Blazers: 3 guys, one roster spot

Shav, Steven Hill, Luke Jackson.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Before the Trail Blazers headed here for the third of seven exhibition games, coach Nate McMillan tried to play a little poker with the Portland media.

He was asked if center Steven Hill was the most likely free agent to secure the 15th and final roster spot.

McMillan pursed his lips in an attempt to hide a smile, then did something close to a bobblehead impersonation, nodding his head up and down.

"That's my poker face," McMillan said, laughing after realizing he revealed which way he is leaning.

But after Friday's 102-80 win over Atlanta in front of 12,457 at Kansas City's Sprint Center, another free agent has entered the equation, prompting McMillan to temper his previous enthusiasm about Hill, the bearded and long-haired rookie.

Free-agent forward Shavlik Randolph, who has played 79 NBA games in three seasons with Philadelphia, hit all nine of his shots and finished with 19 points, 10 rebounds and three blocks in 20 minutes. It was a performance that came on the heels of a pregame assertion by general manager Kevin Pritchard that Randolph has just as many votes from the basketball operations staff as Hill.

"Hey, Shavlik can play; I will tell you that right now," McMillan said. "Watching him in training camp, and some of the things he does -- he's tricky with the ball, has a very high basketball I.Q. in playing off guys, and tonight he shot the ball better than I have seen him shoot it."

Randolph is a 6-foot-10, 240-pound power forward who played three seasons at Duke. Last season, he played in nine games for the 76ers before dislocating and breaking his left ankle during a practice, causing him to miss the rest of the season.

He is not the most graceful of players -- he often falls during practices and games -- but he has a knack for getting his hands on rebounds and fighting through traffic to score. On Friday, he even hit several outside jumpers. It was his most extensive exhibition action (he played three minutes against Sacramento), as McMillan has been playing LaMarcus Aldridge and Ike Diogu at power forward, and Randolph has made all 10 of his shots.

Pritchard said the Blazers are trying to make the decision while balancing talent with the team's needs. Hill, a former Southeastern Conference defensive player of the year, is the perfect sparring partner for physical centers Greg Oden and Joel Przybilla. The thinking is that Hill can lessen the bumps and bruises Przybilla will endure throughout the season's many practices, while also providing an emergency stopgap should Oden or Przybilla get injured.

"It would be a good fit," McMillan said of Hill. "So we are definitely considering him."

Randolph has NBA experience and more well-rounded skills, but plays a position where the Blazers are deep with Aldridge, Diogu, Channing Frye and sometimes Travis Outlaw.

Two other free agents -- former Oregon player Luke Jackson and point guard Jamaal Tatum -- have played sparingly. Jackson, a small forward who has played in two of the three exhibition games, scored seven points against Golden State and two on Friday. Pritchard said he believes Jackson, who has played in 73 NBA games, is still an NBA player, and McMillan noted there still are four exhibition games to assess the four free agents.

"All of those guys have a chance," McMillan said. "We haven't decided on Steve, Randolph, Jamaal or Luke. All of them have a shot. And it won't be decided until late, because of the possibility of injuries."
Notes:McMillan's starting lineup was rookie Jerryd Bayless at point guard, Brandon Roy at shooting guard, Outlaw at small forward, Aldridge at power forward and Oden at center. Bayless had 15 points, seven rebounds and seven assists, but he had four turnovers and often frustrated teammates by being out of position. "He's a rookie," McMillan said. "This is what we have to expect." ...

Roy and Aldridge were the most impressive players on the court. Roy finished with 14 points and four assists on 6 of 9 shooting in 24 minutes, displaying his full arsenal of moves. Aldridge made 7 of 12 shots and finished with 14 points and seven rebounds in 24 minutes. ...

Oden played 23 minutes, his longest action of the exhibition season, and made 5 of 6 shots to finish with 11 points and five rebounds. Only one of the shots was a dunk as he made two jump hooks and two tip-ins. He made 1 of 3 free throws and is 8 of 14 in exhibitions. ...

Outlaw continues to struggle with his shot. One game after shooting 1 of 12, Outlaw was 2 of 9, making two three-pointers. ...

McMillan was pleased with the overall game of point guard Sergio Rodriguez, who finished with seven assists and two turnovers in 26 minutes. He scored eight points, making 2 of 4 shots from three-point range. ...

A player that continues to impress is 19-year-old rookie Nicolas Batum. The small forward was again all over the court, finishing with 10 points and two blocks in 20 minutes.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Well Luke Jackson, Steven Hill and Jamall Tatum were cut in favor of Shavlik Randolph. Hill is athletic, but raw for a center offensively. Luke Jackson could be a decent NBA swing man, maybe even a solid starter, if he could avoid injury. All three of those white guys deserve an NBA home, but at least Randolph was kept. Randolph is "very" athletic for a big man and had a good pre-season

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
how these three players were in competition with each other for the last roster spot in confusing, to say the least.

none of them are remotely similar, in either style or position. so why weren't they in competition with others at their appointed spots?
smiley5.gif

7-foot center Steven Hill was quite simply THE best defensive big man in the NCAA the last three seasons, despite having to play within the constraints of "playing defense while white" rule. offensively he's not much of a threat, except around the rim (which he plays above), but i could list a dozen blacks off the top of my head who are similarly limited yet still get minutes. i can't understand how the Trailblazers are so good defensively that they can't use him. i saw them play D last year, and they sucked.

Luke Jackson is a smooth swing man who played three positions in college, all equally well. in what he could do on the offensive end, he was much like a Grant Hill-type player before his back injury with three-point range, and his performance in the NBDL and summer leagues showed he appears to be recovered. "if" he is fully recovered, how scouts say he's not good enough to start, much less make a roster, is simply mind boggling.

Shavlik Randolph always had the talent. he has just never put it together consistently, and in my mind he is one of the few white players who was rightly labeled as soft. hopefully that has changed and he will take advantage of this opportunity and revitalize his career.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
again, i don't understand this roster competition. none of the three white men played the same spot, so why were they in competition with each other for the last spot on the roster?

also, i've now seen the Trailblazers play this season, and they could use some better talent.

i mean seriously. Nicloas Batum is better than Luke Jackson? Ike Diogu is better than Shav Randolph? Channing Frye is better than Steven Hill?
smiley5.gif
give me a break.
smiley11.gif

edited to add: Rudy Fernandez looked damn good, though. that cat is wicked.
smiley32.gif
Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

In SI's NBA preview, it mentions how during the Olympics, Nate Millen had a hard time not getting excited on the bench when Fernandez was lighting up the USA team Millen was assisting.