC Junior Nationals

dhandler19

I know bodybuilding is a borderline sport and the results are generally subjective but it is what it is.

While black athletes have achieved a lot of prominence in the sport White athletes continue to dominate more than the media narrative would imply.

Case in point in the 2010 NPC Junior Nationals. Not only was the overall won by White bodybuilder Matt Lowden but six of the seven class winners were White bodybuilders as well. This contest is often a bellweather for where the sport is heading.

For more info on this contest check out Muscualr Development's page

Also you can see Matt and some of the other class winners at this video

kre08

Guru
I don't follow bodybuilding anymore, but there was a time in my teens when I did and I do remember there was always an underlying racial component involved. I don't know if I'd describe it as a Caste system in it's entirety, but in many ways it was. It was sort of interesting and complex, but other than that I'm not sure how I'd describe it. Any thoughts on that Dhandler19?

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I also used to follow bodybuilding in the late 80s-mid 90s. Some of my favorites are Big Lou, The Austrian Oak (pre NeoCON days), Dorian "Blood & Guts" Yates & Gunter Schlierkamp. IMO, Haney & Coleman can't carry Arnold's trunks (on their best days).
smiley2.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I have the 25th anniversary of Pumping Iron. I love that movie and it has interviews with the guys from back then to current day. Arnold was quite the character.