Bob Knight

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Any opinions on Knight? I've always thought him a bit of an ogre, but the Caste System hates him which is reason enough to like him. Hey, can we see the chair-throwing video again! When he was run out of Indiana a few years ago the media rejoiced, figuring he was finished with coaching a major college team, but he's gone on to become the all-time winningest coach in Division I. The media seems about as happy as they'd be if John Rocker became the all-time leader in saves.

I doubt Knight's at all racially conscious, but at least he recruited top white players to play for Indiana while he was there.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Isiah Thomas hates his old coach Bob Knight which is ANOTHER reason to like the guy.

PitBull

Guru
I like Knight--he runs his team, not the players. He not afraid to use the
bench to discipline kids, he stresses fundamentals, and he gets an awful lot
out of effort from his players. Very few of the kids he won with were NBA
stars, something other NCAA championship and winningest coaches in Div I
basketball can't say. I mean, how many NBA stars came out of North
Carolina?

He will recruit and play white kids with talent too. He is probably one of the
fairer coaches out there. He is old school--he is not afraid to get mad and
show it publicly. I think the results speak for themselves.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Keith Olbermann also despises Bobby Knight, which is yet another reason to like the guy.

white tornado

Mentor
Huge a$$hole I don't know why any one would want to play for him.

Where is Isiah Thomas on record as hating Knight? He invited him to
practices when he coached the Pacers. He refused to verfy Jim Thomas'
accusation of Knight using the "n-word" in practice (when Knight
allegedly asked Isiah if he wanted to end up like his brothers, just another
n- from Chicago).

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i am a fan of Bobby Knight.

while he is certainly not a perfect individual, as a basketball player he is the kind of coach i would LOVE to play for... you always know where you stand with him.

there are no political machinations or player favoritism with him, everyone plays by the same rules. if you break the rules, you pay the piper regardless if you're the big-time star or the walk-on at the end of the bench.

he expects EVERYONE who plays for him to play hard and play by his rules. if you don't, it's the bench or the door. unlike most coaches at big-time programs who only pay lip-service to academics and off-court discipline, if you don't keep your nose clean off the court and get good grades in the classroom, Kinght will bust your butt, too.

maybe the strongest aspect of his coaching legacy for me, aside from winning, is his relationship with his former players. nearly EVERY player he has coached has invited him to their wedding or called him for advice after their playing days. how much stronger an endorsement can a basketball coach get?